Cats hunt birds, but...

Old January 8th 04, 04:03 AM
Hans Schrøder

Default Cats hunt birds, but...

Here is a sad story from Northern England, especially for birdwatchers...

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=4087484

--
Hans Schrøder

Old January 8th 04, 11:39 AM
Stacey

I'm sorry, but I laughed! Sad for the bird, but that cat must be thinking
"I am a GOD!".

Stacey

Old January 8th 04, 12:38 PM
Victor Martinez

Hans Schrøder wrote:
Here is a sad story from Northern England, especially for birdwatchers...

That's actually another good reason to keep your cat indoors... We
have lots of local and migrant birds throughout the year here in Austin.
Right now we're hosting the migrating goldfinches, for whom we have
bought special seed and feeder (last year we had hundreds of these
little guys eating our seed). At any given time we have at least 3 bird
feeders full of seed out in the garden, and when it's season, at least 3
hummingbird feeders too! Are we suckers for animals or what?

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 14th 04, 02:42 PM
Mary Pelis

Victor Martinez wrote:

Hans Schrøder wrote:
Here is a sad story from Northern England, especially for birdwatchers...

That's actually another good reason to keep your cat indoors... We
have lots of local and migrant birds throughout the year here in Austin.
Right now we're hosting the migrating goldfinches, for whom we have
bought special seed and feeder (last year we had hundreds of these
little guys eating our seed). At any given time we have at least 3 bird
feeders full of seed out in the garden, and when it's season, at least 3
hummingbird feeders too! Are we suckers for animals or what?

Yay! Another one!

We are currently experiencing temperatures which, with the wind chill factored
in, are bottoming out at minus 25 Farenheit! And we're due for wind chills
possibly approaching minus 40 F by Friday morning! The reason I mention this is
because I spend several minutes every day (before I go home from work) calling
out to my squirrel buddies to come and get their "dinner". It's so cold out
that they don't want to leave the comfort of their tree. But come they do, and
are rewarded with many peanuts (in shells) and a pile of sunflower seeds, which
I hope will help sustain them during this brutally cold time. At home, I have
two feeders, two suet cages, a heated birdbath and a flower box that doubles as
a seed catcher for our one resident squirrel (who is not allowed access the
feeders).

I am **such** a sucker!

Mary

Old January 14th 04, 03:20 PM
JBHajos

I hope will help sustain them during this brutally cold time. At home, I have
two feeders, two suet cages, a heated birdbath and a flower box that doubles as
a seed catcher for our one resident squirrel (who is not allowed access the
feeders).

I am **such** a sucker!

Good for you two!! Here's another one. While, thankfully, we
don't have the brutally cold weather Mary experiences, we do get temps
in the teens. In the mornings, I crunch out over the frost and icy
ground to feed the backyard birds, then out to feed the frontyard
birds. The hummers are long gone, of course, but they get fed when
here. The chipmunks have "tunnels" where I leave food for them; they
fill their pouches and drag it down. Then I leave peanuts and pecans
in an old tree hole for the backyard squirrels and have a squirrel
feeder full for the frontyard squirrels. So I end up with frozen nose
and fingers but *they're* happy!!!

Jeanne

Old January 14th 04, 10:06 PM
polonca12000

So very nice of you to take care of the poor squirrels even when it is
freezing cold. Thank you so much.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old January 15th 04, 05:11 AM
Sherry

Then I leave peanuts and pecans
in an old tree hole for the backyard squirrels

That's exactly what I do!! We have six large windows in the den and it is so
cool to watch them. I have grown very fond of "my" two squirrels. Pecans are
their very favorite, then the peanuts, then the fruit last.
I also have a woodpecker, four bluejays, about a hundred finches and one
beautiful (but shy) cardinal. They're getting to be like old friends.

Dozens Of Dead Cats Removed From Woman's Garage Magic Mood Jeep© Cat anecdotes 18 December 26th 03 12:11 AM
Cats and Birds Brad Snow Cat anecdotes 7 November 23rd 03 09:41 PM
sunny day=happy cats John Biltz Cat anecdotes 1 November 15th 03 05:14 AM
Cats and birds? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 16 October 15th 03 04:49 AM