Speaking of Being a "Target" OT

Old December 12th 05, 10:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Speaking of Being a "Target" OT

jmcquown wrote:

He laughed and said he
bought the clothes in Africa. She said, "Huh? They have clothes like that?
I didn't think they wore clothes in Africa; I thought they was all nekkid.
Or they wore leaves and stuff." He smiled at her indulgently.

YIKES! WHat a moron. Unfortunately, she's not alone, by a long shot.

Joyce
Old December 12th 05, 11:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

No Special Sun in the Summer nights here either, or polar bears in the
streets, even tho that's been asked about here too.
I used to work in the reception of the Canadian Embassy in Helsinki in
the 80's and got a lot of weird questions both from Canadians and other
nationalities, but it's too long ago for me to remember anything in
particular right now.

Christine in Vantaa, posting from work

Old December 12th 05, 12:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mark Edwards wrote:
Or Dallas, Texas. I used to correspond with a lovely young lady from
Toronto, who asked about the gunfights in town...

When I was in college, in the early 90's, I spent a year as an exchange
student at Tulane University in New Orleans. A few people would be a bit
incredulous when I told them I was from Mexico. They stared at me and
said, "But you dress just like us!". I was like, "what did you expect? a
mariachi outfit?" It seems they thought all mexicans dressed like in the
old movies!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old December 12th 05, 12:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Mark Edwards wrote:
Or Dallas, Texas. I used to correspond with a lovely young lady from
Toronto, who asked about the gunfights in town...

When I was in college, in the early 90's, I spent a year as an exchange
student at Tulane University in New Orleans. A few people would be a bit
incredulous when I told them I was from Mexico. They stared at me and
said, "But you dress just like us!". I was like, "what did you expect? a
mariachi outfit?" It seems they thought all mexicans dressed like in the
old movies!

Wot??? You don't mean you go round singing "La cucaracha" (sp?) throughout
the day and eat only red-hot chilli? Darn, there's another stereotype
exploded ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Old December 12th 05, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Wot??? You don't mean you go round singing "La cucaracha" (sp?) throughout
the day and eat only red-hot chilli? Darn, there's another stereotype
exploded ;-)

I've had to explain to my friends in Ontario that Nova Scotia uses the
exact same Canadian money as Ontario does...

I've had to explain to Americans that we do not have snow 12 months of
the year...

Just because I've slept in a snow-shelter doesn't mean I regularly live
in one

and we don't ALL smoke weed all the time up here.

--Fil

Old December 12th 05, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Enfilade wrote:
and we don't ALL smoke weed all the time up here.

You don't!?!?!?!?! Duuuuuude!!!!!!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old December 12th 05, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:41:31 -0600, Victor Martinez
yodeled:

Enfilade wrote:
and we don't ALL smoke weed all the time up here.

You don't!?!?!?!?! Duuuuuude!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHA! But DUDE! We totally understand! You gotta do something
to keep warm.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old December 12th 05, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"wafflycat" wrote in message

I was once asked by an American if I still had to curtsey to the local
squire. I replied that no, I didn't and then asked if she still had to pull
the covered wagons into a circle every night////

I used to have an awful lot of fun as an Immigration officer at Heathrow
dealing with predominately Americans. Now, please don't get me wrong, I
have a lot of American friends who are well educated, etc, etc, but like
with Britain, there also some slightly less inteligent members of their
society...

The best two I can think of

I once persuaded an American Tourist that she couldn't fly on to
Scotland because she didn't have a Scottish visa and she could only go
and get one in Birmingham as that was where the scottish embassy was,
but they were only open to tourists on the second wednesday afternoon of
the month.

The second was a party of American school kids who appeared wearing
their baseball caps backwards. I told the first one that he'd better
turn his cap around and wear it properly because otherwise he'd be
arrested by the fashion police for having no taste in clothes. He of
course thought I meant the real police and screamed in a very loud voice
at the 50 or so other kids to turn their caps around before they got
arrested.

And numerous other mischief making cons...

Helen M

Old December 12th 05, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wafflycat wrote:
"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
[snips]

No cluons were harmed when "Hans Schrøder"
wrote:
Reminds me of things that tourist information employees have to take
from
tourists visiting here in Norway:

Or Dallas, Texas. I used to correspond with a lovely young lady from
Toronto, who asked about the gunfights in town...

I was once asked by an American if I still had to curtsey to the local
squire. I replied that no, I didn't and then asked if she still had to pull
the covered wagons into a circle every night :-Þ

The aboslute best one I've personally experienced was when the local convent
school was visited by pupils (teenagers) and some sisters from the school
the same order runs in New York. There was I and a couple of other adultsat
the church in Swaffham having a coffee (the church was the meeting point for
the girls if they needed any assistance in their allowed free-time shopping
in town). A couple of our visitors came in, most distressed. Seems they were
upset that they couldn't find anyone to accept their money in shops. Yes,
they were attempting to use dollars. Seems it hadn't occured to them or
their parents that the UK may have its own currency. "But why wouldn't they
take our dollars?"

Young people are taught (or used to be) that America is *the* best
place, strongest currency, blah, blah, blah. We'uns be ignerunt
sumtimz.

Then the little darlings refused to eat 'English food'
and created such a song and dance about it that they had to have McDonalds
brought in - *it* was proper food apparently.

This is just America's young people. My own daughter (well step, but
you get the idea) would eat nothing but McDs growing up (strangely she
does not have a weight problem). Didn't matter that my "McNuggets"
were just as good (by her standard), it HAD to be McDonalds.

Having had the fresh,
home-cooked food at the convent I can honestly say there is nothing wrong
with it at all, indeed I've had many a pleasant and wholesome meal there.

I must admit, I found the experience of the girls wonderfully whacky, as
whenever Vernon, Nathan & I have visited foreign soil, the rule we followis
respect the country we are in and enjoy finding out about new people,
places, customs and (YUM..) new foods.

Cheers, helen s

Old December 12th 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
Or Dallas, Texas. I used to correspond with a lovely young lady from
Toronto, who asked about the gunfights in town...

They now have gunfights in Toronto though - gun violence in the Jane/Finch
area. A crying shame.

.... and by the way, 99.9% of Canadians don't drive snow mobiles to work in
the winter :-)

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Louis will be speaking soon Brian Link Cat health & behaviour 8 April 23rd 05 08:18 PM
Speaking of harnesses... ceb Cat health & behaviour 5 January 6th 05 09:47 PM
Speaking of tails LOL Cat anecdotes 5 August 12th 04 10:00 PM
Speaking of Fleas... jmcquown Cat anecdotes 12 May 27th 04 03:05 AM
Speaking of rubber bands.... jmcquown Cat anecdotes 30 March 25th 04 04:17 AM