Now that most of the shock has worn off....

Old July 5th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Now that most of the shock has worn off....

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"Jane" wrote in message
On Jul 5, 8:15 am, outsider wrote:
Jane wrote in news:4aca6bb2-547f-434f-aefd-
:

I got FIRED on Thursday!! There was no issues, no warning, no
clue.
The project manager just said that he needed to speak to me, and
that
was it. They wanted me Off The Project, and I wasn't even
allowed to
for
me. My co-workers have to pack up the rest of my stuff.

I've been there almost exactly 4 years. Everybody seems to like
me. A
couple of departments think I can walk on water because I always
take
the time to take care of them properly (helping them with
computer
stuff). One of my co-workers called me at home to find out
details,
and he says that this is 'messed up'. Even the project manager
was
****ed. There's something funny going on, and he needs ask some
questions. Meanwhile, I have full pay until the end of July,
and
benefits until the end of August. That's it. 2 months to find
a new
job.

I spent most of Friday evening on the phone, yelling that 'that
Rat
******* FIRED me!!' I had to get that out of my system, you see,
because calling him 'that rat *******' in an interview wouldn't
go
over well. *grin* Officially, this is going to be called a
layoff,
so getting a new job shouldn't be a problem.

I would enjoy this 'vacation' so much more if I knew when the
ending
would be.

*sigh*

The Princess Rita doesn't seem to care that I'm home. I think
this is
going to hit really hard on Monday, when I have nowhere to go.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

What reason was given?

Andy

The boss claimed that I didn't know my job well enough. Anyone who
actually *works* with me says that he's a liar and it's a bogus
charge. I'm contract, he's government, so there's no chance of
fighting it. They are talking about outsourcing the data center,
and
this may be just the first in a long line of unfair firings just so
the government doesn't have to pay severance.

Your tax dollars at work, folks.

Jane

Aside from the fact that the "reason" was obviously bogus, even if
it were true, that would be no excuse for not letting you go back to
get your own purse. What a jerk!

Joy

The reasons are legal. You have to treat everyone the same in the
situation or get sued by anyone you single out.

Jobs I've had, it would only take seconds to take client lists etc if
allowed back at your desk. I'm sure a computer could be messed up
nearly as quickly.

Jo

Old July 5th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

hopitus wrote:
On Jul 5, 12:57 pm, Jane wrote:
On Jul 5, 8:15 am, outsider wrote:

Jane wrote in news:4aca6bb2-547f-434f-aefd-
:

I got FIRED on Thursday!! There was no issues, no warning, no
clue. The project manager just said that he needed to speak to
me, and that was it.

What reason was given?

Andy

The boss claimed that I didn't know my job well enough. Anyone who
actually *works* with me says that he's a liar and it's a bogus
charge. I'm contract, he's government, so there's no chance of
fighting it. They are talking about outsourcing the data center,
and this may be just the first in a long line of unfair firings
just so the government doesn't have to pay severance.

Your tax dollars at work, folks.

Jane

Your latest post here reiterates what happened to a relative of mine.
She was also "contract" and it was "gov't military"employment of
several years. I am beginning to be suspicious of this "contract" and/
or
"consultant" stuff - which BTW I always worked medically for large
hospital corporations on a payroll w/accompanying benefits. I totally
go with Evelyn's outlook on the whole layoff/firing thing. White House
Occupant just made headlines for signing a 164B war budget which
will go on after he's out...talk about tax $$$, Jill?

Huh?! I didn't say anything about tax dollars.

Jill
Old July 5th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Phoenix wrote:
outsider wrote:
What reason was given?

I'm contract, he's government, so there's no chance of
fighting it. They are talking about outsourcing the data center,
and this may be just the first in a long line of unfair firings

You should also be eligible for COBRA (carrying on your group
health insurance) benefits, if you pay the premium, for 18 months
after the last day they pay for, so don't buy the "one month more
insurance" thing.

Except with COBRA you have to pay the entire premium yourself. Most people
who have been covered by a group policy (and many contract workers aren't)
have no idea what the total premium is until they get the COBRA information
in the mail. When I lost my job the premium was going to be over
$350/month, and that was just single coverage. I've no idea how families
manage.

Another option, again assuming Jane had the employer's group insurance, is
Conversion. This is an option to convert to an individual policy, rather
than continue on the group policy under COBRA. It's worth checking into
both options, but neither one is going to be cheap. The employer must
notify you of these options within 30 days; the employee (if previously
covered) has 60 days to elect to continue under COBRA or to convert their
coverage to an individual policy.

Sometimes having had an insurance license comes in handy. LOL

Jill

Old July 5th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Joy wrote:
"Jane" wrote in message
On Jul 5, 8:15 am, outsider wrote:
Jane wrote in news:4aca6bb2-547f-434f-aefd-
:

I got FIRED on Thursday!! There was no issues, no warning, no
clue. The project manager just said that he needed to speak to
me, and that was it.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

What reason was given?

Andy

The boss claimed that I didn't know my job well enough. Anyone who
actually *works* with me says that he's a liar and it's a bogus
charge.

Jane

Aside from the fact that the "reason" was obviously bogus, even if it
were true, that would be no excuse for not letting you go back to get
your own purse. What a jerk!

Joy

Unfortunately, that's the norm these days.

Jill
Old July 6th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message

Aside from the fact that the "reason" was obviously bogus, even if
it were true, that would be no excuse for not letting you go back to
get your own purse. What a jerk!

The reasons are legal. You have to treat everyone the same in the
situation or get sued by anyone you single out.

Jobs I've had, it would only take seconds to take client lists etc if
allowed back at your desk. I'm sure a computer could be messed up
nearly as quickly.

So why don't they get someone else to bring her the purse, along with
any other personal item she needs, while she waits with the security
person at the front door? That couldn't be *that* hard to do.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old July 6th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Jofirey" wrote in message

The reasons are legal. You have to treat everyone the same in the
situation or get sued by anyone you single out.

Jobs I've had, it would only take seconds to take client lists etc if
allowed back at your desk. I'm sure a computer could be messed up nearly
as quickly.

Jo

Unfortunately, that pretty well sums it up. It is unusual to do this
without any advance notice, but even that is becoming more common. The only
time I saw that happen is when the head of the computer department was
fired. He was permitted to go back to his office for his personal items,
but only with a security officer accompanying him. There were apparently
concerns that damage could be done very quickly to the computer system.

MaryL

Old July 6th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

. ..

"Jofirey" wrote in message

The reasons are legal. You have to treat everyone the same in the
situation or get sued by anyone you single out.

Jobs I've had, it would only take seconds to take client lists etc if
allowed back at your desk. I'm sure a computer could be messed up nearly
as quickly.

Jo

Unfortunately, that pretty well sums it up. It is unusual to do this
without any advance notice, but even that is becoming more common. The
only time I saw that happen is when the head of the computer department
was fired. He was permitted to go back to his office for his personal
items, but only with a security officer accompanying him. There were
apparently concerns that damage could be done very quickly to the computer
system.

MaryL

I can see that such concerns would be valid, especially when somebody had
been blindsided like that. However, I still think they could have treated
her like a human being by letting someone accompany her to get her purse and
any other personal items. I know that when I was working, I had various
things of my own in or on my desk.

Joy

Old July 6th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
Jofirey wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message

Aside from the fact that the "reason" was obviously bogus,
even if it were true, that would be no excuse for not letting
you go back to get your own purse. What a jerk!

The reasons are legal. You have to treat everyone the same in
the situation or get sued by anyone you single out.

Jobs I've had, it would only take seconds to take client lists
etc if allowed back at your desk. I'm sure a computer could be
messed up nearly as quickly.

So why don't they get someone else to bring her the purse, along
with any other personal item she needs, while she waits with the
security person at the front door? That couldn't be *that* hard
to do.

Jane said the project manager got her purse for her.

The project manager could have gone with her and let her get her own
purse.
Joy

They just don't do it that way. They want you to interact with your
co-workers as little as possible on your way out the door. Being escorted
to your desk to collect your purse (and in my case, my lunch bag and the
book I was reading on my lunch hour) doesn't fit the scenario of a nice
quiet "firing" where they can put their own spin on things when they inform
everyone. As if we don't talk to our co-workers outside the office. LOL

Jill