freeze dried chicken treats

Old December 18th 04, 07:03 AM
Elizabeth Blake

Default freeze dried chicken treats

A couple of months ago I was ordering a prescription online from
drugstore.com, and checked out their pet supplies. They had a package of
freeze dried chicken treats made by Three Dog Bakery (I think) so I ordered
them. Harriet went insane over them. After her first taste, those treats
were the ONLY thing on her mind from that point on. The package was only 1
ounce, so the treats didn't last too long between Harriet & Stinky. Every
day when I got to work Harriet would follow me to my office and beg for the
treats. Harriet isn't a lap cat, but she was climbing into my lap and
hanging out on my desk, something she had NEVER done before.

Yesterday I got an order in from petfooddirect.com, and I ordered a package
of freeze dried chicken from another company. It's larger, 2.something
ounces, but still not very big. It was also quite expensive, $10.99 before
whatever discount code I had. Harriet is once again a super-obsessive kitty
and won't leave me alone. She follows me everywhere, climbs all over me &
my desk and makes the cutest sounds, hoping she'll get another treat. She
won't eat regular chicken but she loves these treats.

Does anyone know where I can buy a bigger container of these things? I've
never seen them in stores by me so I have to order them online, which
involves extra shipping costs. Harriet & Stinky are only getting two pieces
each a day but even so the little container won't last long. Since the
treats are nothing but chicken, I like giving it to them instead of their
old favorite Purina moist treats.

It's absolutely amazing the effect these things have on Harriet.

--
Liz

Old December 18th 04, 09:28 AM
Prostate Cancer Man

In article . net,
"Elizabeth Blake" wrote:

[...]

Try REI or any place that sells freeze-dried food for campers
Old December 18th 04, 09:46 AM
Ashley

"Prostate Cancer Man" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Elizabeth Blake" wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy a bigger container of these things?
I've
never seen them in stores by me so I have to order them online, which
involves extra shipping costs. Harriet & Stinky are only getting two
pieces
each a day but even so the little container won't last long. Since the
treats are nothing but chicken, I like giving it to them instead of their
old favorite Purina moist treats.

It's absolutely amazing the effect these things have on Harriet.

--
Liz

Try REI or any place that sells freeze-dried food for campers

Or more to the point, why don't you buy some frozen chicken portions, cook
one every day and split it between em? It'd be heaps cheaper. FWIW, my cats
pay a lot of attention whenever I'm having chicken for dinner, because they
know they'll get small bits of it at the end.

Old December 18th 04, 02:07 PM
Sherry

Harriet is once again a super-obsessive kitty
and won't leave me alone. She follows me everywhere, climbs all over me &
my desk and makes the cutest sounds, hoping she'll get another treat. She
won't eat regular chicken but she loves these treats.

Does anyone know where I can buy a bigger container of these things? I've
never seen them in stores by me so I have to order them online, which
involves extra shipping costs. Harriet & Stinky are only getting two pieces
each a day but even so the little container won't last long. Since the
treats are nothing but chicken, I like giving it to them instead of their
old favorite Purina moist treats.

It's absolutely amazing the effect these things have on Harriet.

--
Liz

That sounds a little like Dingo Jerky for dogs. It was long strips of chicken
jerky, kind of brittle. Our cats used to like that too, when I would buy it for
Happy. I used to buy it at Petsmart, about $5 a bag.

Sherry
Old December 18th 04, 08:15 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Prostate Cancer Man" wrote in message news:nowhere-

Try REI or any place that sells freeze-dried food for campers

Hey, they actually do have plain freeze dried chicken! The price is about
the same as what the pet places charge, and they only have 1oz. packages.

--
Liz

Old December 18th 04, 08:17 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Ashley" wrote in message

Or more to the point, why don't you buy some frozen chicken portions, cook
one every day and split it between em? It'd be heaps cheaper. FWIW, my

cats
pay a lot of attention whenever I'm having chicken for dinner, because

they
know they'll get small bits of it at the end.

Because Harriet won't eat regular chicken. Harriet is also a working cat,
along with Stinky, in a bookstore so cooking the chicken every day would be
a pain. My two cats at home love chicken of any kind so they often get
small bits of my dinner.

--
Liz

Old December 18th 04, 08:20 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Sherry " wrote in message

That sounds a little like Dingo Jerky for dogs. It was long strips of

chicken
jerky, kind of brittle. Our cats used to like that too, when I would buy

it for
Happy. I used to buy it at Petsmart, about $5 a bag.

I saw something like that online, but don't remember if it was on the
PetFoodDirect site or someplace else. It looked a lot different than the
freeze dried chicken. Freeze dried looks & feel like bits of styrofoam
packing peanuts. Very lightweight and crunchy, in small pieces. The other
stuff looked like long dry jerky strips. I'll have to order them next time
and see if Harriet would like those. She really likes crunchy stuff. The
only big pet store nearby is Petco and I've never seen any really
interesting treats for cats there. Just rows of Pounce and bags of moist or
crunchy/tartar control treats.

--
Liz

Old December 19th 04, 01:08 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article et, Elizabeth

Try REI or any place that sells freeze-dried food for campers

Hey, they actually do have plain freeze dried chicken! The price is

about
the same as what the pet places charge, and they only have 1oz.

packages.

--
Liz

Is this the same?

http://www.petcarecentral.com/166ozgimchic.html

That's actually the best value I've seen so far. The first package I bought
was only 1 ounce, for something like $4. I thing the container I have at
work now is 2.75 oz. and cost $10.99, but I did have a 25% coupon code that
time. Still, that's $3/ounce.
The treats in that link at 1.66 oz for $3, so it works out best. Hmmmm, if
I'm willing to order $50 worth of the stuff I can get free shipping!
Harriet would definitely want me to do that. My own cats at home have never
even tried these, as I have all deliveries sent to work since I'm not home
during the day. I live in an apartment, so leaving stuff outside my door
isn't really a good option. So, the stuff gets delivered to work and the
treats end up staying there for Stinky & Harriet. So, ordering a lot at one
time may not be a bad idea.

--
Liz