Ping Phil: Cats and fasting

Old May 21st 06, 08:31 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Ping Phil: Cats and fasting

Phil P. wrote:

Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm buried in kittens and I've been busy
breaking laws prohibiting feeding ferals.

How do you distinguish a feral from an outdoor cat?

Someone I know has a cat that hangs around her property. She feeds it
regularly, and it spends most of the day hanging out in her yeard. (It
cant come indoors because her kids are severely allergic.) While it
started out feral (or probably lost or offloaded) it has adopted her
and vice versa.

So legally what makes one cat a feral and another an outdoor pet?

Old May 23rd 06, 12:46 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Phil P. wrote:
To they have a desginated group doing TNR or "trapping to pound", or
*anything*?

The city counsel of bureaucratic buffoons voted against TNR based on bogus
myths and misinformation and completely ignored all the data that proves TNR
works including vet journal studies and testimonies from ACOs of other
towns. The original hearing notice was a tiny two-line ad buried somewhere
in the local newspaper. I think their decision was strongly influenced by a
couple of slimy, local vets that were afraid they would have to perform
low-cost neuters if TNR was adopted.

Yeah, God forbid they should help the homeless pet/feral overpop
problem...I just totally do not get this mentality. One thing I do
admire about the main guy I worked for is he did low and no-cost S/N as
a routine service. He probably generated more (side) business for
himself that way, and retained more clients than any other vet in the
area.

The city attorney is as inept as the slimy vets, he drew up the ordinance
with more holes in it than a hurricane fence- and one, especially huge
gaping hole that I'll drive through with a truck every day- twice! I wish I
could tell you more but I can't right now.

Well, if I ever need help jumping through loopholes, I may just email
you! So far our city has been cooperative knock on wood.

-L.