Speaking of Being a "Target" OT

Old December 12th 05, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Speaking of Being a "Target" OT

ok 97.5% :-) the truth comes out
"Susan M" wrote in message
"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
Or Dallas, Texas. I used to correspond with a lovely young lady from
Toronto, who asked about the gunfights in town...

They now have gunfights in Toronto though - gun violence in the Jane/Finch
area. A crying shame.

... and by the way, 99.9% of Canadians don't drive snow mobiles to work in
the winter :-)

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old December 12th 05, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Mark Edwards wrote:
Or Dallas, Texas. I used to correspond with a lovely young lady from
Toronto, who asked about the gunfights in town...

When I was in college, in the early 90's, I spent a year as an exchange
student at Tulane University in New Orleans. A few people would be a bit
incredulous when I told them I was from Mexico. They stared at me and
said, "But you dress just like us!". I was like, "what did you expect? a
mariachi outfit?" It seems they thought all mexicans dressed like in the
old movies!

Victor, was yesterday a Mexican holiday or a church holiday largely
celebrated by Mexican's? There was a large gathering at our Catholic
church, it looked like there had been a parade. And many people were
wearing costumes or traditional type outfits. Red white and green skirts,
hair up in ribbons etc. I very seldom see that sort of dressing up around
here. At least not beyond some of the men's fondness for really nice cowboy
boots.

Jo

Old December 12th 05, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mark Edwards wrote:
[...]

It was the feast of The Virgin of Guadalupe. It was sad here in Houston
when one church found that a statue of Our Lady was defaced by vandals. :

Here's a web site about the Feast Day.

http://www.lasculturas.com/lib/libFeastGuad.htm

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 12th 05, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I met a very sweet lady in Atlanta when I was visiting a friend there,
who told me that she'd love to come to England but (a) she didn't like
having vaccinations and (b) thought it must be a pain not to be able to
drink the tap water!

Mind you they thought I was a freak cos I don't drive, and I liked to
take the 15 minute walk to the mall (which was a real eye-opener to me,
you don't get to see people in London saying grace before they eat
McDonalds), and there was no pavement so I had to basically walk on the
very busy road (a 6 laner), and then under a garden sprayer, it was
that or walk in the middle of the road, so I got soaked. I think they
must have thought I was a complete nutter, I didn't realise there was
no pavements before I set out!

And then again I walked into a bar in Oakland, totally lost, and asked
someone to call a cab for me, the people in the posh part of Oakland
that I was working for totally freaked when I told them, they said it
wasn't safe and was "Crack Central" - but they were so nice to me in
there, perhaps it was my accent but I didn't feel threatened, but then
I was living near Brixton at the time so maybe that's why.

jmcquown wrote:

WARNING: contains content some might consider "racist"

Some people just display their ignorance in public and it bugs the heck out
of me, especially when they try to rope me into it.

I was at the little store down the street which was bought by a very nice
family of folks from Ethiopia. The man was getting a bag for my purchases
when the black woman in line behind me (wearing the most ridiculous hair
rollers I've ever seen!) said to him, "You look like you should be a model,
did you get those clothes at Abercrombie & Fitch?". He laughed and said he
bought the clothes in Africa. She said, "Huh? They have clothes like that?
I didn't think they wore clothes in Africa; I thought they was all nekkid.
Or they wore leaves and stuff." He smiled at her indulgently.

Then she went off on a tangent. "We ain't even supposed to be here [in the
U.S.] We was stolen! By people like HER!" and she turned and pointed at
me. She was laughing, but folks, she was deadly serious behind that
laughter. I held up my hands and said, "I didn't have a thing to do with
it." And I took my purchases, thanked the man and left.

I hate when people display ignorance in public. The folks who own the store
emigrated here from Ethiopia 6 months ago to find a better life and they've
found one. They own a very nice, busy store. They wear leaves? Run around
"nekkid"? I'd blame public education except I'm a product of public
education. I'm sure I'm ignorant in many areas, but I'd never start a
conversation like that with someone from another country when I didn't know
what the HELL I was talking about.

Jill

Old December 12th 05, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:33:29 -0600, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

Mark Edwards wrote:
[...]

Jeez Louise, was Essence of Stupidity released into the world water
supply yesterday? :P

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old December 12th 05, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mark Edwards wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Guadalupe was the name I couldn't bring to the front of my mind.
Steven's friend Manuel tried to tell me last night be I'm not good at
understanding words that I can't place in context. Hearing still not up for
it.

Off to read the web site.

Jo

Old December 12th 05, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hans Schrøder wrote:

And, just to make sure you get the point: There are no polar bears walking
around in the streets (or anywhere else) in Norway. Lots of questions are
asked about that, too...

"Polar bears"? Now if they asked about reindeer (especially
in the far northern portion of the country) it might be some
normal "geographically challenged" American like me, but
Polar bears? (I think there are some in Alaska, but they
aren't even native to Northern Europe, are they?)

Old December 13th 05, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Perkins skrev i meddelandet ...
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

"Polar bears"? Now if they asked about reindeer (especially
in the far northern portion of the country) it might be some
normal "geographically challenged" American like me, but
Polar bears? (I think there are some in Alaska, but they
aren't even native to Northern Europe, are they?)

They're extremely good swimmers, though!

I don't actually know if they are native to areas outside North America,
although I'd expect that they'd be in the northern part of the former
USSR, at least.

--
Cheryl

Oh yes, there are polar bears in northern Europe, but north of the
Scandinavian peninsula. Very dangerous animals.
http://www.svalbard.net/index.asp?in...egory&catid=41
Elisabet

Old December 13th 05, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Lisa Katt" wrote:

Cheryl Perkins skrev i meddelandet ...
I don't actually know if they are native to areas outside North America,
although I'd expect that they'd be in the northern part of the former
USSR, at least.

Oh yes, there are polar bears in northern Europe, but north of the
Scandinavian peninsula. Very dangerous animals.
http://www.svalbard.net/index.asp?in...egory&catid=41
Elisabet

I guess that places like Alaska, Siberia, Greenland, and northern
Europe aren't all that far apart from the point of view of the arctic.

Louis will be speaking soon Brian Link Cat health & behaviour 8 April 23rd 05 08:18 PM
Speaking of harnesses... ceb Cat health & behaviour 5 January 6th 05 09:47 PM
Speaking of tails LOL Cat anecdotes 5 August 12th 04 10:00 PM
Speaking of Fleas... jmcquown Cat anecdotes 12 May 27th 04 03:05 AM
Speaking of rubber bands.... jmcquown Cat anecdotes 30 March 25th 04 04:17 AM