Neighbors cat is trying to move in

Old April 17th 15, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Cat Collars

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Agree completely. Tigger, my brother's cat will not wear a collar, he
removes it within an hour. Boyfie came here with a collar on, and he is
happy to wear one. I like him to have a reflective collar on because he
often goes out when it's dark, even though there isn't much traffic at
least
if a car comes along they will see him. Not that he goes out the front
much
where the road is, it's "just in case". It has an elastic insert in
case
he gets caught up anywhere so he can wriggle out of it.
Most cats that are indoor/outdoor here wear collars.

Just a comment about collars with elastic inserts: during my years as a
fosterer I was given a number of cats with collar injuries to nurse back
to health. These occur when a lost/stray cat wearing a collar with
elasticated insert gets a front leg caught through the collar, and can't
get it back out again. The collar gets tightly caught under the front
'armpit' and rubs away fur and eventually skin, causing a very nasty
wound that is hard to heal due to the location. All of my cats wear
*breakaway* collars and tags, not elasticated collars, for this reason.
If they ever come back without a collar, I am glad because it has done
its job. I keep a small stock of them in as replacements for when this
happens.
Breakaway collar:
http://www.coolcatcollars.co.uk/brea...e-velvet-soft-
cat-collar.html
Elastic insert collar:
http://ru.dhgate.com/product/classic...t-liner-elasti
c/141348999.html

Deb.
--

I bought a breakaway collar for Boyfriend
ages ago. The challenge is to get it on.

Old April 18th 15, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lord Bergamot

Default Neighbors cat is trying to move in

Christina wrote:
"Lord Bergamot" wrote in message

Lord Bergamot wrote:

For several weeks she's been coming in, eating, sleeping,
playing. My cats have accepted her into the pack.

Her owner put a collar on her so I know she's not a stray. She's
a nice cat, about the same age as Hondo. She's getting about the
age to go into heat. I've started locking her out of the house, hoping
she'll go home and stay there. I don't have much hope. She's
staying in the dog house, outside the back door. Every time the
door opens she looks out and meows. I don't need another female
cat who hasn't been fixed, or even another cat.
I've got all the cats I want.
Assuming she is still going home sometimes, have you tried attaching a
note to her collar? Of course, the owner may have abandoned her - my
Patches had been a stray for three years (and freeloading next door,
where they fed their cats outdoors) before he discovered my pet door,
decided I served better vittles, and moved in.

I thought of attaching a note to the collar, only problem is,
the collar was only on her for three days, then went missing.
I'm thinking about buying some collars for her and my cats.
I checked on ebay , but didn't see any listed that were break
away collars. I'll be going to town in a week or so, and see
if I can find one in a store.

Don't bother. She is determined that you are her new home.

Several post gave me a guilt complex for putting her outside and
blocking the cat door, then she went missing for a day. Tonight
she walked in like she'd never been gone, eating and playing with
my cats. She snagged a lanyard around her neck I use on my cell
phone and went running through the house dragging the phone
like wolves were after her.

I'm still going to try and find out who she belongs to and hope she
keeps living there and only visits here.

--
:-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

My God is better than your god!!!!

Old April 18th 15, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Cat Collars (WAS: Neighbors cat is trying to move in)

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 19:34:03 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

You might be surprised how far outdoor cats can go. Even neutered/spayed
cats have been found killed by cars miles away. I don't think Boyfie goes
far, but once he was missing for 8 hours. I nearly went mad, looking for his
body in neighbouring streets but he marched in eventually. Like "what's the
problem? any chance of food?"
You can imagine what I said to him.

That BBC program on the secret life of cats had that interesting study
where they put GPS collars on housecats. They found that neutered males
range quite far, particularly when compared to the girl cats.

I remember the first cat I made a connection with when I was little, was a
cat that could always be found on the open windowsill of her house. She'd
hop down to greet me when I walked past. I'm pretty sure she was a girl.
Old April 18th 15, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

You might be surprised how far outdoor cats can go. Even neutered/spayed
cats have been found killed by cars miles away. I don't think Boyfie goes
far, but once he was missing for 8 hours. I nearly went mad, looking for his
body in neighbouring streets but he marched in eventually. Like "what's the
problem? any chance of food?"
You can imagine what I said to him.

That BBC program on the secret life of cats had that interesting study
where they put GPS collars on housecats. They found that neutered males
range quite far, particularly when compared to the girl cats.

That's the show I was thinking of! Yep, the tracked them and they were
all over the place. People seemed to think their cats didn't roam very
far. Boy were they wrong!

I remember the first cat I made a connection with when I was little, was a
cat that could always be found on the open windowsill of her house. She'd
hop down to greet me when I walked past. I'm pretty sure she was a girl.

Nice

Jill
Old April 18th 15, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 14:21:14 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
On 4/18/2015 2:13 PM, Takayuki wrote:
I remember the first cat I made a connection with when I was little, was a
cat that could always be found on the open windowsill of her house. She'd
hop down to greet me when I walked past. I'm pretty sure she was a girl.

Nice

Here's something I wrote about her, back before I got my first cat, Betty:

One of the first times I met a cat was when I was little, and had to
walk a trail that went past someone's house in order to get to my
favorite watering spot. There was always a cat curled up in the
window of that house, like a dark furry pie that had been set out to
cool.

Whenever I passed a certain spot on the trail, the cat would hop down
from the window, and I would have to stop to be inspected and marked.
At first, it was difficult to figure out what to make of this, and cat
lips felt rough on bare calves (I had to go to the library to figure
out this puzzling behavior). Apparently, this was a Toll Road. I
found that I was also required to give scritches.

On the way back, I had to go through the same procedure again, since I
had undone all the marking by swimming. It's sort of sad to think
that she must have gone to RB years ago.
Old April 18th 15, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 4/18/2015 2:30 PM, Takayuki wrote:
[...]

It's a lovely memory to have, though.

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old April 19th 15, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

[...]

My very first cat I can remember. I was probably 3. I held him in my arms
and his feet dragged on the floor, so I was small He was a black cat. He
was called Tiddly.
What's your earliest memory?

Old April 19th 15, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

[...]

I was in my 30s. I had grown up with a dog, and my husband and I had a
couple of dogs (one at a time) after we were married. Our latest dog, a
beagle named Max, had come from the animal shelter. He did not like to
be confined. He dug under the fence, so my husband dug down and put
concrete along the base of the fence. He still got out, and for a while
we couldn't figure out why. Then one day I was in the kitchen, and
through the window I heard him crying. I went out to see what was the
matter. There was a small tree about 18" from the board fence. There
was a small gap in the fence, maybe 3 or 4 inches wide. Max had his
hind legs braced against the tree and was forcing himself through that
gap. My husband filled the gap, and he started jumping over the fence.

One evening Max had gotten out, as usual. My husband went out in front
to call him, because sometimes Max would come when he did that. That
evening, instead of Max, a small, dirty, orange kitten came running up
to my husband as though he were the one who had been called. My
husband, who had grown up with cats, brought him in and we petted him
and played with him for a while, then put him out again.

The next morning when my husband left for work, he found the kitten
waiting on the front porch. We had been adopted. We had no idea how
the kitten and Max would get along.

The first time the two met, I was sitting on the living room couch with
the kitten on my lap. The kitten was purring. Max came in at the
opposite end of the room, spotted the kitten and walked toward us. The
kitten saw Max. The closer Max got, the louder the kitten purred. When
Max finally reached us, he put his front paws on my knees and started
washing the kitten's ears. The purrs got even louder.

From then on, they both acted as though Max was the kitten' mother.
Nobody was allowed to mess with Max's ears, for instance, but the kitten
could play with them.

Joy

Old April 23rd 15, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I think elastic insert collars are safe, unless you let them get old when
the elastic bit isn't elastic any more.
Boyfie is due for a collar change. I have a breakaway for him but I have to
get another person in to help me do it and they have to find the time.
No way could I do it alone, the moment I start messing with his collar, he
is up and out. I have to hold him down and someone else has to change his
collar. Usually June or Claire, which gives him another reason to not trust
them ever again.
I try and reassure him, that he knows them, and that they wouldn't hurt him,
but it's pointless.

Old April 24th 15, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

My cats are pretty good about the collars which is surprising
considering how terrible they are about letting me cut their claws. I
very rarely do that - only when I get an accidental deep puncture
wound.