Vet not detecting pregnancy

Old March 24th 04, 03:56 PM
Marion

Default Vet not detecting pregnancy

I'm feeling awful, and I suppose I'm wondering how much I should have
expected myself or the vet to know.
We've been fostering cats since December. On Feb 5 this year, we took
a cat -- perhaps 2 years old -- not much was known about her, except
that her 91-year-old owner had died and that the house was full of
unspayed/unneutered cats and dogs. Someone had said that she might be
pregnant.
About a month later, she was at the vet for a checkup, and the vet
said that she didn't seem to be pregnant, unless the pregnancy was
early along. So on Monday (March 22) she went in to be spayed.
When the volunteer brought her home last night, she said that the vet
discovered when he opened her that she was indeed pregnant, and that
he'd had to terminate the pregnancy.
Now, adding up 22 + 23 + an unknown number of days before she arrived,
and we're getting rather close to the 60-63 day gestation period. The
only thing that I noticed was that she had a voracious appetite. I've
felt her tummy, but never noticed anything unusual.
Was this vet really careless in starting a spaying operation without
checking, or is it an easy mistake to make?
I could cry -- I feel that I've let this pleasant little cat down.
Marion
Old March 24th 04, 04:14 PM
Karen

Marion, do not feel bad. As you well know for fostering, there are so many
unwanted cats in the world. This little cat did not "know" she was pregnant
and wasn't expecting something in the way we would. She will be more
comfortable now and a happy kitty. Do not dwell on that which you can't
change, just enjoy this little cat until she finds a forever home.

Karen

om...

Old March 24th 04, 05:04 PM
Joe Canuck

Marion wrote:
[...]

If there was ANY doubt at all, the vet should have x-ray'd.

This isn't your fault, so don't feel bad.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old March 24th 04, 05:04 PM
Sherry

[...]

Don't feel bad. I agree that if the cat was in the latter stages of pregnancy,
the vet really should have noticed it, but again, it's not that unusual,
especially if you took her to a vet that does a high volume of spays.
Don't start dwelling on it as a moral issue, either. It's not that unusual to
spay a pregnant cat--it's not right, but neither is killing healthy kittens
already born, which is exactly what we do in this country. The cat really
doesn't know the difference, and after her hormones settle down, she'll be a
much happier cat. Hope she gets a good home.

Sherry

Old March 24th 04, 06:29 PM
Sunflower

"Marion" wrote in message
om...
[...]

We routinely spay pregnant cats right up to term. It's not at all unusual.
And, it would never occur to us to call an owner and ask them if they
*really* wanted their pregnant cat spayed. An owner usually knows if the cat
is PG or not. And if they "don't", it usually means that they really *do*,
but don't want to tell us because then it would somehow involve them in the
decision of euthanizing the babies. There are so many cats killed in this
country because of pet overpopulation that adding those kittens *does*
involve euthanasia of healthy animals---just not those particular ones. It
would be nice to live unaware of that, but it's the truth. For every kitten
born, that means another cat somewhere has to die. Spaying your cat saved
lives. If they know anything at all, the kittens were not aware of what
happened to them. All they know is that they were in a warm dark place and
then maybe they know they weren't. Euthanizing an adult cat involves no
such serene death. The cat is fully conscious of the needle going in, even
if they are unconscious by the time it's had it's full efects.

You did the right thing. Do it again if you have to. The only solution to
pet overpopulation is to spay and neuter. And, that includes terminating
many pregnancies.

Old March 24th 04, 10:06 PM
Sharon Talbert

Campus Cats routinely spays pregnant cats, as does the local feral cat
spay/neuter clinic. There are so many more cats than laps out there, we
feel it is wrong not to spay.

That said, our vet chickened out for the first time in the 10 years we've
been working together and opted out of spaying a tame preggie cat we
rescued. So now we have a cat and four kittens to find homes for.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
Seattle