OT. Rant

Old November 20th 04, 11:13 PM
Sherry

Dole bludger = someone who claims social security and has no intention of
trying to find a job or is has a job and is illegally claiming benefits at
the same time

Oh, I get it. We have our share of dole bludgers too. People who claim
disability, yet at the same time work jobs for "cash" so they don't get caught.
It's not fair to the rest of the American public, especially the ones who
*truly do* need disability benefits. Or people who use ACCESS cards (that's a
credit card-thingy that low-income people can use to buy food)...and see them
buying chips, pop, decorated birthday cakes and such. Then load their groceries
up in a late-model SUV monster. Oh, don't get me started.

Sherry

Sherry
Old November 21st 04, 12:00 AM
SUQKRT

In article , "Yowie"
wrote:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
.. .

Sorrry, but it doesn't sound like much of a loss. The sad thing that
I see is that she is exactly what the world is beginning to think of
as a typical American. And it just ain't so.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. The type of people who write
and
endorse that sort of stuff are the ones that get shown on international
television, on international radio, and in many Usenet groups. I struggle
myself to remember the Americans aren't necessarily all like that - I've
learnt that from the Americans here. But most folk around the world don't
read RPCA and don't get to interact with regular Americans like I do. If
the
only time you saw or heard an Australian, for example, they were spouting
of
Aussie-centic stuff of the same ilk, what would you think about Australians
in general?

If you've ever wondered "Why do they hate us?", its because we only see
&
hear Americans who would write that crap (or worse), we never or only rarely
get to see less extremist views (coz it doesn't get ratings!)

You folks need far better PR (as do decent, peaceloving Muslims)

Yowie

I confess that my main thoughts about Australis are not political or cultural.
Its the fact that Australia has produced so many gorgeous men. Yes I'm shallow.

Suz
Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Waiting for inspiration. Please hold while I contemplate my navel.

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old November 21st 04, 12:00 AM
SUQKRT

In article , Kreisleriana
wrote:

The point is that the Bible doesn't even really *have* a consistent
model for marriage, as the God-botherers claim.

That's because it is not a book, but a collection of books by many authors over
hundreds of years.

Old November 21st 04, 02:15 AM
Yowie

"SUQKRT" wrote in message

I confess that my main thoughts about Australis are not political or

cultural.
Its the fact that Australia has produced so many gorgeous men. Yes I'm

shallow.

Yeah! I married one :-)

(YMMV on "gorgeous")

Yowie

---

Old November 21st 04, 08:57 AM
Steve Touchstone

On 20 Nov 2004 23:13:08 GMT, itty (Sherry ) wrote:

Dole bludger = someone who claims social security and has no intention of
trying to find a job or is has a job and is illegally claiming benefits at
the same time

Oh, I get it. We have our share of dole bludgers too. People who claim
disability, yet at the same time work jobs for "cash" so they don't get caught.
It's not fair to the rest of the American public, especially the ones who
*truly do* need disability benefits. Or people who use ACCESS cards (that's a
credit card-thingy that low-income people can use to buy food)...and see them
buying chips, pop, decorated birthday cakes and such. Then load their groceries
up in a late-model SUV monster. Oh, don't get me started.

Recently I was in the checkout line at the supermarket behind a couple
who pulled out an Access card to pay for a few food items. Then the
man pulled out a big wad of cash to pay for a couple cases of beer and
a carton of brand name cigarettes. A little old lady (looked to be in
her 80s) lit into the guy. She pointed out that if he had to smoke he
could probably have paid for those few food items with what he would
save by buying to a cheap brand of cigarettes at a smoke shop.

Note: Here in Oklahoma a smoke shop is store to buy tobacco products
located on Indian owned land. There's a big tax break for the
consumer, since the Indians don't pay the same taxes. A pack of
cigarettes which cost $2.50 at the smoke shop cost over $3 in regular
store.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Rocky (RB)

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old November 21st 04, 11:28 AM

Steve Touchstone wrote:

Recently I was in the checkout line at the supermarket behind a couple
who pulled out an Access card to pay for a few food items. Then the
man pulled out a big wad of cash to pay for a couple cases of beer and
a carton of brand name cigarettes. A little old lady (looked to be in
her 80s) lit into the guy. She pointed out that if he had to smoke he
could probably have paid for those few food items with what he would
save by buying to a cheap brand of cigarettes at a smoke shop.

GRRRR, I hate people who butt into others' lives like that. Why does
she feel the need (or believe she has the right) to lecture a perfect
stranger about his habits and preferences??

My pet peeve, though, are the people who, dripping with self-righteousness,
have to comment on the shopping cart contents of anyone who's a little
fatter than skeletal. "You don't really *need* that, do you dear?" they'll
say, pointing to any high-calorie item. Seriously, there ARE people who
are that rude!

Of course there are people who cheat the system, but the number of people
who do it is grossly exaggerated by people who would prefer we not have
any welfare (our name for "the dole") benefits at all. The way some people
see it, our economy is in ruins because of the hordes of welfare mothers
popping out kids so they can get more money. As though the amount they get
could ever come close to what it costs to feed, clothe and care for a child!
If you want to talk about welfare cheats draining our economy, let's talk
about *corporate* welfare...

Hey, this thread *is* called "Rant."

Joyce