Veterinary cat food recalled - thiamine deficient

Old May 12th 12, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

Default Veterinary cat food recalled - thiamine deficient

http://www.marke****ch.com/story/nes...-b1-2012-05-11

Product Name Can "Best By" Date &
Can UPC
Size Production Code*
Code
Purina Veterinary Diets® OM 5.5 oz. JUN 2013
11721159 38100 - 13810
(Overweight Management) Feline Formula

buglady
take out the dog before replying
Old May 13th 12, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

buglady buglady99 bigfoot.com wrote:

Purina Veterinary Diets (Overweight Management) Feline Formula

Thanks for the heads up. I guess that's the stuff that was next to
the Purina Pro Plan at PetSmart.

My adopted strays get high quality dry cat food, put into zipper
sandwich bags, stored in the refrigerator, and then soaked in
water before the small bag is used for feeding. Currently that's
Purina Pro Plan. This last time I bought the long hair formula. I
figure the only difference is maybe it has more fiber to help with
furballs. But I guess they are all pretty much the same (given the
same category).

That method works well here. The bag of high quality dry food is
separated into zipper bags that are stored in the refrigerator.
When ready to be used, I grab a bag and pour half of that into a
new bag. Put the other half back into the fridge. Add warm/hot
water to the new bag that is half-full of food. Swish, burp, and
zip closed. After soaking, if the food doesn't have enough water,
at any time more water can be added and mixed. Later, the half bag
still in the refrigerator is used in the same way. And repeat for
all of the other bags full of food.

The last food had salmon as its main ingredient. Stirring in a
small amount of premium albacore tuna (regular leftovers from one
of my favorite meals) helped. This one says tuna is the main
ingredient. I'm sure it's not premium albacore, but hopefully they
will like it better than the salmon.

buglady take out the dog before replying

Old May 13th 12, 07:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds

In article , John Doe
wrote:

[...]

why do you store the dry food in the refrigerator?
Old May 13th 12, 08:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-bugged invalid.invalid wrote:

John Doe wrote:
[...]

Because I want it to remain as fresh as possible. Considering the
fact that Science Diet (and maybe all others, I don't know) bags
are nowhere near airtight, I guess that is overdoing it. But
that's the way I like it. After it's wet, it probably should be
stored in the refrigerator.
Old May 13th 12, 08:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds

In article , John Doe
wrote:

why do you store the dry food in the refrigerator?

Because I want it to remain as fresh as possible. Considering the
fact that Science Diet (and maybe all others, I don't know) bags
are nowhere near airtight, I guess that is overdoing it. But
that's the way I like it. After it's wet, it probably should be
stored in the refrigerator.

When buying new bags of dry food I immediately transfer it to airtight
container(s), but I think refrigerating it is a waste of time and money