Hoarding record?

Old July 13th 05, 09:09 PM
Justin L

Default Hoarding record?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - About 300 cats, nearly a third of them dead,
were removed from an elderly woman's Virginia home after neighbors
complained of a stench coming from the house, police said on Tuesday.

read more at...

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...DD-CATS-DC.XML

or

http://tinyurl.com/9ee43
Old July 13th 05, 09:15 PM
whitershadeofpale

"Justin L" wrote in message
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - About 300 cats, nearly a third of them dead,
were removed from an elderly woman's Virginia home after neighbors
complained of a stench coming from the house, police said on Tuesday.

read more at...

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...ws&storyID=200
5-07-12T135625Z_01_N12552313_RTRIDST_0_USREPORT-ODD-CATS-DC.XML

or

http://tinyurl.com/9ee43

This is shocking to my senses
Im not fussin, just stating a fact.

Wow

Old July 13th 05, 09:17 PM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:09:13 +0000, Justin L wrote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - About 300 cats, nearly a third of them dead, were
removed from an elderly woman's Virginia home after neighbors complained
of a stench coming from the house, police said on Tuesday.

read more at...

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...DD-CATS-DC.XML

or

http://tinyurl.com/9ee43

Pathetic -- for both the woman and the cats. MLB
Old July 13th 05, 09:55 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Justin L wrote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - About 300 cats, nearly a third of them dead,
were removed from an elderly woman's Virginia home after neighbors
complained of a stench coming from the house, police said on Tuesday.

read more at...

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...DD-CATS-DC.XML

or

http://tinyurl.com/9ee43

I really don't understand what is wrong with these people. To rescue cats
(or dogs) is fine, but why don;t they get them fixed?!?!?!?! Isn't a
spay/neuter expense less than the cost of feeding 200-300+ animals in the
long run???? Most communities have spay/neuter clinics, or barring that,
and assistance program that will help with the cost of the proceedures. And
the damage they do to the buidling (clawing, feces, urine) all adds up to
even more of a cost - add to that the humiliation of being labeled a
"hoarder" in the press & media, and then having to find another place to
live because your "home" (and I use that term loosely) has been condemned by
the Board of Health & Safety....

Yes, I have *8* cats, and yes they stay indoors 99.9% of the time (there
have been escapees, and I include trips to TED as being outside ), *BUT*
all mine have been spayed/neutered, so I will have only *8* - until such
time that we decide to add another, or one crosses the Rainbow Bridge.
--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old July 13th 05, 11:36 PM
KellyH

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote

[...]

These people are mentally ill. They really don't know what they are doing.
These situations are very sad, for both the people and the animals. Usually
the person is charged with some type of animal cruelty, but I think they
also should be ordered to attend counseling.

-Kelly

Old July 15th 05, 04:26 AM
Justin L

http://tinyurl.com/affnt

Cops: Woman had over 420 cats in two homes
7/14/2005, 7:52 p.m. PT
The Associated Press

BURKE, Va. (AP) — Neighbors who had wondered what that stench was from
another town house spent Thursday coming to grips with the answer.
Police said the odor was that of more than 100 dead cats, plus nearly
50 more live ones, being kept by an elderly woman.

That same woman was arrested earlier this week after authorities
removed more than 270 cats, both alive and dead, from another of her
homes in the county's Mount Vernon section.

Ruth Knueven, 82, already faces charges including cruelty to animals
and obstruction of justice for the July 8 discovery in Mount Vernon.
Police said Thursday they are deciding whether to level additional
charges against Knueven after finding 134 dead cats and 47 living ones
in a Burke home belonging to her family....(article continues)

Old July 15th 05, 04:46 AM
Justin L

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 03:26:13 GMT, Justin L
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/affnt

snip

another article, more detailed

http://tinyurl.com/aywxh

Maybe I am wrong, but from what I can understand, her family was
living with her, and allowed it to go on?
Old July 15th 05, 05:13 AM

KellyH wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep=A9" wrote

[...]

g=2E
These situations are very sad, for both the people and the animals. Usua=

lly
the person is charged with some type of animal cruelty, but I think they
also should be ordered to attend counseling.

-Kelly

Yes, that's true. It's not like they just deliberately, suddenly
collected 300 cats, either. Some of these people (usually ladies,
rarely men).... do without proper food for themselves to *try* to care
for the cats. They start out usually taking in strays, then they're
unable to afford spay/neuter and the situation just gets progressively
worse. They usually love the cats very much, but believe no one else
will take good care of them and won't try to re-home them or take them
to shelters. They're just sick. It's very sad. And you're right, they
usually just get an animal neglect charge and get the cats seized. And
they invariably start over with more cats.=20

Sherry

Old July 15th 05, 01:27 PM
Ron Herfurth

"KellyH" kelly at farringtons dot net wrote in message

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote

[...]

And once again I ask are they really mentally ill or just dumb? Some one
brings home a dozen stray cats (like me or anyone else on this group) but
for nothing more than a lack of education or experience doesn't realize how
fast cats multiply. Before they can round up the cash to fix the cats they
brought home, there's dozens of kitten, and soon after dozens more. Then
they're overcome by the hopelessness of getting them all fixed, and too
embarrassed to admit what they got them selves into. And then to make them
fell better and show our human support and compassion, we call them mentally
ill. Until the police and press show up, neither of whom know **** about
cats and act like this person individually brought home 200-300 cats.
They day I hear a reporter in one of these cases ask "how many cats did you
actually bring home" I'll get off my soapbox.

Ron
over 25 cats collected,
yeah, I'm a cat collector,
Am I mentally ill?