Dental cleaning - how often?

Old September 27th 04, 03:15 PM
Jason

Amber had her first dental cleaning last October at age 9 (after losing
one of her fangs). I just got a "reminder" from the vet that she is due
again next month. Are yearly dentals really necessary?

I'd really recommend checking her food - get advice perhaps from the
vet.... a cat should not get any build up of plaque (did I dpel
thatrite?) at least not if given the right food, and please- no milk
(what animal do you know of that drinks the stuff after being weaned
off the mother??) - Dry quality food should be sufficient, and water.
Our 5 year olds have never had to have any teeth cleaned on their
annual check-ups.
Not trying to be clever or anything.. but I DO believe it's down to
the right food, and staying clear of canned slop, and milk.

Old September 27th 04, 04:36 PM
Karen

"Jason" wrote in message
m...
Amber had her first dental cleaning last October at age 9 (after

losing
one of her fangs). I just got a "reminder" from the vet that she is

due
again next month. Are yearly dentals really necessary?

I'd really recommend checking her food - get advice perhaps from the
vet.... a cat should not get any build up of plaque (did I dpel
thatrite?) at least not if given the right food, and please- no milk
(what animal do you know of that drinks the stuff after being weaned
off the mother??) - Dry quality food should be sufficient, and water.
Our 5 year olds have never had to have any teeth cleaned on their
annual check-ups.
Not trying to be clever or anything.. but I DO believe it's down to
the right food, and staying clear of canned slop, and milk.

No it is NOT just a food issue. There are genetics involved, as well as
immunity and allergy issues sometimes. There is no "miracle" dry food keeps
your cats teeth healthy. I just wanted to clear up that generalization.

Old September 27th 04, 07:20 PM
---MIKE---

Jason, that is just plain bad advice. I would rather provide dental
cleanings once a year than have the cat get urinary blockage from
insufficient water. Feeding canned food provides more water than dry
food plus drinking would provide.

---MIKE---

Old September 27th 04, 08:18 PM
jamie

Jason wrote:
Amber had her first dental cleaning last October at age 9 (after losing
one of her fangs). I just got a "reminder" from the vet that she is due
again next month. Are yearly dentals really necessary?

I'd really recommend checking her food - get advice perhaps from the
vet.... a cat should not get any build up of plaque (did I dpel
thatrite?) at least not if given the right food, and please- no milk
(what animal do you know of that drinks the stuff after being weaned
off the mother??) - Dry quality food should be sufficient, and water.
Our 5 year olds have never had to have any teeth cleaned on their
annual check-ups.
Not trying to be clever or anything.. but I DO believe it's down to
the right food, and staying clear of canned slop, and milk.

Gideon needed his first cleaning at 4 years old, on a diet of Science
Diet dry. Lemieux never did until recently. I believe it's because
Gideon chewed his dry food, and LeMieux swallowed it whole (he clearly
threw it up whole when he ate too fast or brought up a hairball),
but for some reason started chewing it after he was 10 years old.

And any low-carbing human can tell you that not eating starchy food
leaves virtually no coating on your teeth to become plaque and tartar.
A quality canned food should leave far less crud on their teeth than
"quality" dry, if they chew their dry.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."