OT Cookie Monster

Old April 12th 05, 02:25 AM
Smokie Darling (Annie)

PatM wrote:
LOL It's like many of the parks and schools here in town had their
lovely, sleek metel slides replaced with pudgy plastic ones--for the
safety of the children. Sheesh, they took all the fun out of it! A
few of us did manage to survive those perilous days. We figured out
pretty quickly to be careful in shorts on hot days, and if you were a
little nervous to brace your legs along the sides to slow down a bit.
That fast ride down was a real rush! We were kids...we got bumps and
bruises. So what? PatM

But when we fell off the top of the stupid thing (what? That was just
me? Oh...) our parents didn't try to sue the school or the city or the
parents who owned the house, they usually gave you at the least a firm
talking to. We have become so litigious (let me sue McDonald's because
I'm fat, that's an idea!) that we have lost what little common sense we
used to have.

Remember fist fights? Well, with girls it was alot of slapping, but
still, anyway, parents are being sued because their little boy (or
girl) can whip the little snot who took karate and tried it out on the
tough kid's head.

It's no worse than the parents who have sued video game makers because
their child didn't realize that if he shot someone with dad's illegal
fully automatic gun, they weren't going to get up. Yeah, it's the
video game makers' fault, that's it.

Ooops, soapbox (again). I'm getting pretty good at that.

Smokie Darling (Annie) even if I can't always remember to put a link in
a post.

Old April 12th 05, 02:40 AM
jmcquown

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
PatM wrote:
[...]

I even remember us rubbing sand on the metal slide to make it "faster", like
we were polishing a piece of cookware And slides used to be a lot
taller! How the heck can you have fun trying to slide on a short piece of
plastic? We're turning out a bunch of coddled, spoiled children who aren't
prepared to deal with the real world.

When I was oh, I guess I was 8, I was riding my bike with a friend sitting
behind me. The strap of her sandle got caught in the spokes and her heel
got cut up very badly. Did her parents sue us? No. Did they sue the
sandle company because the strap was too long? No. Did they sue the bike
manufacturer because maybe the bike could have been made more safe? No.
Stuff happens. I learned not to ride someone on the back of my bike. Kids
learn not to eat the mudpie because it's not really "pie". Most kids learn
by doing, not by being told what not to do. Heck, I'm 45 years old and I
know the oven is hot but I still manage to burn myself occasionally! LOL

Jill

Old April 12th 05, 02:49 AM
PatM

My son fell off the top bunk of his bed in the middle of the night when
he was little. Apparently while he was dreaming or something. Big
thud...I go running in...he's lying facedown on the floor wondering
what hit him! (was ok) I sure wasn't thinking "sue the manufactuer"!

Wow, fist fights and slapping...my school was really boring! We did
wind up our swings and get fingers caught and try to be the one to jump
the farthest when we were high or swing upside down (bad idea with
skirts!) with the chains around our ankles!
PatM

Old April 12th 05, 02:53 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 11 Apr 2005 09:40:33p, jmcquown wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Stuff happens. I learned not to ride someone on the back of my
bike. Kids learn not to eat the mudpie because it's not really
"pie". Most kids learn by doing, not by being told what not to
do.

This "sue happy" nation has been coming on for a long time, though.
When Eric was about 6 or 7, he accidentally hurt another kid
because he liked playing with long sticks. Probably trying to fight
like his hero at the time, He Man. The kid's grandparents actually
tried to sue us for little scratches on their grandson, who was the
same age as Eric. I was mortified. Kids play, they get hurt, or
other kids get hurt. It wasn't like it was a permanent disability
or anything. Hell, one of my best friends when growing up was shot
in her butt with a pellet gun by another kid and no one tried to
sue anyone. It was an accident, it was kids playing.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old April 12th 05, 02:59 AM
KellyH

"jmcquown" wrote
When I was oh, I guess I was 8, I was riding my bike with a friend sitting
behind me. The strap of her sandle got caught in the spokes and her heel
got cut up very badly. Did her parents sue us? No. Did they sue the
sandle company because the strap was too long? No. Did they sue the bike
manufacturer because maybe the bike could have been made more safe? No.
Stuff happens. I learned not to ride someone on the back of my bike.
Kids
learn not to eat the mudpie because it's not really "pie". Most kids
learn
by doing, not by being told what not to do. Heck, I'm 45 years old and I
know the oven is hot but I still manage to burn myself occasionally! LOL

OMG, the same thing happened to me, except I was the sandal kid! I have a
scar on my heel from it. I'm going to sue!! I don't even remember the name
of the girl I was riding with. You didn't live in VA, did you? I think I
was about 4-5 yrs old when this happened.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old April 12th 05, 03:21 AM
jmcquown

KellyH wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote
[...]

EEEK! Yes, I did live in Virginia (Annandale) and the girl was a few years
younger than me! But her name was Rona Johnston. She had a sister named
Kelly and another named Maura and I think a couple more, much older. Did
you have a pool table in your basement?!

Jill

Old April 12th 05, 03:23 AM
Takayuki

Kreisleriana wrote:

Did anyone hear the news that the Cookie Monster (on Sesame Street)
will now not be eating so many cookies, be seen eating healthy foods,
and actually tell chidren that "Cookies are a sometimes food"?

I haven't watched Sesame Street in ages, but that doesn't seem
entirely out of character. Does anyone else remember an old Cookie
Monster skit where he was offered fresh vegetables, like celery and
carrots, and really liking them? When I was little, I thought that
made sense, since he's basically a glutton that will eat anything
crunchy.

Old April 12th 05, 03:23 AM
jmcquown

PatM wrote:
My son fell off the top bunk of his bed in the middle of the night
when he was little. Apparently while he was dreaming or something.
Big thud...I go running in...he's lying facedown on the floor
wondering what hit him! (was ok) I sure wasn't thinking "sue the
manufactuer"!

The wooden slats under my bed would occasionally fall out (they didn't fit
properly on the frame) and I'd wake up in the middle of the night to
suddenly find the box spring and mattress (and me) on the floor below the
frame. My parents didn't sue; after a few episodes of this they just bought
longer slats. What ever happened to common sense?

Jill

Old April 12th 05, 03:31 AM
Magic Mood Jeep

Cheryl wrote:
snip Hell, one of my best friends when growing up was shot
in her butt with a pellet gun by another kid and no one tried to
sue anyone. It was an accident, it was kids playing.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

Hehe. My brother fell in our own back yard, while trying to cross a flooded
& fast-moving creek after a long rain, and cut his but, pretty bad, on a
rock. Bled like a stuck pig. He learned not to try & cross that creek
after a rain

But on another note, some guy I knew in HS (*knew*??? heck, I married one of
'em!!!!) used to play 'army' with BB guns. One got hit in the face with a
BB. It ended up going in the corner of his eye, and *around* the eye until
it was *behind* the eye. As far as I know, he still has that BB behind his
eye. I found out it was the one I married that sot the BB at him.

--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too) email me at

Old April 12th 05, 03:47 AM
KellyH

"jmcquown" wrote
EEEK! Yes, I did live in Virginia (Annandale) and the girl was a few
years
younger than me! But her name was Rona Johnston. She had a sister named
Kelly and another named Maura and I think a couple more, much older. Did
you have a pool table in your basement?!

Dang, no lawsuit! I don't have any sisters, and we lived in Newport News,
VA. But still, how weird is that??