BENGAL cats

Old April 25th 05, 06:04 AM

I agree 100% for people like you and I who are seasoned "cat people",
but for someone like the OP who essentially wants a "replacement cat"
(for lack of better phrasing - and I don't mean that in a negative

way)
and isn't interested in the potential "baggage"* of a second-hand
adult, ...

-L.
*"baggage" here, again, being relative. I have found most "baggage"

be labels put on by the previous owners, and when the cat is rehomed,
none or few of the same behaviors are exhibited.

Of all my second-hand cats, Biskit is the one that I'd really love to
know her history. I know there is neglect, and abuse, judging from the
condition she was in, and having to have a BB removed from her side.
But she has the funniest, oddest little behavioral traits--makes me
wish she could talk.
1. She "digs" at the door and windows, or pictures on the wall,
mirrors. Stands on her hind legs and paws like she's digging a hole.
2. She is absolutely *terrified* of the outdoors. Used to be even open
windows. Like the "out" was going to come in and get her.
3. She plops at my feet if I'm in the kitchen and rolls on the tile
floor. She will continue to roll till I say, "ohhhh Bikkie, you're
cuuuute." Then she stops and goes about her business.
4. She will have *nothing* to do with the other cats. She doesn't
fight, but doesn't interact at all. She won't even eat with them.
5. If I"m sitting down, and she wants in my lap, she "asks" first. Just
a tiny little meow, and if I "invite her" she jumps up. If I'm sewing
or reading the paper, and ignore her, she'll jus lay on top of my feet.

Cats. They're all so different.

Sherry

Old April 25th 05, 06:23 AM
-L.

Philip wrote:

-L: You have picked up on one important point. There is

"personality" and
then there is "baggage". The few strays I took in years ago had

"baggage"
that took a fair amount of work to correct. I'm a lot older now and

my wife
would not be so tolerant of a misbehaving indoor only kittie as I

would be
were I living alone again (perish the thought). This time around, it

does
have to be a "good fit" which is what drives the preference for a

kitten.

I hope you find the "right fir" for you. My only advice, again, is
this: Don't discount the loveliness of the moggy. There are literally
dozens of purebred-wannabes in shelters, and IMO, there is nothing more
noble than saving the life of a cat - be it a kitten or otherwise.

-L.

Old April 25th 05, 06:56 AM

There is "personality" and
then there is "baggage". The few strays I
took in years ago had "baggage" that took
a fair amount of work to correct. I'm a lot
older now and my wife would not be so
tolerant of a misbehaving indoor only kittie
as I would be were I living alone again
(perish the thought).

If your wife is not tolerant when a cat exhibits certain behaviors, then
a Bengal is a very poor choice as behaviors that they are known to
exhibit sometimes do require a lot of tolerance.

This time around, it does have to be a
"good fit" which is what
drives the preference for a kitten.

A kitten would not be in your best interests either. Kittens are very
high energy and being normal for them includes biting, clawing,
attacking and getting into everything,.This is especially rue of
kittens that are alone with no playmates. These are not behaviors your
wife would likely tolerate for long and you have no idea if the kitten
will turn out to be what you want.

If you want to make an intelligent choice that will result in a good
fit, contact foster based rescues and adopt an older cat. Fosters
actually live on a day to day basis with these cats that are up for
adoption, which have fully developed personalities, and they know all
the behaviors and quirks each cat has. This is your best option for
making an informed decision and will result in your getting a cat that
is a true match for your household. You'll not only be giving a cat in
need a home, but you'll also be saving a life as the space will be free
and the foster can take another cat off of death row and give it
shelter. It's a win-win for all.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old April 25th 05, 07:12 AM
-L.

[...]

Yes, so weird and wonderful. Both of mine were adopted as kittens,
so not much history. But Mimi was from a farm (dumped at the HS) and I
have often wondered if she is somewhat inbred because she's so quirky.
The one I really have always wondered about was my dog Tosh (RB - I
found her dumped in the middle of winter, about 10-11 mos. old). She
took so long to come around, and yet was loyal and loving up until the
very end. Amazing resilience, that one.

-L.

Old April 25th 05, 08:48 AM
Philip

There is "personality" and
then there is "baggage". The few strays I
took in years ago had "baggage" that took
a fair amount of work to correct. I'm a lot
older now and my wife would not be so
tolerant of a misbehaving indoor only kittie
as I would be were I living alone again
(perish the thought).

If your wife is not tolerant when a cat exhibits certain behaviors,
then a Bengal is a very poor choice as behaviors that they are known
to exhibit sometimes do require a lot of tolerance.

Ok, let's talk about this point. Here are some unacceptable behaviors:
Repeatedly urinating in random locations about the house. Defecating on a
pillow or other places beyond the litter box. Shredding furniture. Biting
visitors. Frequent / expensive vet bills due to physical / genetic defects.
This is going to sound cold and unloving to read but here goes: An indoor
cat resides with me/us at our descretion. Cats have always figured out the
simply behavior rules pretty quick. Even the rare times Rusty would yak up a
furball, he'd do it on the tile floor a few feet away from the litter box
.... not on a fabric surface. (you probably don't want to know how I taught
him where it was ok to yak).

This time around, it does have to be a
"good fit" which is what
drives the preference for a kitten.

A kitten would not be in your best interests either. Kittens are very
high energy and being normal for them includes biting, clawing,
attacking and getting into everything,.This is especially rue of
kittens that are alone with no playmates. These are not behaviors your
wife would likely tolerate for long and you have no idea if the kitten
will turn out to be what you want.

I disagree. Furthermore, you are making assumptions.

If you want to make an intelligent choice that will result in a good
fit, contact foster based rescues and adopt an older cat. Fosters
actually live on a day to day basis with these cats that are up for
adoption, which have fully developed personalities, and they know all
the behaviors and quirks each cat has. This is your best option for
making an informed decision and will result in your getting a cat that
is a true match for your household.

snip

Megan

You point here is a logical one. Thank you. :-)

Old April 25th 05, 08:48 AM
Philip

-L. wrote:
Philip wrote:

-L: You have picked up on one important point. There is
"personality" and then there is "baggage". The few strays I took in
years ago had "baggage" that took a fair amount of work to correct.
I'm a lot older now and my wife would not be so tolerant of a
misbehaving indoor only kittie as I would be were I living alone
again (perish the thought). This time around, it does have to be a
"good fit" which is what drives the preference for a kitten.

I hope you find the "right fir" for you. My only advice, again, is
this: Don't discount the loveliness of the moggy. There are literally
dozens of purebred-wannabes in shelters, and IMO, there is nothing
more noble than saving the life of a cat - be it a kitten or
otherwise.

-L.

Thank you. I have toured two animal shelters this past week. Very taxing.
However, saving an animal from certain death is a ways down the list from
saving a child.

Old April 25th 05, 02:26 PM
CatNipped

"Philip" wrote in message
link.net...
wrote:
[...]

Philip, *PLEASE* buy a stuffed animal and *don't* get a cat! There are *NO*
guarantees that *ANY* cat you adopt will not do any of the above (and *NO* I
*DON'T* want to know how you taught him where it was OK to yak). To me (and
to a lot of us here) adopting a cat is like adopting, or birthing, a baby -
you take what you get and love him/her no matter what problems come along
with him/her.

Old April 25th 05, 04:15 PM
Philip

CatNipped wrote:

Philip, *PLEASE* buy a stuffed animal and *don't* get a cat! There
are *NO* guarantees that *ANY* cat you adopt will not do any of the
above (and *NO* I *DON'T* want to know how you taught him where it was OK
to yak). To
me (and to a lot of us here) adopting a cat is like adopting, or
birthing, a baby - you take what you get and love him/her no matter
what problems come along with him/her.

Dear lady ... calm down. Contain your hostility.

From the beginning, I had no doubt that I would meet up with a person or two
operating with an unhealthy dedication to their pets. You have suggested as
much with your "birthing a baby" analogy. These same people can possess
medical and behavioral insights simply because they have immersed themselves
in their pets. These people are eccentric. By the same token "CapNipped",
there is probably another cat owner more involved than even you who would
suggest in moment of passion that YOU should own a stuffed animal. Believe
it.

You need to identify where I have said I'm looking for "guarantees." Of
course, such is actually your personal inference because you're on the
defensive. I am out to discover if the cat breeds I have an interest in are
suitable ... and to that end you are of no assistance. Once I have
sufficient input from those who have these breeds, -I- ... not you, will
choose a particular cat based partly on what I have learned from owners of
the breed and partly from what a particular cat displays to me.

Old April 25th 05, 04:33 PM
CatNipped

"Philip" wrote in message
link.net...
CatNipped wrote:

Philip, *PLEASE* buy a stuffed animal and *don't* get a cat! There
are *NO* guarantees that *ANY* cat you adopt will not do any of the
above (and *NO* I *DON'T* want to know how you taught him where it was OK
to yak). To
me (and to a lot of us here) adopting a cat is like adopting, or
birthing, a baby - you take what you get and love him/her no matter
what problems come along with him/her.

Dear lady ... calm down. Contain your hostility.

I'm perfectly calm, thank you, and I'm not being hostile (I did say
"please", didn't I?).

From the beginning, I had no doubt that I would meet up with a person or
two
operating with an unhealthy dedication to their pets. You have suggested
as

How is my dedication to my pets unhealthy?

much with your "birthing a baby" analogy. These same people can possess

A pet is a part of your family unless you have the unhealthy notion that it
is an animate possession to be discarded when inconvenient.

medical and behavioral insights simply because they have immersed
themselves
in their pets. These people are eccentric. By the same token "CapNipped",
there is probably another cat owner more involved than even you who would
suggest in moment of passion that YOU should own a stuffed animal.
Believe
it.

Oh, I do believe it, I'm sure some here would suggest it, right Megan?

You need to identify where I have said I'm looking for "guarantees." Of

Perhaps it was in the following quote:

"Here are some unacceptable behaviors:
Repeatedly urinating in random locations about the house. Defecating on a
pillow or other places beyond the litter box. Shredding furniture. Biting
visitors. Frequent / expensive vet bills due to physical / genetic defects.
This is going to sound cold and unloving to read but here goes: An indoor
cat resides with me/us at our descretion."

course, such is actually your personal inference because you're on the
defensive. I am out to discover if the cat breeds I have an interest in
are

No, I'm not on the defensive just because I find your attitude offensive.

suitable ... and to that end you are of no assistance. Once I have
sufficient input from those who have these breeds, -I- ... not you, will
choose a particular cat based partly on what I have learned from owners of
the breed and partly from what a particular cat displays to me.

Poor, poor cat, my heart breaks thinking about the poor creature you
"purchase" for you amusement.

Old April 25th 05, 04:47 PM
kaeli

In article .net, 1chip-
enlightened us with...
Cats have always figured out the
simply behavior rules pretty quick. Even the rare times Rusty would yak up a
furball, he'd do it on the tile floor a few feet away from the litter box
... not on a fabric surface. (you probably don't want to know how I taught
him where it was ok to yak).

I'd love to know, personally.

~kaeli~
No one is listening until you make a mistake.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace