BENGAL cats

Old April 24th 05, 10:27 PM
Cat Protector

Obviously you don't comprehend that cats found at shelters are just as good
as purebreeds.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

There is reading and then there is comprehension, CP.

Old April 24th 05, 10:27 PM
Cat Protector

I have a life thank you. Maybe it is you who need to get one.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Philip" wrote in message
ink.net...
Get a life, CP.

Old April 25th 05, 03:46 AM
Hemmaholic

Phillip[,

I will soon be owned by two purebred Bengal kittens; I got my first one
about a month ago and I go to pick up his half-brother next week. I am
already owned by a moggy, a 12 year old spayed female that was my
daughter's cat. I am also owned by 5 feral cats who depend on me to
feed them. Guess that means they are no longer truely feral, since
they no longer have to hunt and kill their own food, or find dry, warm
shelter, or fight to keep their territory. They are all males and have
been neutered, so they don't even care about finding mates or having to
fight with other Toms. These fellows actually have it pretty good.

So, in actruality, I have 8 cats and only two are purebreds. Is one
better than the other? No way, just different, they are all felines,
and each one is distinctive.

All the nay sayers who try to convince me to feel guilty for
purchasing purebreds from a breeder instead of geting shelter cats can
save their breath. I don't buy into guilt trips. I suggest you don't
either.

Hemma

Old April 25th 05, 04:45 AM

Philip wrote:
-L. wrote:
Philip wrote:

Hmmm. There are times when the cat would have to be left to

his/her
own amusement for 24 hrs, maybe longer. Not often but still ...
Rusty was okay for 3 days alone in the house but when we return,
there was an aloofness for awhile and that look of "YOU left me
ALONE ... you turds!" But this only happens once a year.

Honestly, Phillip, all of the qualities you are looking for can be
found in a shelter Moggie. If you are not interested in adopting

an
older cat, look at the kittens. You can develop a bond from the
beginning, and it will be a very special relationship throughout

your
lives. No cat will ever replace the one you lost, but they each

have
their own special qualities that you will grow to love.

-L.

Thank you -L. The wife and I are aware of this reality. A kitten is

preferred for the reasons of bonding. Yes, I've gone thru the

bonding
exercises via hand feeding for the first few weeks and all that. So

there
is latitude here for temperament. Something between a lap cat and

one that
hooks into the accoustic ceiling when startled. LOL

But then, in my humble and somewhat expert opinion(*1), the
kitten-bonding thing is sort of crapola. The bonding would be solely on
*your* part, not the kittens. Older cats seem to bond just as well.
I've had several older cats that were just as devoted to me
specifically that I acquired as older cats with unknown history. And
I've raised kittens who grew up to be very aloof cats. I think the
temperament of a cat, if not present at birth, is largely set by 12
weeks.(*2) I love all my cats, but my idea of the ideal cat, like
yours, is something between a curtain-climber and a frantically-needy
lap cat. Out of five, I have one that fits that description!
Sherry
*1) Expert simply meaning I've taken in a crapload of adult stray cats
in the last 35 years
*2) Personal theory based on personal experience and anecdotal
evidence.

Old April 25th 05, 05:18 AM
-L.

[...]

I agree 100% for people like you and I who are seasoned "cat people",
but for someone like the OP who essentially wants a "replacement cat"
(for lack of better phrasing - and I don't mean that in a negative way)
and isn't interested in the potential "baggage"* of a second-hand
adult, I think to adopt an adult might be disasterous. Such people
often feel an easier bond with a kitten. It's gotta be a good fit on
both sides, and adult cat adoptions aren't for everyone.

-L.
*"baggage" here, again, being relative. I have found most "baggage" to
be labels put on by the previous owners, and when the cat is rehomed,
none or few of the same behaviors are exhibited.

Old April 25th 05, 05:53 AM

I agree 100% for people like you and I who are seasoned "cat people",
but for someone like the OP who essentially wants a "replacement cat"
(for lack of better phrasing - and I don't mean that in a negative

way)
and isn't interested in the potential "baggage"* of a second-hand
adult, I think to adopt an adult might be disasterous. Such people
often feel an easier bond with a kitten. It's gotta be a good fit on
both sides, and adult cat adoptions aren't for everyone.

-L.
*"baggage" here, again, being relative. I have found most "baggage"

be labels put on by the previous owners, and when the cat is rehomed,
none or few of the same behaviors are exhibited.

Point taken. Also, with adult cats, personalities vary *widely*. You've
got your leg-rubbers (bad choice for the elderly), the ones that hide
under the bed the first entire week, the "don't touch me's", and the
frantically needy lap cats that are constantly in your face wanting
attention. The curtain-climbing, super-active cats, and the ultra-timid
ones that flee at the sight of a broom or a doorbell. Unless shelter
personnel are *very* in-tune with each particular cat, it's a crap
shoot what you get. Fortunately, most shelters can analyze each cat's
personality for the adoptor.
But, then, with kittens, I still think the basic personality traits are
already in motion by 12 weeks. If a kitten is timid, it's usually going
to still be timid as an adult. If it's a lovey-dovey one that sucks on
your earlobes at the shelter, it's going to be that way as it grows up.
It's the personality traits that are a result of abuse, or improper
handling, I think that will disappear with the right owner.

Sherry

Old April 25th 05, 05:55 AM
Philip

"CP" : Go work out YOUR abandonment issues with a therapist ... a human
therapist.

Now if you please, put my screen name in your killfile.

Cat Protector wrote:
You are full of crap. I think you just don't like the fact someone is
willing to call your hand here. You seem to think that going to a
breeder is better than cats in the shelter. Your reasoning for not
supporting getting a cat from the shelter is simply because it is too
sad. What is sad is not giving a cat that needs one a really good
home when so many cats are in the shelter due to no fault of their
own. I really don't think you should have a cat since it is obvious
to me from what you posted that you are not ready. The cats in the
shelters deserve good and loving homes with humans that actually are
willing to care for them for life not just some part-time
responsibility.
It is apparent that no matter what anyone says that you are not going
to listen since you seem hell bent on getting a purebreed. I guess I
have said all I can say. You have proved my point that some people
like yourself see shelter cats as being lower in quality than a
purebreed which simply is not true.

www.panthertekit.com
"Philip" wrote in message
link.net...
But that is not your real reason. Your responses suggest that if the
other person does not agree with your viewpoint that repetition will
win them over. Forget it, CP. You are that transparent.

Cat Protector wrote:
Well sometimes one has to repeat themselves if they don't think the
other person is listening.

www.panthertekit.com
"Philip" wrote in message
link.net...
CP: Your message bears a striking similarity to playing broken
record. Cat Protector wrote:
I made your point? How? You seem stuck on getting a purebreed
which is sad when so many cats at the shelter need good and loving
homes. It is cat and kitten season so the best thing you can do is
adopt
from a shelter because it helps save a life and gives that cat
needing one, a home full of love and happiness.

www.panthertekit.com
"Philip" wrote in message
link.net...
Dear CP: You've made my point and I wish you well.

Cat Protector wrote:
All 3 of my cats are rescues and cats own you, not the other way
around. I rescued Jade from an abandoned apartment and found
Icarus as a stray. Isis I adopted from the Humane Society. I
also help promote cat adoptions as well as I have an Internet
radio and TV station for cats. You can check it out and see what
that
is all about. "Philip" wrote in
message
link.net...
"CP" ... how many cats do you own right now who were rescued
from an animal shelter? Do you also claim as many such kitties as
practical and then find them new homes too?

Cat Protector wrote:
I have no idea what is the big deal with Bengals. They're
beautiful cats but you can find some of the same traits in
cats that are awaiting adoption at the local shelter.

"Orchid" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:48:10 -0700, "Cat Protector"
wrote:

In what way do they help with the dishes.

*sigh* Please note the quotations around 'help'. Bengals
love to play in water. Therefore, running water would be a
great draw for paws and heads and faces and sometimes entire
bodies while the person is trying to do the dishes. They're
'helping'.
As for interactive, Bengals aren't
the only breed requiring this.

Where, exactly, did I say that only Bengals are interactive?
Any cat can have any of the traits I discuss -- it's just
that Bengals tend to have all of them

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! --
http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

Old April 25th 05, 05:55 AM
Philip

CP: As with ALL blanket generalizations rooted in unchecked emotion, your
assertion is false.

Old April 25th 05, 05:55 AM
Philip

Hemmaholic wrote:
[...]

Thank you Hemma. ;-)

Old April 25th 05, 05:55 AM
Philip

-L. wrote:
wrote:

[...]

-L: You have picked up on one important point. There is "personality" and
then there is "baggage". The few strays I took in years ago had "baggage"
that took a fair amount of work to correct. I'm a lot older now and my wife
would not be so tolerant of a misbehaving indoor only kittie as I would be
were I living alone again (perish the thought). This time around, it does
have to be a "good fit" which is what drives the preference for a kitten.