OT. Rant

Old November 20th 04, 03:10 AM
Christina Websell

"Sherry " wrote in message
I've no idea what the Roach Motel is, but the nightmare sure sounds
scary.

It's a roach trap. The commercial says, "Roaches check in, but they don't
check
out."
Kind of like a Hotel California for bugs.

Sherry

I don't even know what a Hotel California for bugs is.
Excuse a Brit for not knowing what you are talking about. Culture shock
again.

Tweed

Old November 20th 04, 03:15 AM
Sherry

I don't even know what a Hotel California for bugs is.
Excuse a Brit for not knowing what you are talking about. Culture shock
again.

Tweed

Oh, dang, Tweed. I am so sorry. I just don't think sometimes about the
international gap.
Hotel California is a song from the 70's by the Eagles. There's a line in it
that says, "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."
I am just chock full of obscure, useless information and it just pops out at
the most inappropriate times sometimes. :-)

Sherry

Old November 20th 04, 04:46 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 01:08:43 GMT, wrote:

Here's a hilarious letter that someone wrote to Dr. Laura, a talk-show
host in the US who routinely uses the Bible to justify all sorts of
bigotry and hatred. (Actually, I don't know whether she is still on the
air. This letter was written a number of years ago, so maybe she's
already old news.) Apologies if you have already seen this, as I said
it's old, but I thought it was apropos:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I
have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that
knowledge with as many people as I can.

When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I
simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an
abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other
specific laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates
a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors.
They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in
Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair
price to ask?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in
her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem
is, how do I know when that is? I have tried asking, but many women
take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and
female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A
friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not
Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus
35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated
to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than
homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I
have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading
glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle
room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair
around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by
Lev.19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes
me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two
different crops in the same field. His wife also violates Lev. 19:19
by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread
(cotton/polyester blend). My uncle also tends to curse and blaspheme
a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of
getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16)
Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like
we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident
you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and
unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

I have to wonder if this was really a letter to Dr Laura, because they
did a riff on this exact thing on "The West Wing," back in season 1 or
2 I think. President Bartlet did a quick stop in at some reception or
other, and ended up really chewing on a Dr Laura-type, asking many of
the same questions as listed above (including the verse and
citations). In particular I remember him asking about selling his
daughter into slavery, touching the skin of a dead pig, growing
different crops in the same field.

Maybe TWW lifted the Dr Laura letter, or the Dr Laura letter was born
from TWW...

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com

Old November 20th 04, 05:14 AM
Jeanne Hedge

OK, the Dr Laura letter wasn't a Dr Laura letter (like the Andy Rooney
quotes weren't from Andy Rooney). According to
http://westwing.bewarne.com/second/25admonitions.html
it's originally "Third hour of the show is a Phil Hendrie bit "Bible
Study with Dr. Heath Teal." That's the original. The Internet emails
are cribbed from Hendrie's bit. Airdate 6-14-2000."

That aside, I also found the information about "The West Wing" episode
where President Bartlet takes on a Dr Laura clone. It's in the 2nd
season episode "The Midterms". TWW's Aaron Sorkin admits to cribbing
from "a much forwarded anonymous email", and said they couldn't find
the original author to give credit to. Here's a transcript of the
scene (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=7220)

President Bartlet and his speechwriter Sam Seaborn stop by a White
House reception for talk radio people. As is traditional, everyone
stands when he enters the room except for one woman, who we later
learn is Dr Jenna Jacobs. Everyone but Dr Jacobs is just standing
around, this isn't really anything formal. Bartlet begins his remarks,
but sidetracks himself:

BARTLET: It’s a good idea to be reminded of the awesome impact, the
awesome impact… I’m sorry. You’re Dr. Jenna Jacobs, right?

JACOBS (obviously pleased to be recognized): Yes, sir!

BARTLET: It’s good to have you here.

JACOBS: Thank you!

BARTLET: … the awesome impact of the airwaves, and how that translates
into the furthering of our national discussions, but obviously also
how it can … how it can … Forgive me, Dr. Jacobs. Are you an M.D.?

JACOBS: A Ph.D.

BARTLET: A Ph.D.

JACOBS: Yes, sir.

BARTLET: In psychology?

JACOBS: No, sir.

BARTLET: Theology?

JACOBS: No.

BARTLET: Social work?

JACOBS: I have a Ph.D. in English Literature.

BARTLET: I’m asking ‘cause on your show people call in for advice –
and you go by the name Dr. Jacobs on your show – and I didn’t know if
maybe your listeners were confused by that and assumed you had
advanced training in psychology, theology or health care.

JACOBS: I don’t believe they are confused, no, sir.

BARTLET: I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an
“abomination!”

JACOBS: I don’t say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President.
The Bible does.

BARTLET: Yes it does. Leviticus!

JACOBS: 18:22.

BARTLET: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions
while I had you here. I wanted to sell my youngest daughter into
slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She’s a Georgetown Sophomore,
speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn.
What would a good price for her be?

(Bartlet only waits a second for a response, then plunges on.)

BARTLET: While thinking about that, can I ask another? My chief of
staff, Leo McGary, insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2
clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill
him myself? Or is it okay to call the police?

(Bartlet barely pauses to take a breath.)

BARTLET: Here’s one that’s really important, because we’ve got a lot
of sports fans in this town. Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one
unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the
Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West
Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my
brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my
mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two
different threads? Think about those questions, would you?

(The camera pushes in on the president.)

One last thing. While you may be mistaking this for your monthly
meeting of the Ignorant Tight-Ass Club, in this building when the
president stands, nobody sits.

(Jacobs sees that, in fact, the president is standing and she is the
only one in the room sitting. After a moment, she rises, holding her
tiny plate of appetizers. After the president exits, Sam Seaborn
sternly approaches a thoroughly belittled Jacobs.)

SAM: I’m just … going to take that crab puff.

(Sam snatches Dr. Jacob’s crab puff, then hurries after the
president.)

**********************************

Old November 20th 04, 05:54 AM
Yowie

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Yowie" wrote in message

You folks need far better PR (as do decent, peaceloving Muslims)

Yowie

Makes me wonder. Most every nation is subject to some pretty negative
stereotyping. So what did the Aussies and Kiwi's and Canadians do that

they
get a pass?

Well, us Aussies stereotype Kiwis as sheep loving dole bludgers. We know its
not true but we love nothing better than teasing our cousins in our 8th and
9th states from across the "creek". As far as I know (not being a Kiwi),
they say pretty much the very same thing about "the west island", ie,
Australia. Mind you, in the rest of the world, you'll find that Aussies and
Kiwis tend to stick together as we've got far more in common than any other
country. Beer, cricket and rugby, and hot christmases are important to us,
culturally.

As to Canadians... dunno.

Yowie

---