Why I Will Let My Cats Hunt--for now

Old February 26th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Why I Will Let My Cats Hunt--for now

Yesterday both cats were opening the bottom kitchen cabinets and actually
diving in. The sure sign you have a mouse, at least in my experience. We
usually shut them out of the kitchen at night because our Boo, since she has
slimmed down, likes to get up on the kitchen table and bat things--like one
of my grandmother's beautiful bone china cups a while back--off of the
table. Last night I let the Great Hunters roam free, after making sure there
was nothing that could hurt them in the lower cabinets.

When I got out of bed, there was Boo, yelling at me for food as usual,
standing next to the mouse she and Gracie had dispatched, staring at me like
"What am I supposed to EAT?" There wasn't a mark on the mouse, so now I know
that even when she thinks she is starving, she will not actually EAT a mouse
that might have been out in the yard into things that might hurt her.

Yes, I did feel sorry for the little mouse, they really are cute. But at the
same time, I'm really glad I don't have to fuss with bloody traps or poison.

Old February 26th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

sounds like you have a good relationship with your cats. why are cats
so curious and always plundering into things

Old February 26th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message
In rec.pets.cats.anecdotes cybercat wrote:
snip
"What am I supposed to EAT?" There wasn't a mark on the mouse, so now I
know
that even when she thinks she is starving, she will not actually EAT a
mouse
that might have been out in the yard into things that might hurt her.

One of the very few mice my cats have actually caught (that I know of) did
get partly eaten. It didn't stop whichever cat it was from insisting on
*proper* food - as usual, even though there was food in the bowl.

Yes, I did feel sorry for the little mouse, they really are cute. But at
the
same time, I'm really glad I don't have to fuss with bloody traps or
poison.

I tend to think cats are more merciful and effective than traps and
poison. Although I live in a house and area with lots and lots of mice,
the mere presence of the cats seems to scare off the brighter mice.
Certainly, I've seen hardly a mouse - and never the tell-tale droppings -
although the previous tenants said they were infested with mice and
couldn't keep them under control with the trays of poison they used. And
should a not-so-bright mouse venture into the house, they don't seem to
last long.

We have an off-and-on mouse problem at my job, depending in its severity
on the season. We've used the snap traps which are usually at least quick;
last time the maintenance people came around, they used the sticky type
which I don't like. But no kind of trap can give off the 'a cat lives
here' aura that warns the mice away.

I don't think an office cat is a solution, alas.

--
Cheryl

The cat aura!! DH has noticed that now we have 6 cats, nothing moving dares
show it's head within the walls of our house. Normally in warm Australian
climates we are plagues with multiple cockroaches and mice. Not a thing! THe
only roaches I see are tiny baby ones that obviously have been murdered
before they got the chance to eat or defecate on anything!! I hate mice and
roaches, and flies (my meezers are the fly experts) so the cats are well
worth their keep IMO!!

Old February 27th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message

I tend to think cats are more merciful and effective than traps and
poison.

You have never seen a cat with a mouse have you. Merciful and effective
aren't two words that come to mind.

Think mouse passed out cold from fear and or pain, and cat sitting to one
side waiting for it to come to so they can "play" some more.

Jo

Old February 27th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message

I tend to think cats are more merciful and effective than traps and
poison.

You have never seen a cat with a mouse have you. Merciful and effective
aren't two words that come to mind.

No, they aren't. They basically torture the mouse to death.

Think mouse passed out cold from fear and or pain, and cat sitting to one
side waiting for it to come to so they can "play" some more.

Not to mention Queen Hypocrite cybercat raked both Pat and REM222 over
the coals for allowing their cats to catch and kill rodents.

If you have mice in your house, it is usually two pregnant or nursing
females (they hunt in pairs), and they are attracted to improperly
stored food. If you can't use a live trap to catch and relocate them,
a steel snap-trap is the most humane method for killing them.

-L.