Meowmie let me visit the OUT!!

Old February 22nd 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

Default Meowmie let me visit the OUT!!

Mischief is notorious for sneaking out the front door when no one's
looking. I was coming in from doing the laundry downstairs and I
turned around just in time to see her tail slip out the door.

Normally I chase after her and pick her up. But today was a nice day
and there was no one around.

So for five minutes Mischief had a supervised visit to the OUT!

She flopped and rolled all over the concrete. Meowing all the time
and rubbing me. She flopped over and showed her belly and started
drooling on the concrete. She just LOVED it.

She went over to a planter and jumped in and rubbed the tree. She
rubbed against the stucco wall. She looked all over and I could tell
she was so happy.

After several more flops and rolls and taking in the concrete smell, I
decided it was enough. I picked her up and we came back inside, with
Mischief squeaking in protest the whole way.

Now she's curled up at the top of her tree with a satisfied kitty grin
on her face.

Wish I had an enclosure so she could visit the out. There's no room
for a kitty walk, and the rule is I have to keep her inside.

So in the meantime, it's just occasional supervised visits when no
one is looking.

But she still enjoyed her five minutes.

Kristi
Old February 22nd 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mischief wrote:

[...]

Maybe you could get her a harness and leash, and take her out for a longer
period of time? Would the building management object to that?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old February 23rd 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Feb 22, 3:54*pm, wrote:
Mischief wrote:

[...]

Once I had her out for a supervised visit with no one around and
unfortunately the manager walked by.

She gave me a quizzical/warning look and said, "Ooo...the cat...." She
has a very thick spanish accent.

I quickly said Mischief had gotten out and I was trying to catch her.
I apologized and brought her back inside.

That was a while ago, sooo not sure how she would react to seeing me
having her on a leash and harness.

I did once have her on a harness and leash out late at night, (less
people). It was a comedy routine because Mischief immediately became
'paralyzed' with the harness on.

she would whine and whine and complain and then suddenly stop, look
around to see if I was looking, and then INCH her way forward on her
belly about two inches. Then the whining would continue.

But SLOWLY she would inch along further away from the door.
Eventually she would have reached the end of her leash and could inch
forward no more. Then she'd whine some more...

Never would she, her Majesty, would WALK with that disgusting harness
on.

I've since lost that harness unfortunately. Maybe its time to get a
new one and just do it late at night.

Oh well,

kristi
Old February 23rd 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mischief wrote:

Once I had her out for a supervised visit with no one around and
unfortunately the manager walked by.

She gave me a quizzical/warning look and said, "Ooo...the cat...." She
has a very thick spanish accent.

I quickly said Mischief had gotten out and I was trying to catch her.
I apologized and brought her back inside.

That was a while ago, sooo not sure how she would react to seeing me
having her on a leash and harness.

It seems like they should have less reason to mind if you had her on a
leash than if she was just out there running loose. Do you know why they
have a policy of no outdoor cats? What are they worried about? If it's
something like they're afraid cats will disturb the flowers or landscaping,
pooping or peeing in the garden, or bothering the neighbors, then you
having her on a leash should put them much more at ease, because you'd
have control of the situation. You're not only supervising, you can decide
where she does and doesn't go.

Of course, this is logical, and you can't guarantee that everyone is
going to see things logically.

I've since lost that harness unfortunately. Maybe its time to get a
new one and just do it late at night.

Maybe you could ask them directly if it's OK for you to bring her outside
on a leash. If they say yes, then Mischief can enjoy being out in the sun.
If they say no, you can still do it late at night.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old February 23rd 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Feb 22, 4:55*pm, wrote:
Mischief wrote:

[...]

The rule in the apartment complex is no cats, but 6 years ago I got
special permission from the owner to keep Mischief. at the time I was
going to move out and the owner didn't want to lose a good tenant.
Over the years I've kept Imp and Mayhem hidden, although after all
this time, I think the owner knows I have 3 cats, but he's willing to
put up with it since if I move out he's gonna have to fix the whole
apartment anyway.

It's the manager that objects, and at the time Mischief first came
around it was due to she didn't want Mischief rooting up all the plant
life in the courtyard. Also I know I have neighbors with birds and
they put their cages out in the courtyard.

I think Mischief just loves the smells outdoors and loves rolling on
the cool concrete. Once she snuck out and I didn't realize it for 45
minutes. When I ran out to look for her, she was lounging on the
concrete steps and looked at me innocently...."What?..."

I would think a harness and leash might be ok, but i don't want to
really push it.

Ah well....

Kristi
Old February 23rd 09, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:03:03 -0800 (PST), Mischief
wrote:

The rule in the apartment complex is no cats, but 6 years ago I got
special permission from the owner to keep Mischief. at the time I was
going to move out and the owner didn't want to lose a good tenant.
Over the years I've kept Imp and Mayhem hidden, although after all
this time, I think the owner knows I have 3 cats, but he's willing to
put up with it since if I move out he's gonna have to fix the whole
apartment anyway.

snip
I mentioned in an earlier reply that I just signed a new lease. The
old lease gave me special permission to have two cats (Little Bit and
Sammy, since they were the ones I had when the issue first came up).
The one I signed the other day just says I have permission to keep the
cats- with no number specified. That's good, because the last manager
wanted to make an issue of my five girls, and I ended up bypassing the
manager and telling the owner I'd move before I gave up any of them.
Then the manager came back and wanted to know why I had food bowls on
the patio if my cats were inside only. I just ignored that question,
and told her the owner had already said I could keep the cats. I don't
know where that argument would have ended, as the manager in question
only lasted a couple months.
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old February 23rd 09, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 15:16:24 -0800 (PST), Mischief
wrote:

[...]

glad to hear Mischief got out and enjoyed her time in the OUT.

I've lived here long enough to have outlasted two owners (on the third
now) as well as several managers. In the past I've been asked not to
let the other tenants see the cats, since it's officially a 'no pet'
complex and I have special permission to have the gang. In fact, at
one point I was asked to stop feeding the birds and squirrels.

As a side note, the latest new manager asked me this week to stop by
and sign a new lease. she gave me the standard lease agreement, and I
had to point out the I had special permission for pets, and had made a
pet deposit. She asked if I wanted that included in the agreement -
LOL.
Old February 23rd 09, 11:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
LadyJane

On Feb 22, 6:16*pm, Mischief wrote:

*So in the meantime, it's just occasional supervised visits when no
one is looking.

But she still enjoyed her five minutes.

Kristi

That's cute. The Princess Rita is absolutely terrified of the OUT.
One time she snuck
out when I was downstairs talking to a neighbor, and she made her way
to the floor
above, same door as mine, and I found her there howling miserably. She
was actually
shaking, poor baby. Now she only comes to the door when someone comes
in,
but won't even try to get out.

And she wasn't even OUT, she was still in the building. She'd have to
get through yet
another door to get to the great outdoors.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old February 23rd 09, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Mischief" wrote in message
I did once have her on a harness and leash out late at night, (less
people). It was a comedy routine because Mischief immediately became
'paralyzed' with the harness on.

LOL I tried to harness-train Persia when she first came to me. I put it on
her and let her get used to it inside for a while. (She wears a collar so
it wasn't much of a stretch.) Then I hooked on the leash and let her drag
it around to get acclaimated. She tried to kill the leash! The moment I
took her outside she also became 'paralyzed'. She didn't even try to creep,
just hunkered down and refused to budge. I gave up on the idea rather
quickly.

It was after that comic situation I bought her the kitty-walk enclosure.
It's too bad you don't have a place for one. And that your apartment
manager walks around giving you the evil eye.

Jill