Judging a good cat sitter

Old April 22nd 05, 09:53 PM
in Chicago - North via CatKB.com

Default Judging a good cat sitter

Any suggestions about how to judge whether a cat sitter is good or not?

I've interviewed a few, they seem nice. One does it after work, the other
is full time, plus she has references (but how can you trust those). They
both made cooing noises with cat and seem fine -

I just saw baby-sitters caught slapping kids on baby-cams so I'm a little
paranoid. Is there a national website where they register, or some sort of
licensing committee..

thanks

Old April 22nd 05, 11:11 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"in Chicago - North via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Any suggestions about how to judge whether a cat sitter is good or not?

Mine came along w/ a recommendation from he vets' office; some of the vets
at the practice I go to hire her to looking on their pets for when they're
out of town. Also, reputable pet sitters will be bonded/insured, will want
to come to the house to meet you & pet(s) first, discuss services & charges,
etc., etc. AFAIK, most pet sitters also have ecperience with giving meds,
sub-Qs, etc.

Couldn't hurt to call some to of the references s/he's given you. Plus
check at the vets' office(s) to see what they think of them..

Cathy

Old April 22nd 05, 11:44 PM
Masha

You could ask your vet for a recommendation, the vet nurse at mine looks
after Otis while I'm away as my friends are scared of giving him his
injection. It's costly but I know he's in good hands with her. Also when
she first came over he went straight to her, and he very rarely approaches
people, he's very nervous of strangers. I can tell when I get back that
he's been well cared for, and is always calm and happy to see me.

Marcia

Old April 23rd 05, 01:12 AM
kitkat

in Chicago - North via CatKB.com wrote:
Any suggestions about how to judge whether a cat sitter is good or not?

I've interviewed a few, they seem nice. One does it after work, the other
is full time, plus she has references (but how can you trust those). They
both made cooing noises with cat and seem fine -

I just saw baby-sitters caught slapping kids on baby-cams so I'm a little
paranoid. Is there a national website where they register, or some sort of
licensing committee..

thanks

I only have one thing to say. If you are in the Chicago area...STAY AWAY
FROM "The Pampered Kitty". The Tortured Kitty was more accurate.

:|
Old April 23rd 05, 02:12 PM
Joe Canuck

in Chicago - North via CatKB.com wrote:

Any suggestions about how to judge whether a cat sitter is good or not?

I've interviewed a few, they seem nice. One does it after work, the other
is full time, plus she has references (but how can you trust those). They
both made cooing noises with cat and seem fine -

I just saw baby-sitters caught slapping kids on baby-cams so I'm a little
paranoid. Is there a national website where they register, or some sort of
licensing committee..

thanks

Sometimes recommendations from a vet's office can be good... or bad.

I had a vet recommend a place where I could leave my cat for a couple of
days, so I trusted that recommendation... big mistake. I came back after
two days to discover my cat spent the whole time inside her tiny
carrying cage where the bottom was covered with urine and feces. She was
out of sorts for almost a week after that.

Anyone looking for work isn't going to provide bad references, so the
cat sitter will only provide you with those references that are good.

If at all possible, take your cat with you.

If that isn't possible, consider leaving the cat in your home... alone
if the period will be relatively brief.

After my bad experience I made the decision to leave my cat at home
alone with plenty of food and water available. She was fine, albeit a
little lonely, when I got back... unlike the two days in the carrying
case experience.

It all depends on your situation and your cat. It is always a risk to
leave your pets and/or kids in the care of others... unless the others
happen to be trusted family members.
Old April 23rd 05, 04:51 PM
Joe Canuck

Diane L. Schirf wrote:

In article ,
Joe Canuck wrote:

I had a vet recommend a place where I could leave my cat for a couple of
days, so I trusted that recommendation... big mistake. I came back after
two days to discover my cat spent the whole time inside her tiny
carrying cage where the bottom was covered with urine and feces. She was
out of sorts for almost a week after that.

When my veterinarian was booked and recommended a place, we asked to be
taken to where Pudge was to be boarded. The place was a little off
kilter in appearance (i.e., mom-and-pop operation) but very clean
(amazingly, no smells), and the other cats and dogs being boarded looked
fine. Plus they asked for proof from the veterinarian about health, so I
took that as a good sign.

I think you should always ask to see where they're to be boarded and to
see other cats already being boarded to see how they're being kept.

I did visit the place and it turned out to be clean.

If I had known they were going to use the carry cage as they did, I
would never have left it with them.

That was my mistake.
Old April 25th 05, 02:56 PM
in Chicago - North via CatKB.com

My last cat sitter was very good, but she moved! Joe Canuck's experience
with his cat being left in the cage sounds like a nightmare...They probably
took in too many cats and his got shunted aside.

However, that should not color all boarding facilities - I've never boarded
my cat, don't know how much that costs..Plus, I think it's better for the
cat to stay at home than in some strange facility.

I have left my other cats alone for two days max, but after that it starts
to affect them. Leaving the light/radio on helps a lot, plus the window
open so they can look out.

But I also like people coming/going and taking in mail. Since I've worked
with two different sitters for years on end..it's worth the effort to find
the right one!

Old April 25th 05, 08:18 PM
lal

in Chicago - North via CatKB.com wrote:
Any suggestions about how to judge whether a cat sitter is good or not?

I've interviewed a few, they seem nice. One does it after work, the other
is full time, plus she has references (but how can you trust those). They
both made cooing noises with cat and seem fine -

I just saw baby-sitters caught slapping kids on baby-cams so I'm a little
paranoid. Is there a national website where they register, or some sort of
licensing committee..

thanks

National Association of Professional Petsitters
http://www.petsitters.org/
The company I work for (Homesitters of Raleigh) is a member of this
organization and the owner is even the president. Check it out.

lal
Old April 25th 05, 09:28 PM
-L.

in Chicago - North via CatKB.com wrote:
Any suggestions about how to judge whether a cat sitter is good or

not?

I've interviewed a few, they seem nice. One does it after work, the

other
is full time, plus she has references (but how can you trust those).

They
both made cooing noises with cat and seem fine -

I just saw baby-sitters caught slapping kids on baby-cams so I'm a

little
paranoid. Is there a national website where they register, or some

sort of
licensing committee..

thanks

Yes, there is a registry/association, but it doesn't mean much, IMO. I
have a pet sitter who does it full-time. I have had those who do it
part-time in the past, but none have been as good. You also want
someone who is insured.

Word-of-mouth is the best way to get a referral. And check with your
local vet - many times the techs pet-sit on the side. If they have a
vested interest in doing a good job (i.e. you know them through where
they work) usually they will.

Good luck,
-L.

Old April 28th 05, 08:03 PM
Brian Beuchaw

Cathy Friedmann wrote:

"in Chicago - North via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Any suggestions about how to judge whether a cat sitter is good or not?

Mine came along w/ a recommendation from he vets' office; some of the vets
at the practice I go to hire her to looking on their pets for when they're
out of town. Also, reputable pet sitters will be bonded/insured, will want
to come to the house to meet you & pet(s) first, discuss services & charges,
etc., etc. AFAIK, most pet sitters also have ecperience with giving meds,
sub-Qs, etc.

Couldn't hurt to call some to of the references s/he's given you. Plus
check at the vets' office(s) to see what they think of them..

Good advice here, and I just want to say that word-of-mouth is about the
best way to find a good one (as someone else said). We currently have a
couple of catsitters - one does it full time, the other works for our vet
and does it part-time. Ask your former catsitters who they could
recommend - that's how we found our current ones. BTW, we're in Downers
Grove, so I could probably give you the numbers of ours and you might be
able to ask them if they know of anybody in the city (I think they both do
jobs in the west burbs, but not much closer or in Chicago proper).

brian
--
If you want to reply to this message by mail, you will
have to change the reply address to