Texas snow

Old December 25th 04, 03:37 PM
Annie Wxill

Default Texas snow

We are having a white Christmas in Corpus Christi, TX, U.S.A.
This morning I took a picture of our house with snow on the palm trees.
Overnight we got from 3 to 4 inches (I'll let Hans do his own math). It is
a record.
It's bad for anyone who needs to go anywhere. All the main roads are closed.
This morning we opened the door to let Rosie and Cinder take a look outside.
They were not amused. They took one look at the white stuff on the door mat
and came back in and settled down for a nap.
Jim and I threw a few snow balls and put some in the freezer. I tried to
make a snowman, but the snow wouldn't hold together.
Jim has a sore throat and went back to bed, where Cinder has taken on the
nurse cat responsibility and is doing her best to keep him warm.
Merry Christmas to everyone.
Annie

Old December 25th 04, 05:31 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "Annie Wxill"
wrote:

[...]

In 1959-1960, I spent (subjectively) at least a decade in the sixth
grade at San Antonio Military Academy of Texas. For the boarding
students, it wasn't just a place with brutal teachers, but with teachers
that seemed amused by violence among the students.

Most boarding students were, in one way or another, abandoned by parents
who could afford to send them to the school [1]. Most also had strong
Confederate sympathies, and the other Yankee and I bore an especial
burden.

So, when it snowed in San Antonio for the first time in decades, it was
the Northern revenge. We knew how to make snowballs, iceballs, and
nastier things!

[1] Actually, the uncle with whom I was living never paid the bill.
While it cost me my transcript and some medals for academic
performance, it was probably worth losing them to get away from
his control.
Old December 25th 04, 08:09 PM
Annie Wxill

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
In 1959-1960, I spent (subjectively) at least a decade in the sixth
grade at San Antonio Military Academy of Texas. ... So, when it snowed in
San Antonio for the first time in decades, it was
the Northern revenge. We knew how to make snowballs, iceballs, and
nastier things!

Howard,
I can see how that year seemed to last a decade. Thank goodness you got out
of there.
I did manage to get a snowman made later this morning. This snow is not as
good as what I'm used to (from growing up in the Northwest), but after
working with it a while, I got it to make reasonably good size snowman.
I don't think it would have been possible to stomp it down and sled on it,
but we don't have any hills here, anyway, even though we probably could
round up an adequate piece of cardboard to use as a sled.
Annie

Old December 25th 04, 09:13 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "Annie Wxill"
wrote:

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
In 1959-1960, I spent (subjectively) at least a decade in the sixth
grade at San Antonio Military Academy of Texas. ... So, when it snowed
in
San Antonio for the first time in decades, it was
the Northern revenge. We knew how to make snowballs, iceballs, and
nastier things!

Howard,
I can see how that year seemed to last a decade. Thank goodness you got
out
of there.

It did give me a permanent appreciation of unmade beds and unshined
shoes. Definitely was an adventure in survival. While I managed to avoid
the worst of it, I am not being at all facetious to say that the
punishment given to some 10 and 11 year olds who escaped was closer to
what we think of as POW camp war crimes than ordinary child abuse.

I did manage to get a snowman made later this morning. This snow is not
as
good as what I'm used to (from growing up in the Northwest), but after
working with it a while, I got it to make reasonably good size snowman.
I don't think it would have been possible to stomp it down and sled on
it,
but we don't have any hills here, anyway, even though we probably could
round up an adequate piece of cardboard to use as a sled.
Annie

No snow yet in the Washington DC area. I have mixed feelings about it
these days -- I do prefer cold weather, but I also have learned that
exercising in cold weather is the absolute worst thing one can do with
my sort of heart problems, which aren't an issue most of the time. Say
what one will about SUVs, but having a vehicle that doesn't need to have
a driveway shoveled is a necessity for me.
Old December 25th 04, 10:30 PM
polonca12000

No snow here, but since we get it almost every year, this isn't something to
be excited about
Lots of purrs and best wishes for Jim's sore throat and lots of gentle
scritches to Cinder for being such a great nurse,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old December 25th 04, 10:36 PM
Annie Wxill

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
No snow yet in the Washington DC area. I have mixed feelings about it
these days -- I do prefer cold weather, but I also have learned that
exercising in cold weather is the absolute worst thing one can do with
my sort of heart problems, which aren't an issue most of the time. Say
what one will about SUVs, but having a vehicle that doesn't need to have
a driveway shoveled is a necessity for me.

When we lived in cooler climates, I had a series of Subaru station wagons,
which had 4 wheel drive at a fraction of the purchase and fuel cost of a
SUV.

We also had a Suburban, which we first got when my husband was doing
helicopter logging and construction and had to haul a travel trailer around
on all kinds of remote roads. Later, we lived in an area where our
daughters had horses, and we used the Suburban to haul the horse trailer.
Then we used it to haul a boat. We kept that vehicle for about 15 years.

I'm glad to hear that your heart problems seem to be under control for now
and that you are taking care.

BTW, it's late afternoon, and the snow is off the streets and driveway. My
snowman is still out there, but the head and upper torso has rolled off the
body and is on the ground next to it. I guess I should go out and put the
poor thing back together.

Annie

Old December 26th 04, 06:42 PM
Ann

My brother in law lives in Texas and has 3 inches of snow on the ground.
They had a snow ball fight on Christmas day. Here in Connecticut we had a
brown Christmas(no snow) but, we will get some tonight.
Ann

Old December 27th 04, 09:26 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-25, Annie Wxill penned:

When we lived in cooler climates, I had a series of Subaru station wagons,
which had 4 wheel drive at a fraction of the purchase and fuel cost of a
SUV.

All wheel drive, actually; at least, that's what they all have now.

I got a WRX wagon (the turbo version of the Impreza) in March and have been
extremely pleased. It has no trouble with altitude and hills, and it is happy
to drive to some of the gnarlier ski and mountain bike parking lots. Granted,
it guzzles premium gas (especially with the rack installed), and I probably
would have been just as happy with the Impreza ...

Subarus rule.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Dashing through the snow in a six-ton, six-wheel plow Magic Mood JeepĀ© Cat anecdotes 0 December 24th 04 03:23 PM
I guess she's NOT a snow kitten! Dan M Cat anecdotes 6 December 2nd 04 06:43 PM
Texas Snow! MaryL Cat anecdotes 9 February 15th 04 03:48 PM
Snow!!! Karen Cat anecdotes 7 December 11th 03 04:30 AM
Snow! Marina Cat anecdotes 12 October 28th 03 09:56 PM