BENGAL cats

Old April 26th 05, 04:08 AM

Inbreeding. Yes, I understand and it concerns me. Six toes, hip

dysplasia,
and all the blood stuff. Thank you for the address.

Just FYI, a six-toed cat isn't the result of inbreeding; it's simply
the polydactyl gene. You can have a cat with six, or even seven, toes
on each paw, and the cat otherwise be robust, and genetically healthy.
Shelter moggies and purebreds alike.

Sherry

Old April 26th 05, 04:15 AM

CatNipped wrote:

The lack of willingness to take on a cat that already has

behavioral
problems doesn't necessarily mean a person is automatically going

dump *their own* cat at the first little inconvenience.

That is the part I tend to disagree with. I don't know, maybe they

would
come to love the cat enough to take care of it, but I've seen too

many
people either dump a cat out on the street or turn it into a kill

shelter.
I've become cynical in my old age, I guess.

Think about this scenario as an illustration:

Someone comes into the shelter to adopt a cat. We try to talk them into
a nice older cat that pees all over the place. No? How about this nice,
younger cat who has separation anxiety and will destroy your mini
blinds the first time you leave him alone. No again? You want to see a
kitten?
"Well, sorry, We can't let you adopt a kitten, since you don't want
these two cats with behavior issues, you might dump your kitten at the
first sign of non-acceptable behavior."

Sherry

Old April 26th 05, 04:29 AM
Philip

Mary wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message
link.net...
CatNipped wrote:

Philip, *PLEASE* buy a stuffed animal and *don't* get a cat! There
are *NO* guarantees that *ANY* cat you adopt will not do any of the
above (and *NO* I *DON'T* want to know how you taught him where it
was OK to yak). To
me (and to a lot of us here) adopting a cat is like adopting, or
birthing, a baby - you take what you get and love him/her no matter
what problems come along with him/her.

Dear lady ... calm down. Contain your hostility.

From the beginning, I had no doubt that I would meet up with a
person or two operating with an unhealthy dedication to their pets.

Phillip, I'm sorry, but she is right.

"She" is not right. More accurately, you agree with her eccentricity which
makes you both suspect. LOL That's cat logic for you. ;-)

snipped the drivel
And please, don't act like you did not expect your comments
to upset people. You are in a group where most of the people
who read and post really love cats. Use your head.

I made the disclaimer that I EXPECTED some of you to get your feathers
ruffled. That you inferred my warning as sarcasm is YOUR problem. Read
what I print ... don't interpret for the purposes playing the self righteous
victim. Ok? :^)

Old April 26th 05, 04:29 AM
Philip

Mary wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Oh God. Please tell me someone didn't really say "birthing a
baby"...that is so disrespectful of children. Cats aren't children.
Cats deserve love and dedication like children do. Companion
animals are a life-long committment. But they are in NO WAY the
same as having a child. That's ludicrous.

Oh what a craven coward you are Lyn. You can't even quote someone
*ELSE* who wrote my screen name. Watching you pretend you can't see
what I write cracks me up, but this is getting pathetic when you
have to alter what
*other* people write in order to snipe at me "anonymously".

As much as Megan freaks me out with her outrageous behavior, she is
at least woman enough to address directly what I write and doesn't
try to hide behind someone else to take pot shots at me. How
cowardly is *THAT*!!! You're ridiculous!

Lyn is a miserable asshole, who is determined to spread the misery.

CATFIGHT! LOL

Old April 26th 05, 04:29 AM
Philip

KellyH wrote:
"Philip" wrote
Thank you. I have toured two animal shelters this past week. Very
taxing. However, saving an animal from certain death is a ways down
the list from saving a child.

What does saving a child have to do with anything?

Kelly ... do keep up. :-)

Old April 26th 05, 04:29 AM
Philip

CatNipped wrote:
"Mary" wrote in message

Oh God. Please tell me someone didn't really say "birthing a
baby"...that is so disrespectful of children. Cats aren't children.
Cats deserve love and dedication like children do. Companion
animals are a life-long committment. But they are in NO WAY the
same as having a child. That's ludicrous.

CN has borne her own children from her own body. I think she
knows what she is talking about.

And to elaborate...

*ANY* living being under my roof has my love and protection, so in
*that way*, yes it is the same as having a child. Just as I would
not "get rid of" one of my children who had a behavioral problem,
neither would I "get rid of" one of my cats who had a behavioral
problem. I would either work relentlessly to correct the problem or
learn to live with it. I've never "purchased" a cat, an animate
possession. I've adopted cats, sentient beings. And the commitment
that entails lasts for the life of the cat.
*EVERYTHING* non-living in my home, including my home, takes second
place to all of the creatures living there. If I had to make a
choice between my house and my cats, I'd be packing my bags right now.

As for what Sherry posted, "At one time I'd have probably suggested
you get a Beanie Baby, but I'm starting to understand that *everyone*
isn't as passionate toward cats as most of us regular posters are,
but still make excellent cat owners with the right match." Sorry,
but I disagree with that. The problem with the above statement is
that if the cat becomes ill, injured, old, or just an inconvenience,
which any living being is likely to do, then the cat will be
abandoned or euthanized in a New York second. If you're not
passionate towards a living being in your care then you should find
someone to take it who is.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Ok "CP", let's play: What If?

Your house is well engulfed in fire. Your husband and two children are
standing on the sidewalk with you watching the flames. Suddenly you little
daughter cries out "Mommy! There's Pussycat in the bedroom window!!" (on the
second floor).

Are you going to risk your own life and thereby risking your children
growing up with some other woman raising them (husbands DO remarry) and race
into the burning house to attempt rescue or ... let the cat die?

Old April 26th 05, 04:29 AM
Philip

KellyH wrote:
"Philip" wrote
Ok, let's talk about this point. Here are some unacceptable
behaviors: Repeatedly urinating in random locations about the house.
Defecating on a pillow or other places beyond the litter box. Shredding
furniture. Biting visitors. Frequent / expensive vet bills due to
physical /
genetic defects. This is going to sound cold and unloving to read
but here goes: An indoor cat resides with me/us at our descretion. Cats
have always figured out the simply behavior rules pretty quick.
Even the rare times Rusty would yak up a furball, he'd do it on the
tile floor a few feet away from the litter box ... not on a fabric
surface. (you probably don't want to know how I taught him where it
was ok to yak).

So how do you know a kitten is not going to have any of these
problems? What if he does develop something down the line? My
brother adopted the most adorable 8 week old kitten two years ago,
and last year he developed eosiphilic (sp?) granuloma complex, which
requires him to get a shot every three months. What would you do if
this was your cat? Take him back to the shelter after a year and say
"sorry, he's defective"? Luckily, my brother's not that type of person.

And no, I probably don't want to know how you taught your cat where
it was ok to yak. My cats are free to yak wherever they happen to be.

This post is not worthy of a response ... on several points.

Old April 26th 05, 04:29 AM
Philip

--
-Kelly

Somebody equated getting a cat with birthing a baby elsewhere in the
thread. I think that's what he was referencing.

-L.

-L is runnin' with the Big Cats. LOL

Old April 26th 05, 04:38 AM

Ok "CP", let's play: What If?

Your house is well engulfed in fire. Your husband and two children

are
standing on the sidewalk with you watching the flames. Suddenly you

little
daughter cries out "Mommy! There's Pussycat in the bedroom window!!"

(on the
second floor).

Are you going to risk your own life and thereby risking your children

growing up with some other woman raising them (husbands DO remarry)

and race
into the burning house to attempt rescue or ... let the cat die?

Ummm..CP is a dude. A bachelor even. But I can answer the question for
you theoretically anyway. Yeah, he would run into a burning building to
save his cats. I'm pretty sure of it.

Sherry

Old April 26th 05, 04:40 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net...

Inbreeding. Yes, I understand and it concerns me. Six toes,

Many cats who are moggies (not purebreds, IOW the equivalent of a
"mongrel" - your normal ol' house cat) have 6 toes. They're called
polydactyls, their extra toes. Perfectly healthy cats - just have more
toes. Now, maybe extra toes can also be the result of inbreeding - I don't
know. The only polydactyls I've personally known of have been mixed
breeds/moggies.

Cathy