This Vet Delivers

Old June 14th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Default This Vet Delivers

Yesterday was a mess. I needed to get my medicines (especially my blood
pressure pills), but I also needed Internet's Tapazole and c/d food for
Trill. I could not figure out how I was going to do all this, but my
mother-in-law thought she could get me to the drug store and grocery
store (needed a few things, including bananas; the blood pressure pills
make me lose potassium, so it was a potassium supplement [yet another
pill! NO WAY!] or a banana a day. I opted for the bananas). I had no
idea what to do about the cat stuff.

I called the vet's around 11:30 am, and found out that, yes, they closed
at noon. I told them Internet was completely out of his Tapazole, and
has missed a dose Friday, so he could have one last one Saturday at
least. There was no way I could get there on time. I asked (bold me!)
if maybe someone could drop it off and I would pay them. They said
they'd see, and would call me back.

In the meanwhile, I call my MIL; she can't take me anywhere; her car is
not working again. I have calls into a couple of other people, but they
haven't called me back. Crap!

The vet calls and says that yes, someone will bring the meds over. I
find out later that the someone will be Dr. Dan, the owner of the
clinic! Wow, I didn't expect that! They tell me he will probably be
here before 2:30. Good, I think; I can catch the bus and go to my
pharmacy to get my meds and the store to get my bananas etc.

So I wait. And wait. And wait. I call back the vet's office and talk
to Dr. Chris (Dr. Dan's wife). She seems a bit snippy today, and tells
me he had other errands to do, and it would probably be more like 6:30
before he got there.

Well, thanks for *that* monkey wrench in my plans, as it is now too late
to go to my regulary pharmacy; it's closed.

So I call one other friend, and her husband agrees to take me to the
grocery store, which has a pharmacy open until 9 pm (that's what it said
on their recording). Only one problem: it's Saturday.

So I give up on Dr. Dan and Jeff comes and picks me up, taking me to the
grocery store. Their pharmacy closes at 7 pm on Saturdays. It's locked
up tight at 8:00 pm. I get my groceries at least, and ask them where
there is a pharmacy that might be open. They tell me, and Jeff sighs
and does his best race car driver impression to get me up there in time.
Where I find out that, no, they closed at 6 pm.

By this point, I just have to light up a cigarette, so I do so and
slowly go over to Jeff's truck and tell him the situation, which is that
there is apparently only one 24 hour pharmacy in this Big City, and it's
way up north. Jeff is getting ****ed, but what else can we do? We go
up there, and yes! The pharmacy is open!

So I wait. And wait. And wait. And finally go up to the counter where
they claim they called my name. No way in hell did that happen except
in their imaginations, but they refuse to admit they messed up. I just
grit my teeth (or what's left of them) and take my medications as Jeff
and I zoom back to my place.

Karen, my friend next door, is out front with a bag. It seems Dr. Dan
showed up about half an hour after we left. Karen was out front and
asked if it was okay for him to leave it with her, which he did. The
bill was just stuck inside the bag with the meds. Jeff screeched off,
yelling "Call Marna!" (his wife and my college roommate) I called her
and reassured her he was on his way and all was well.

I took my first blood pressure pill and felt truly old for the first
time in my life. But at least I have a vet that delivers.

Ginger-lyn
Old June 15th 09, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jun 14, 6:08*pm, Ginger-lyn wrote:
[...]

I feel for you as I also don't have a car. I often had problem getting
a cab to take
me and Rusty to the vet. Many cab drivers don't want to take a cat.
Once I waited
for an hour at a vet clinic waiting for a cab to come pick me up.
Finally another
cat slave drove me home. Now I stick to a vet clinic within walking
distance.
But in the depth of winter or pouring rain, there is no way I can
walk there carrying
Rusty.
More than once I was down to the last can of prescription cat food and
rushed to the vet clinic before they closed. The clinic is closed on
Sat. and Sunday.

Winnie
Old June 16th 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Winnie wrote:
[...]

{{{Winnie}}}

It's hard, isn't it? I've had the same problem with cab drivers, and
had an occasional person on the bus loudly object to a cat being there.
This new clinic is *almost* within walking distance for me. I have
had a very hard time lately walking far at all, so right now, I couldn't
do it, but if I can get my health better, I probably can, or at least
get part of the way there on foot.

Ginger-lyn
Old June 16th 09, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jun 15, 10:45*pm, Ginger-lyn wrote:

{{{Winnie}}}

It's hard, isn't it? *I've had the same problem with cab drivers, and
had an occasional person on the bus loudly object to a cat being there.
* This new clinic is *almost* within walking distance for me. *I have
had a very hard time lately walking far at all, so right now, I couldn't
do it, but if I can get my health better, I probably can, or at least
get part of the way there on foot.

Cats are not allowed on buses here. So it is either walk or taxi.
There is pet taxi. But is has a minimum charge that does not work for
me.

In a way it is a good thing Rusty doesn't weigh much for me to hand
carry him
No need to do weights.
A trip to the vet provides a good workout for me if I am walking.
A case of 24 cans of prescriptioncat food is also a good weight
lifting.
Which reminds me, time to stock up on cat food. At least I can take
that on the
bus.
I think Rusty also prefers I carry him than going in the metal
monster.
Sometimes if I am lucky my neighbour would give me a ride to the vet.

Take care of yourself. Hope you feel better soon.

Winnie
Old June 16th 09, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Winnie" wrote in message
[...]

****************

I would be seriously considering stating that my cat was a 'companion
animal' and as such not subject to such ridiculous rules. (Don't
recall where 'here' is)

The Disability Act comes in very handy at times. It allows you to
take a companion animal anywhere with you. Doesn't have to be a
seeing eye dog. Plus no one is allowed to ask you what your
disability is or why you require the animal.

Jo

Old June 16th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jun 15, 11:40*pm, "Jofirey" wrote:

****************

I would be seriously considering stating that my cat was a 'companion
animal' and as such not subject to such ridiculous rules. *(Don't
recall where 'here' is)

The Disability Act comes in very handy at times. *It allows you to
take a companion animal anywhere with you. *Doesn't have to be a
seeing eye dog. *Plus no one is allowed to ask you what your
disability is or why you require the animal.

Jo

Here is in Ottawa - Canada's capital.
There was a recent proposal to allow pets on buses. But the bus
drivers union voted it down. We had a bus strike recently for over 2
months in the depth of winter which causes a lot of grief. So the
union has a lot of clout. I don't even want to argue with a bus
driver.
I agree with you. A cat in a carrier will cause less allergy than a
seeing eye dog.
The vet was the one who alerted me to the fact that pets are not
allowed on buses.

Winnie

Old June 16th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bigboy

[...]

Many purrs for you and your kids. I'm also in Columbus, Ohio. Is
this Dr. Dan on Main St?

BigBoy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice, Ms. Blue
Belle and Cheddar
Old June 21st 09, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

bigboy wrote:

Many purrs for you and your kids. I'm also in Columbus, Ohio. Is
this Dr. Dan on Main St?

BigBoy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice, Ms. Blue
Belle and Cheddar

Thank you, and the same to yours.

No, my vet is on High St. in Clintonville. Are you still looking for one?

Ginger-lyn
Old June 22nd 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bigboy

On Jun 21, 2:02*pm, Ginger-lyn wrote:
bigboy wrote:

Many purrs for you and your kids. *I'm also in Columbus, Ohio. *Is
this Dr. Dan on Main St?

BigBoy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice, Ms. Blue
Belle and Cheddar

Thank you, and the same to yours.

No, my vet is on High St. in Clintonville. *Are you still looking for one?

Ginger-lyn

I'm trying Dr. Custer out right now - testing the waters to see how I
like him. I haven't heard or seen any other comments on here about
him.

Old June 22nd 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

bigboy wrote:

Many purrs for you and your kids. I'm also in Columbus, Ohio. Is
this Dr. Dan on Main St?
BigBoy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice, Ms. Blue
Belle and Cheddar

Thank you, and the same to yours.

No, my vet is on High St. in Clintonville. Are you still looking for one?

Ginger-lyn

I'm trying Dr. Custer out right now - testing the waters to see how I
like him. I haven't heard or seen any other comments on here about
him.

BigBoy,Princess,Mr.Boots,Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice, Ms. Blue Belle
and Cheddar

My friend (who is a vet's daughter) is trying him out, too. So far, she
seems pleased.

Ginger-lyn