Job purrs requested

Old May 31st 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Job purrs requested

"Lesley" wrote in message
ups.com...

We would appreciate some purrs that she will able to find a resolution to
the problems with her current job, or find a job tht won't drive her
crazy.

Purrs on their way for Nancy and her job problems- she has my sympathy
(I have a colleague who makes me want to storm into the managers office
and scream "Me or him! Make your mind up!")

For what it's worth sometimes that works. Although not always as intended.
About eight years ago my daughters manager did that. Manager was fired,
daughter got job and is now managing 5 stores.

I've got to think the former manager is now happier too. Life is just too
short.

Jo

Old May 31st 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I dreamed about my work too, more than 2 years later. But it was about
work I wasn't even doing during my last year on the job. I think in the
dream
I couldn't solve a problem or something. I was in software support.
People contacted us about the problems they had with the software we
developed.

Winnie

What's really sad about this whole situation is Nancy's history of getting
saddled with a**hole bosses.

We met when we were both working for the Press-Enterprise, one of the
bigger regional newspapers by us. We worked in the same department, for
the same boss. He typified the pointy-haired boss from the Dilbert comic
strip. In fact, our nickname for him was PHB.

I ended up quitting because I couldn't handle PHB any more. A few months
later Nancy got a job with the company I had moved to. After less than a
year that company went out of business.

Skipping ahead in the interest of brevity, a couple years ago Nancy landed
a job as editor at another local paper. The work was what she's most
skilled at, but there were only two people doing a job that normally would
require 5. She worked so many hours that I feared for her health. I was
really relieved when she learned that the parent newspaper was looking for
a web content manager, and was thrilled when she got the job.

The job was wonderful when she started. She worked just 5 miles from home,
though her boss was in Woodland Hills (maybe 80 miles away). She was
working at the local paper, was actually working for the newspaper group
that owned the paper. After a few months the newspaper shuffled
management. Nancy's boss got fired and a former low-level flunky was named
as her boss. This flunky has no idea how to manage. He has Nancy working 7
days a week, though on weekends she only has to work 2 or 3 hours and can
do the work from home, and she is putting in easily 60 hours a week.

She will go to her manager with problems she is unable to handle herself,
the manager tells her "that's ok, I'll take care of it", then a few months
later (after having done nothing about it) he sends a nasty e-mail to
Nancy and the publisher asking her why she hasn't handled the problem.

She has been having an awful streak of getting stuck with bad bosses. It's
about time for her to get a good boos and a good job.

Dan
Old May 31st 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 31 May 2006 06:01:03 -0700, Dan M wrote:

Nancy has been having an awful time of it with her job.

Her previous job, at a small local paper, had her working 60 hours per
week (on salary, of course). She transferred to a larger paper in the same
group, and it looked like things were to be better. But the parent company
did some internal changes, and now she's working 60 hours per week again.
On top of the silly hours, her boss and his boss are both expecting
ridiculous things of her (things they then make it impossible for her to
do).

We would appreciate some purrs that she will able to find a resolution to
the problems with her current job, or find a job tht won't drive her crazy.

Dan

So sorry to hear that, Dan. Purrs for Nancy's job situation to
improve or change.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)
Old May 31st 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Dan M" wrote in message
news
[...]

Absolutely purrs on the way.

Also, I way be way out of line, but does she have a problem with saying no
when they make unreasonable requests on her time?

Too many bosses take advantage, but some employees are too agreeable for
their own good. I don't know how she would find the time, but there are
some very good classes on how to deal with such situations. Maybe some
available on line or library videos.

Jo

Old May 31st 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
I dreamed about my work too, more than 2 years later. But it was
about work I wasn't even doing during my last year on the job. I
think in the dream
I couldn't solve a problem or something. I was in software support.
People contacted us about the problems they had with the software we
developed.

Winnie

I did software tech support for proprietary software, too. The problem was
they started hiring kids who didn't know a dang thing about the platform the
software ran on (Unix) so it wound up being "just ask Jill" rather than
bother to learn anything about it yourself.

We met when we were both working for the Press-Enterprise, one of the
bigger regional newspapers by us. We worked in the same department,
for the same boss. He typified the pointy-haired boss from the
Dilbert comic strip. In fact, our nickname for him was PHB.

I started out with a wonderful boss. Then than PITA, "reorganization"
started taking over. By the time I left they had absolutely NO ONE who knew
a darn thing about technology in charge of programming and this proprietary
software tech support. She couldn't figure out that just because we *used*
Microsoft products as a company standard didn't mean we were Microsoft tech
support analysts. Hey lady! Your email is down? Gee, so is mine. Don't
ask *me* why and sure as hell don't expect me to know how to fix it!

I ended up quitting because I couldn't handle PHB any more. A few
months later Nancy got a job with the company I had moved to. After
less than a year that company went out of business.

Been there, done that. (sadly)

[...]

That just sucks, Dan.

She has been having an awful streak of getting stuck with bad bosses.
It's about time for her to get a good boos and a good job.

Dan

Major non-stressful job purrs on the way. My taxi will be here in 30
minutes to take me to the airport so keep in mind Persia is purring for
Nancy from that nasty vet place! (boarding, poor baby)

Jill

Old May 31st 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
Nancy has been having an awful time of it with her job.

434-237-1572

ask for Joyce and her buddy

barryparrish.com

don't forget the rule of importunity

Old May 31st 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Absolutely purrs on the way.

Also, I way be way out of line, but does she have a problem with saying no
when they make unreasonable requests on her time?

I've asked her the same. She says she does tell the bosses when something
they expect is unreasonable but they manage to forget all about it.

Too many bosses take advantage, but some employees are too agreeable for
their own good. I don't know how she would find the time, but there are
some very good classes on how to deal with such situations. Maybe some
available on line or library videos.

She has been reading a couple of books on that topic.

Old May 31st 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Dan M" wrote in message
news
Nancy has been having an awful time of it with her job.

Her previous job, at a small local paper, had her working 60 hours per
week (on salary, of course). She transferred to a larger paper in the same
group, and it looked like things were to be better. But the parent company
did some internal changes, and now she's working 60 hours per week again.
On top of the silly hours, her boss and his boss are both expecting
ridiculous things of her (things they then make it impossible for her to
do).

This is a well-known form of workplace bullying, the problem often is that
someone else will need to say they've witnessed it for her to have a chance
of fighting it and many people are reluctant to do so as they're afraid of
falling out of management favour if they do.
Is Nancy in a trade union? If so they are often quite helpful over this
sort of thing.
I experienced this myself 3 years ago. I was coping with sudden
bereavement, my own ill-health and deliberate workload overload plus
criticism and ridicule by a manager with extreme politics that didn't match
mine tipped me over the edge into clinical depression.

I work for the government and they don't like their employees to be on
long-term sick leave if they can avoid it.
(We don't like it either!)

After 3 months I had to see an "Occupational Health" doctor. Someone
completely neutral to see if there is any facilitation they can advise the
employer to do to help get us sickies back to work.

She was *so* brilliant. I've heard of people in years past where the first
step towards being sacked was a trip to Occupational Health so went there in
trepidation.
The first thing she said was: "I want you to realise straight away that you
are not here as a punishment for being ill." Phew..
And went on to say "It's my job to see if if there anything I can recommend
that could help you in getting back to work. Is there any equipment you
might need, any problem with management?"
After hearing my story she wrote and recommended an assessment for equipment
to help with my sight problems (got it, and good eqpt to help (3 grands
worth..!), bereavement counselling (which is still ongoing) and "the issue
of workplace bullying by setting impossible tasks must be addressed
immediately. Christina will not be able to return to work until then."
Well, the sh*t hit the fan after that. It all went to very high levels (
presumably because I could have sued them) and yes I could have done and won
perhaps but I felt so low at the time I couldn't face a fight.
That manager is no longer allowed to manage me. I think she was probably
reprimanded. This isn't going to make her like me any more, is it? ;-)
Occasionally we meet up in the corridors or outside the building. Sometimes
we ignore each other by looking down, I only look down if she does it first.
I hope it means she feels ashamed.
Sometimes we try to talk small talk to each other if there is someone else
there. It doesn't work, as they all notice and ask me afterwards why she is
not very nice to me.

We would appreciate some purrs that she will able to find a resolution to
the problems with her current job, or find a job tht won't drive her
crazy.

This is only my opinion, Dan. If her bosses are gunning for her - and it
sounds like they are - and there is no access to the sort of help I got she
needs to find another job as soon as she can.

No job is worth doing your head in for.

Lots of purrs to this to be resolved for Nancy.

Tweed

Old May 31st 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-31, Dan M penned:
Nancy has been having an awful time of it with her job.

Purrs for Nancy.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 31st 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-31, Dan M penned:

She will go to her manager with problems she is unable to handle
herself, the manager tells her "that's ok, I'll take care of it",
then a few months later (after having done nothing about it) he
sends a nasty e-mail to Nancy and the publisher asking her why she
hasn't handled the problem.

Email rules for accountability. She should either email contact her
manager about these issues first via email, or after the discussion in
which the manager says these things, send a followup (CCing everyone
affected by the problem) about how she just wants to update everyone
on the current status, and thank you so much to manager's name for
offering to handle this issue.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

I feel really bad today also purrs requested NMR Cat anecdotes 23 December 31st 05 06:45 AM
Purrs requested Pat Cat anecdotes 18 December 27th 05 06:00 PM
Purrs and Headbutts Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 0 December 20th 05 10:23 PM
Update November 30: Purrs Requested pmendhall Cat anecdotes 10 December 5th 03 04:42 AM
Purrs requested pmendhall Cat anecdotes 16 November 28th 03 11:54 AM