Dental cleaning - how often?

Old October 2nd 04, 08:59 PM
Dragon

(Jason) wrote in message om...
Amber had her first dental cleaning last October at age 9 (after losing
one of her fangs). I just got a "reminder" from the vet that she is due
again next month. Are yearly dentals really necessary?

I'd really recommend checking her food - get advice perhaps from the
vet.... a cat should not get any build up of plaque (did I dpel
thatrite?) at least not if given the right food, and please- no milk
(what animal do you know of that drinks the stuff after being weaned
off the mother??) - Dry quality food should be sufficient, and water.
Our 5 year olds have never had to have any teeth cleaned on their
annual check-ups.
Not trying to be clever or anything.. but I DO believe it's down to
the right food, and staying clear of canned slop, and milk.

As others have noted, food choices do not always provide protection
from gum disease. For example, the oriental breeds are more prone to
gingivitis than other cats are. I have a friend who's two siamese
(who are both under a year old) have gingivitis already, and they eat
only quality dry food.

And....every obese cat I have ever encountered was fed a diet of dry
food only. Of course, not every dry food kitty is going to get fat,
but I've never seen a cat who was fed a mix of both canned and dry who
was overweight.

So, a *lot* depends upon the genetic makeup of your own particular
cat. Some kitties are just born with stronger constitutions than
others.

As to your question about how often to clean -- if your cat is
healthy, I would think that yearly cleanings are not necessary. There
is always a risk of something going wrong when the cat is put under
anesthesia. However, if your cat is struggling, health-wise, getting
their teeth cleaned regularly can really help matters in this regard.

dragon
Old October 3rd 04, 09:22 PM
Jason

" Must he go out? Wouldn't it be nicer never to have that feeling of
wondering
if he was the one hit, ever again?

This took place around 8:30 - 9am, there always kept in at night -
it's the best advice, definetely more likely to get into trouble with
any unfriendly stray's, or cars after dark! - around 5:30 - 6pm is
when the catdoor gets shut.
This is the 1st incident we'v had with any of them (3 - now 4 with the
addition of a stray that turned up a few weeks back) and in fact it's
only in recent times that we'v noticed 2 of them venturing toward the
street! It IS a worry, I'd absolutely hate any thought of them being
injured -or worse- but there not the kind to like being kept inside,
the car problem is the only danger, otherwise it's perfectly safe - no
other animals around ~ well.. except for the Mutt next door! but he's
closed in his backyard !! apart from the couple of times we'v spotted
one on the street edge, and a few weeks back Georgie came home walking
across the street and up to me!! horrors! I was out calling him - not
expecting to see him return from that direction!! cos they nearly
always head out the back where there are no houses or cars ~ just long
grass and open land. The Vet did say that in his experience, when a
cats had a shock like that - they DO learn and remember to beware of
that place - I hope he's right.
I'm about to start a web site - and a page of that is going to be cat
pix gallery... might be a little ways off yet, cos there will be more
to it than that page... and it'll take a bit of development - and
spare time! to get up and running, will release the site name here
1st!