Class trip to the local shelter (TW!!)

Old October 19th 04, 03:41 AM
Mischief

Default Class trip to the local shelter (TW!!)

As a new part of my school's RVT program, my professor has worked out
that us senior students will volunteer a certain amount of hours at
the local shelter. Today was our orientation.

It started at ten in the morning and we spent almost FOUR HOURS going
over the orientation packet. (I hate it when a teacher hands out a
packet and then reads over it word for word. We can read you know. I
can understand it to a certain point, but after the fifth page it's
quite tedious)

Then it came time for the tour. We walked past the dog runs. Some of
them had three or four dogs crammed into a single run. Some of them
were strays that were being held to see if someone claims them, others
were up for adoption, and others were the ones that would soon be
euthanized. It was quite bittersweet, walking through and listening
to all the barking dogs. Some of them were quite cute. But everyone
knew that most of those dogs would never find a loving family.

Then we moved into the main receiving area where we talked about
procedures and more rules. Then the manager pointed out the
Euthanasia Room, which volunteers are not allowed to enter. We
briefly talked about it. The animals are put down either for illness,
but most of the time it's because no one has claimed them and they
shelter needs the space.

While we were talking about it, a few Animal Control people came by
with nets on poles. When they came back, each net held a feral cat,
and they were carried into the Euthanasia room. We saw four cats get
carried into that room in a span of ten minutes. A bunch of my fellow
students began crying. It was so horrible for me to see and imagine,
and I was trying really hard not to cry.

Then we moved into the cattery, where there were a bunch of cats up
for adoption, There were a bunch of ADORABLE kittens, and there were a
few cats that got up and started rubbing against the bars. Most of
them had cage cards. The ones that didn't have cards were either
being looked at, or getting euthanized. So it was really hard for me
to see an animal without a cage card, because it meant there was a
good chance that the animal was going to be put down that afternoon.
Argh....

Then I saw this one female. She's 6 months, old, and kind of a tortie
with gray, white and orange. Awwwww....... She mewed at me, and
then let out a sneeze. I couldn't help but laugh. But then she
sneezed again. And again. And again. Uh-oh, possible respiratory
infection. I pointed it out to the manager and she said they were
aware of it and the cat was going to be taken care of. I wish I knew
exactly what she meant by that.

I took down the cat's number. Why? Because I'm a sucker. I don't
know if I'm going to follow up and try to get this cat, because I
really can't afford another cat. My landlord doesn't allow pets in
the building, but has made an exception for me for ONE cat. I have
two. A third cat would really be pushing it. Also, I would have to
get this respiratory infection cleared up first. I don't have the
money and the apartment would get kinda crowded with three cats.

I don't know what to do. I'm such a sucker.

We moved into another cat area, and saw more cats. Some of them held
mothers with their litters of kittens. We saw two cats removed from
their cages, and we knew where they were going. Again, I'm trying not
to cry, but I started feeling nauseous. We went to the infirmary and
there was this three month old white kitten with a horrible wound on
its neck. I asked about it, and apparently the kitten was suffering
from necrotic tissue on its neck; caused by either a too tight collar
or a string around its neck. And its cage card was missing, and the
manager told me that there was a chance the kitten was going to be put
down.

That did it. I had to excuse myself and go outside for some air. I
thought I was going to be sick, but i wasn't.

I know my fellow students felt the same way. And we haven't talked,
but a lot of us do NOT want to work at that shelter. I know I don't
think I'll be able to. I'll get too attached and I know I'll be a
wreck after a while.

argh..........this would have been the shelter Mischief would have
gone to had I decided to not keep her. I didn't take her there
because I couldn't bear the thought of her in one of those places, and
after seeing all those animals I can't see myself working there.

We all went home very depressed. It's very sad and unfortunately has
to be done because there are too many animals that don't get fixed and
this is what happens.

I came straight home, picked up Mischief and held her tight. I told
her that I loved her very much and I was so happy that I decided to
not take her to such a horrible place.

Mischief meowed, saying "Uh.....okay hoomin you can put me down now."

Sigh.......................................what a day...............

Kristi
Old October 19th 04, 04:30 AM
Christine Burel

{{{Kristi}}} You cannot help all of them but your presence there and those
of your colleagues may make some small but significant difference, even if
it means that some of these animals got attention and care that they would
not otherwise have had. You have to think that every bit is worth
something. This shelter situation sounds sad but when we go to the local
humane association I know I can't save them all but I can at least try and
give them what I can while I'm there. I wish I could do more, too, Kristi.
Christine (teary)

om...

Old October 19th 04, 09:14 AM
Mary

Uh-oh, possible respiratory
infection. I pointed it out to the manager and she said they were
aware of it and the cat was going to be taken care of. I wish I knew
exactly what she meant by that.

If a cat sneezes, they euth it to prevent the spread of URI. I volunteer at a
shelter in LA. If a cat sneezes, we sneeze so the manager doesn't hear the cat.
We never let anyone know if a cat is sneezing. Killing all cats that sneeze
doesn't really help stop the spread of URI. They will all get URI anyway.

I know my fellow students felt the same way. And we haven't talked,
but a lot of us do NOT want to work at that shelter. I know I don't
think I'll be able to. I'll get too attached and I know I'll be a
wreck after a while.

I was a wreck my first day at the LA City shelter. I felt like crying. I too
was worried that I'd want to adopt them all. I didn't think I could take
volunteering there but...that shelter obviously needed me the most. If it makes
you cry, they really need your help. After a few days I could handle it better.
I also learned how to help people adopt the right pet so they don't dump it
back at the shelter. I told them about training and what they will need. I
think I've helped a lot of pets and people.

Old October 20th 04, 12:22 AM
CatNipped

"Mischief" wrote in message
om...
[...]

{{{{{{{{{{Kristi}}}}}}}}}} That's so sad - I too wonder how those wonderful
people who work and volunteer in shelters can stand it, I'm just glad that
they do 'cause where would those poor lost ones be without them?

Hugs,

CatNipped