Neighbors cat is trying to move in

Old April 24th 15, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Cat Collars (WAS: Neighbors cat is trying to move in)

"Takayuki" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 19:34:03 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

You might be surprised how far outdoor cats can go. Even neutered/spayed
cats have been found killed by cars miles away. I don't think Boyfie
goes
far, but once he was missing for 8 hours. I nearly went mad, looking for
his
body in neighbouring streets but he marched in eventually. Like "what's
the
problem? any chance of food?"
You can imagine what I said to him.

That BBC program on the secret life of cats had that interesting study
where they put GPS collars on housecats. They found that neutered males
range quite far, particularly when compared to the girl cats.

I remember the first cat I made a connection with when I was little, was a
cat that could always be found on the open windowsill of her house. She'd
hop down to greet me when I walked past. I'm pretty sure she was a girl.

My very first cat I can remember. I was probably 3. I held him in my arms
and his feet dragged on the floor, so I was small He was a black cat. He
was called Tiddly.
What's your earliest memory?

I grew up in a rural area of Ohio USA. We were not farmers, but we had
horses and ponies (our pets), a dog and a cat. I was sitting in a small
building beside the cat when suddenly I saw something that seemed
"terribly wrong." I ran screaming to my mother to tell her that
something was falling out of the cat. Well, that was my first
introduction to the world of cats (and other animals) giving birth!

MaryL
Old April 24th 15, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I remember we had a cat when I was a kid in grade school.
Can't remember how we got her.
My mother doesn't even remember we had a cat.
She was a chubby cat and I don't think she got named.
Anyway, I spent a lot of time playing with her
instead of doing my homework.
Many nights she jumped on my bed when I was fast
asleep causing me to kick out startled.
Poor cat had her claws out trying to hang on to my bed.
She loved to sit on the windowsill. One time she felt off
and landed on some bamboo poles on the floor below.
Those poles were used to hang laundry out to dry.
Good thing my cousin lived downstairs and she was brought
back to us in one piece.
Lucky cat!

Winnie
Old April 26th 15, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Cat Collars

"dgk" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 18:43:21 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
.. .
Christina Websell wrote:

Agree completely. Tigger, my brother's cat will not wear a collar, he
removes it within an hour. Boyfie came here with a collar on, and he is
happy to wear one. I like him to have a reflective collar on because
he
often goes out when it's dark, even though there isn't much traffic at
least
if a car comes along they will see him. Not that he goes out the front
much
where the road is, it's "just in case". It has an elastic insert in
case
he gets caught up anywhere so he can wriggle out of it.
Most cats that are indoor/outdoor here wear collars.

Just a comment about collars with elastic inserts: during my years as a
fosterer I was given a number of cats with collar injuries to nurse back
to health. These occur when a lost/stray cat wearing a collar with
elasticated insert gets a front leg caught through the collar, and can't
get it back out again. The collar gets tightly caught under the front
'armpit' and rubs away fur and eventually skin, causing a very nasty
wound that is hard to heal due to the location. All of my cats wear
*breakaway* collars and tags, not elasticated collars, for this reason.
If they ever come back without a collar, I am glad because it has done
its job. I keep a small stock of them in as replacements for when this
happens.
Breakaway collar:
http://www.coolcatcollars.co.uk/brea...e-velvet-soft-
cat-collar.html
Elastic insert collar:
http://ru.dhgate.com/product/classic...t-liner-elasti
c/141348999.html

Deb.

I think elastic insert collars are safe, unless you let them get old when
the elastic bit isn't elastic any more.
Boyfie is due for a collar change. I have a breakaway for him but I have
get another person in to help me do it and they have to find the time.
No way could I do it alone, the moment I start messing with his collar, he
is up and out. I have to hold him down and someone else has to change his
collar. Usually June or Claire, which gives him another reason to not
trust
them ever again.
I try and reassure him, that he knows them, and that they wouldn't hurt
him,
but it's pointless.

My cats are pretty good about the collars which is surprising
considering how terrible they are about letting me cut their claws. I
very rarely do that - only when I get an accidental deep puncture
wound.

I don't have to clip Boyfie's claws, phew he keeps them in order himself
by exercising them on my trees.
Collar changes can be difficult. The one has on is at the end of its life.
I like him to have a reflective collar on because he goes out after dark but
more so a collar proves he is owned and not feral.
I have a breakway reflective collar waiting to be put on. I need a
volunteer to help.
Boyfie *hates* having things done to him. Putting Stronghold spot on on him
is a nightmare. It's in a little capsule and the second I snip the end off
it, he can smell it and he says "No way, now try and catch me"
Takes two people.

Old April 30th 15, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

[...]

Pooey Pruie, my childhood cat was a boy. Too old to be neutered at the time.
He was also a lost boy, I found him starving in the garden, I insisted my
mother allowed me to adopt him.
My mother said No. I said Yes.

He used to wait outside the house for me to come home from school and carry
him inside.
He was a very old feral. To say he had an odour would be an understatement.
He stunk. He was more than grumpy with anyone else but me.
So let's get the boys done, eh?

Old May 4th 15, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

You might be surprised how far outdoor cats can go. Even
neutered/spayed
cats have been found killed by cars miles away. I don't think Boyfie
goes
far, but once he was missing for 8 hours. I nearly went mad, looking for
his
body in neighbouring streets but he marched in eventually. Like "what's
the
problem? any chance of food?"
You can imagine what I said to him.

That BBC program on the secret life of cats had that interesting study
where they put GPS collars on housecats. They found that neutered males
range quite far, particularly when compared to the girl cats.

That's the show I was thinking of! Yep, the tracked them and they were
all over the place. People seemed to think their cats didn't roam very
far. Boy were they wrong!

I'd love to have a camera on Boyfie's collar.