Mom [OT]

Old March 30th 04, 06:26 AM

Victor Martinez wrote:

It's very common for someone "below" to use the formal but be addressed
in the informal.

Yeah, but I guess, being an American with democratic ideals, I'm
not comfortable with the idea of anyone being "below" me. (Or above me
either.) I mean, I guess if it's about age, I can accept that - it's
kind of nice to interact with someone whose culture actually believes in
respect for elders. But I wouldn't like it if she felt she was below me
for any other reason. I mean, what other differences did we have? Race?
Nationality? Those would be horrible reasons for feeling superior or
inferior. We were on the same level, work-wise.

She's from Guadalajara, btw.

You could tell her to talk to you using the informal, say something
like "me puedes hablar de tu" or "no es necesario que me hables de usted".

Thanks, I wasn't sure how to say that. I'm going to save this post!

Hope this helps.

Thanks, it did!

Joyce
Old March 30th 04, 06:30 AM

badwilson wrote:

Air trapped in a cavity or loose filling may expand when increased
altitude causes it to expand. It could be very painful.

Yer really grasping at straws there, dude. I mean, what about all the other
pilots from say North America and Europe and places like that. I guess all
of their cavity filled mouths must be screaming in pain every time they go
flying!

Yeah, I mean, great. Next time I fly (which will be this Sunday), I'm
going to worry that the pilot might get a sudden expansion of air inside
one of his fillings and go insane with the pain and crash the plane.

Joyce
Old March 30th 04, 06:32 AM
Helen Wheels

badwilson wrote:
"CK" wrote in message

Marina wrote:

I suppose our culture is just much more relaxed here in Scandinavia.
Everyone uses first names, and hardly ever do you hear a Mr or Mrs, not

mention a Professor or a Sir/Madam (I don't even think we have that kind

of

words in Swedish or Finnish). I was on first-name basis with my teachers

at

university from day one. At work everyone, from the head of the

department

to every part-time teacher, are on first-name basis with each other. The
only time you use last names is to avoid confusion if there are several
people with the same first name. I've never worked in the corporate

world,

but as I understand it, the same goes there.

I work "in the corporate world" and it's first names galore here too
fairly high "up the ladder", except I don't think I'd address any of the
big directors by their first names, as I don't meet them on a daily
basis and they wouldn't know who I am. Can't expect them to know names
and faces of thousands of employees, now can you? I'd address the
biggies with Director last name, would "read the situation" from there
on, whether to use the "formal you" (teititellä, ni-form, siezen,
vouvoyer(sp?)), or the "familiar you" (sinutella, du-form, duzen,

tutoyer).

Oh, you guys have that siezen and duzen in Finnish too? I just don't like
that whole concept, one of the reasons I'm so glad I'm mainly an English
speaker now. It always seemed so fake to me how in Germany they call you
Sie until you "invite them into your inner circle" by asking them to call
you You. English seems much more informal and casual that way, everyone is
equal.

Art thou certain?
Try Vietnamese if you want real confusion. I think I learnt at
least seven different forms of "you" depending on whether the
person was related to you, related to your parents, older or
younger (and by how much), male or female, ... and that was only
in beginners' class. Made my head spin.
Helen Wheels

Old March 30th 04, 06:34 AM

David Yehudah wrote:

In addition to several that impugn your mother's morals, personal
hygiene, and probable provenance. :-)

Well, that brings this sub-discussion back to the topic of this thread,
doesn't it?

Joyce
Old March 30th 04, 07:31 AM
Hopitus2

My face is full of not only regular amalgam fillings, but deep root
canal/crown work, and two huge fixed bridges w/inlays (large joined
fillings) underneath. Should I be concerned when I live in MileHigh? Expand?
Painful, indeed.....?

wrote in message
:

Old March 30th 04, 07:32 AM
Hopitus2

Close enough.

"David Yehudah" wrote in message
: Allahu akbar?
:
: Hopitus2 wrote:
:
: Sorry to say I've forotten
: everything he ever taught me except pediatric radiology and Ela Akbu -
or
: however it's spelled (God is great).
:
:
:
: "Kreisleriana" wrote in message
: ...
: : On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:54:16 -0800, David Yehudah
: : yodeled:
: :
: : I know a few curse words in Arabic. That's one of the things that
annoys
: : Arabs in general; Hebrew has no curse words, so the Israelis curse in
: : Arabic. The worst you can do in Hebrew is "atta beheymah (you're an
: : animal)" or "lech l'Azazel (go to the devil). I like the Arabic words
: : because they mean things a lot nastier than the usual English curse
: : words. Same with Spanish. :-)
: :
: :
: :
: : Don't they have curses in Arabic like "Son of fifteen dogs and
: : twenty-five monkeys, and a pig with loose morals"?
: :
: : Theresa
: : alt.tv.frasier FAQ: http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/
: :
: : Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
: : claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply
: disgraceful.
: : (Aldous Huxley)
:
:
:

Old March 30th 04, 07:40 AM
Hopitus2

I like our sub-discussion of arabic and hispanic curses much better than the
original topic, which was what ****ed a certain somebody on another
continent off about what it sees on tv programming about how we address our
maternal parents and discipline our tv offspring.
Like, instead of apologizing or defending or justifying my native country's
maternal addresses and fictional tv offspring's behavior.....I'd like to
know how to say, "Who the h***
gives a r*** a** anyway?" in arabic. I already know how to say that in
Spanish, har.

wrote in message
:

Old March 30th 04, 07:50 AM
Yoj

"Yowie" wrote in message
u...
"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message

One phrase that really irkitates me is "could care less", when it

seems so
obvious to me that it should be "couldn't care less". But its just one

of
those weird dialect things, and I just have to deal with - its not

like
anyone is going out of their way to annoy me, and nor are they saying
anything incorrectly - well, not according to the way they were taught

at
least. We could argue till we're blue in the face about it, and it

won't
stop either of us using hte phrase that we are used to.

That one bugs me too, for the same reason.

Still, I probably mangle all sorts of English (of whatever dialect) by
speaking modern Australian. I really have no clue about the difference
between "who" and "whom" for example, and using "whom" sounds very

affected
to me.

And then ther'es the whole "news" pronunciations - I say it like it

rhymes
with Ewes -nyewz-, whilst many folks here would say "nooz". And then

there
are words that are not only pronounced differently but mean completley
different things, like "Jelly" and "Jumper" for two. By reading htis

group,
I have become fairly multi-lingual, but sometimes Ihave abrain burk

and
wonder why peole are bewildered baut what I've jsut said.

Yowie

Yes, the fact that we (and the Brits) have totally different meanings
for the same words can be confusing at times. Like you, I've picked up
a lot of them, but every so often I get confused - or confuse someone
else.

Joy

Old March 30th 04, 07:55 AM
Hopitus2

I can speak 3 German words: "Danke Shaen", "Bitte", and "Auf Wiedersein"
(pardon sp.)
Not good. But being from USA, I am aware that the Scandinavian countries and
Germany have been around a helluva lot longer than my country, in which
English is the primary language at present, and the different cultural
nuances of social interaction speech is something I'd certainly not
criticize, myself. Yeah, it *looks* like we're all "equal" over here
speechwise, and I don't know anything about this "sie" stuff you speak of,
but whatever it is, it's been around centuries longer than we have, along
with our *non*-customs here. I've met people from elsewhere who seem
genuinely horrified by the lack of ceremony in USA social interaction; you
find it charming and "non-fake". Don't speak a word of Swedish or Finnish,
but having friends from each place has shown me the warmth and friendliness
of their people. Germans also. But I'd never lump the 3 regions together in
my mind.

"Marina" wrote in message
:
: "badwilson" wrote
:
: Oh, you guys have that siezen and duzen in Finnish too? I just don't
like
: that whole concept, one of the reasons I'm so glad I'm mainly an English
: speaker now. It always seemed so fake to me how in Germany they call
you
: Sie until you "invite them into your inner circle" by asking them to
call
: you You. English seems much more informal and casual that way, everyone
: is
: equal.
:
: We have it but I feel really uncomfortable when anyone uses it to me. I
: suppose it's somewhat equivalent of English Ma'am that way. There's one
vet
: at the vet's office that I use who uses the Sie form when she talks to me.
: It just makes me squirm. The only time I would use it would be to address
: stranger who was obviously very elderly.
:
: --
: Marina, Frank and Nikki
: Email marina (dot) kurten (at) pp (dot) inet (dot) fi
: Pics at http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/frankiennikki
:

Old March 30th 04, 08:03 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

At least he is a *has been* here.

shuddering a the tough that he might be doing a "comeback"

Yowie

Can you imagine a joint show between Peter Andre and Steve Irwin???

(shudder)

Cheers, helen s ;-)

**$om $