Revenge for that guy wanting to hunt cats? "Cat Shoots Owner"

Old March 10th 05, 04:52 PM
Gabey8

Default Revenge for that guy wanting to hunt cats? "Cat Shoots Owner"

See what that guy in Wisconsin started, with his "hunting cats" referendum?
;o) The Mothership appears to have gotten the word out. Now there are
kitties declaring, "Hunt THIS!"

On a more serious note, I hope the guy's not badly hurt. Let this be a
lesson to anyone who has both weapons and cats to keep them separated.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...t_shoots_owner

Cat Shoots Owner

BATES TOWNSHIP, Mich. - A man cooking in his kitchen was shot after one of
his cats knocked his 9mm handgun onto the floor, discharging the weapon,
Michigan State Police said.

Joseph Stanton, 29, of Bates Township in Iron County, was shot in his
lower torso around 6 p.m. Tuesday, the state police post in Iron River
reported. He was transported to Iron County Community Hospital.

Michelle Sand, a spokeswoman at the Iron River hospital, said Stanton was
treated there before being transferred to Marquette General Hospital for
further treatment. But Marcie Miller, a representative of the Marquette
facility, said there was no record of the hospital receiving a patient by
that name.

A telephone message seeking comment was left Wednesday at Stanton's home.

State police said he was cooking at his stove when the cat knocked the
loaded gun off the kitchen counter behind him.

Donna and the kitties who've never even seen a watergun, never mind a real
weapon, Captain and Stanley

Old March 10th 05, 04:58 PM
jmcquown

Gabey8 wrote:
See what that guy in Wisconsin started, with his "hunting cats"
referendum? ;o) The Mothership appears to have gotten the word out.
Now there are
kitties declaring, "Hunt THIS!"

On a more serious note, I hope the guy's not badly hurt. Let this be a
lesson to anyone who has both weapons and cats to keep them separated.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...t_shoots_owner

Cat Shoots Owner

BATES TOWNSHIP, Mich. - A man cooking in his kitchen was shot after
one of his cats knocked his 9mm handgun onto the floor, discharging
the weapon, Michigan State Police said.

Weird. Why on earth would anyone have a loaded gun on the kitchen counter?
Is he afraid someone will break in and steal his food?

Jill

Old March 10th 05, 05:08 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-10, jmcquown penned:

Weird. Why on earth would anyone have a loaded gun on the kitchen counter?
Is he afraid someone will break in and steal his food?

That's what I was thinking. I've never owned a gun, but if I did it wouldn't
be sitting out where anykitty or human (or me!) could knock it down, and it
probably wouldn't be loaded.

Hope the guy heals up and that he learns not to keep his gun out where
accidents can happen.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 10th 05, 05:27 PM
jmcquown

On 2005-03-10, jmcquown penned:

Weird. Why on earth would anyone have a loaded gun on the kitchen
counter? Is he afraid someone will break in and steal his food?

That's what I was thinking. I've never owned a gun, but if I did it
wouldn't be sitting out where anykitty or human (or me!) could knock
it down, and it probably wouldn't be loaded.

Hope the guy heals up and that he learns not to keep his gun out where
accidents can happen.

I don't own a gun, either. But I understand there's this thing called the
'safety' on them This is just rather odd. I'm wondering if this was
just a wild story he made up to explain a gunshot wound.

Jill

Old March 10th 05, 05:40 PM
Margaret Fine

Gabey8 wrote:
[...]

The funny thing is that part of Michigan used to be Wisconsin. I guess
the cats didn't hear about the change back in 1836 after the "Toledo
War" between Ohio and Michigan and thought the guy was fair game. :-)

--
Margaret Fine

Old March 10th 05, 07:31 PM
:-\) Liz

This story reminds me of one I heard at work a couple of years ago...a
fellow worker of ours came in limping and not sitting nor bending
much....seems while opening the closet door ...somehow his shotgun fell out
....went off just as he turned his back to the closet and he got buckshot all
across his rear and back and such......SUUUUUUURRRRREEEE...later it came out
that his wife had come home unexpectily and found him...."engaged" with
another woman...thus the wound! :-) Liz (who now slinks back to her dark
corner to lurk once more...life has grabbed at me too much recently so I've
been quiet alot)
lkaboutpets.com...

Old March 10th 05, 11:01 PM
dorothy

I don't own a gun, either. But I understand there's this thing
called the
'safety' on them This is just rather odd. I'm wondering if this

was
just a wild story he made up to explain a gunshot wound.

Jill

LOL, I tend to agree with you on the mechanism of injury ;-) However,
there are guns out there without a safety (or much of one). I have a
Glock and the safety on it is a lever on the trigger, so when you pull
the trigger you are turning the safety off :-\ Obviously I have to be
sure to keep it under lock and key - although my daughter has been
introduced to it and understands how it works and most important how
dangerous it is, I never take any chances, and I certainly don't have
it keeping me company in the kitchen while I'm cooking dinner.....

Kerrie

Old March 10th 05, 11:23 PM
CatNipped

"dorothy" wrote in message
oups.com...

LOL, I tend to agree with you on the mechanism of injury ;-) However,
there are guns out there without a safety (or much of one). I have a
Glock and the safety on it is a lever on the trigger, so when you pull
the trigger you are turning the safety off :-\ Obviously I have to be
sure to keep it under lock and key - although my daughter has been
introduced to it and understands how it works and most important how
dangerous it is, I never take any chances, and I certainly don't have
it keeping me company in the kitchen while I'm cooking dinner.....

Kerrie

I don't own a gun (mainly because of my bouts of depression and my Irish
ancestry - DH doesn't trust my temper ;), but I made a point of teaching my
kids all about them when they were very young. Knowledge is power!!! You
may not have guns, or you may keep yours safely locked away, but your idiot
neighbor whose kids your kids play with might have one sitting out. It's
better that they know about them and what they can do. My grandkids can
recite gun safety rules at the drop of a hat - even the youngest who is 5!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 10th 05, 11:56 PM
O J

Jill wrote:

I don't own a gun, either. But I understand there's this thing called the
'safety' on them This is just rather odd. I'm wondering if this was
just a wild story he made up to explain a gunshot wound.

I think you may have it. As a long time gun nut, this story raises
the needle on my BS meter. It sounds like a "The dog ate my
homework." tale to me. Pistols are 'drop tested' by manufacturers
before they are sold to the public. If it was a .45, I'd be more
inclined to believe it, since they are much more likely to be
customized with a light trigger pull, and the action is usually kept
in a different state of readiness.

I suspect that something stupid occurred and the person pointed the
finger at his cat. Not that I blame him, if it happened to me, I'd
blame the cat too.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old March 11th 05, 12:27 AM
L. (usenetlyn)

On 2005-03-10, jmcquown penned:

Weird. Why on earth would anyone have a loaded gun on the kitchen
counter? Is he afraid someone will break in and steal his food?

That's what I was thinking. I've never owned a gun, but if I did

it
wouldn't be sitting out where anykitty or human (or me!) could

knock
it down, and it probably wouldn't be loaded.

Hope the guy heals up and that he learns not to keep his gun out

where
accidents can happen.

I don't own a gun, either. But I understand there's this thing

called the
'safety' on them This is just rather odd. I'm wondering if this

was
just a wild story he made up to explain a gunshot wound.

Jill

IMO, it's just natural selection. I have little tolerance for firearms
of any kind...

-L.