Couple Questions Regarding Canned Food

Old July 30th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

Default Couple Questions Regarding Canned Food

Hi

I have a couple canned food questions.

1:

Is there a reasonably reliable source somewhere on line that
provides an impartial comparison of nutrient levels in the
various brands and flavors? The can listings on some brands
are a bit difficult for me to interpret.

2.

What is a reasonable quantity of canned food to feed an adult
cat. The recommendations on the cans range from one 5 ounce
can per 5 lbs body weight to one can per 9 lbs. If I fed
Bubba one can per 5 lbs Bubba weight he'd be getting 5 cans
or 25 oz/ 1.5 Lbs of food a day which seems like *way* too much.

I'm sure he'd love to eat that much food, but he'd wind up weighing
as much as a real lion instead of a couch lion before long...

He is currently allowing me to feed him a bit of Royal Canin
Maine Coon kibble in addition to a variety of premium canned
foods in order for me to learn his preferences of brands and
flavors. I would like to be able to choose the types that will
provide him good nutrition.

Thanks in Advance

Old July 30th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
[...]

Claude, I am sure you will get some good responses, but if not, please use
Google on this. We have covered this ad nauseum. Monthly.

Old July 30th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
angel

Claude V. Lucas wrote:
Hi

I have a couple canned food questions.

1:

Is there a reasonably reliable source somewhere on line that
provides an impartial comparison of nutrient levels in the
various brands and flavors? The can listings on some brands
are a bit difficult for me to interpret.

2.

What is a reasonable quantity of canned food to feed an adult
cat. The recommendations on the cans range from one 5 ounce
can per 5 lbs body weight to one can per 9 lbs. If I fed
Bubba one can per 5 lbs Bubba weight he'd be getting 5 cans
or 25 oz/ 1.5 Lbs of food a day which seems like *way* too much.

sounds like you're giving the best money can buy, you should find some
assurance in that.. I see that name alot among fancy cat people

second thing.. have you considered free feeding?

just give one can per cat in the morning

after that can is eaten...per cat...

(and mine eat from the same oval broiler plate)...

wait a little while.. till round dinner time.. give them one maybe 2
cans...

keep some kibble out..

meter it.. you don't want the wet food to be down too long.. tastes bad

if you find there is still wet food on the plate when you go back...

just back up on the dose a little...
--

one lady fed her cat with a spoon, her cat was throwing up..
so she fed him little bites.. so he wouldn't throw up..

the cat is full!

let them get hungry, I get hungry sometimes..

who says a cat can't miss a meal

getting hungry has very healthy benefits

the body can work on cleansing, not just digesting

tastebuds can rejuvinate

stomachs can shrink

unless you see skin and bones and faintness... hunger can be healthy

besides.. keep some kibble out..

at a minimum, you know they are not hungry, but simply prefer the wet
food.

Later

Old July 30th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article . com,
angel wrote:

Claude V. Lucas wrote:
Hi

I have a couple canned food questions.

1:

Is there a reasonably reliable source somewhere on line that
provides an impartial comparison of nutrient levels in the
various brands and flavors? The can listings on some brands
are a bit difficult for me to interpret.

2.

What is a reasonable quantity of canned food to feed an adult
cat. The recommendations on the cans range from one 5 ounce
can per 5 lbs body weight to one can per 9 lbs. If I fed
Bubba one can per 5 lbs Bubba weight he'd be getting 5 cans
or 25 oz/ 1.5 Lbs of food a day which seems like *way* too much.

sounds like you're giving the best money can buy, you should find some
assurance in that.. I see that name alot among fancy cat people

second thing.. have you considered free feeding?

To Bubba, "free feeding" would equal 30Lbs before the end of the year.

[...]

I've been putting out a measured ration of kibble in the morning
and giving a half can in the late afternoon and the other half
in the evening. I'm hoping that I can get him down to ~20 Lbs
eventually. I'm not sure more than one can a day is necessary,
but I'm not totally convinced of that. He generally eats the
half can in an hour or so before it has a chance to get nasty.
Old July 30th 06, 11:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy

Claude

My Maine Coon weighs 11 pounds - I think he must be small boned for a
Maine Coon - he isn't thin. I feed him one 3 oz. can of Fancy Feast in
the morning and one can at night. He gets about a tablespoon of Royal
Canin sprinkled on top. This seems to maintain his weight at 11 pounds
and he doesn't beg for food, etc. I have noticed that Maine Coons will
eat just as much as you will give them. Which is why most of them are
over weight. They do seems to put on weight fast! He is an inside cat
but we do play a lot and he runs up and down the basement stairs, etc.

Old July 30th 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article . com,
Buddy wrote:
Claude

My Maine Coon weighs 11 pounds - I think he must be small boned for a
Maine Coon - he isn't thin. I feed him one 3 oz. can of Fancy Feast in
the morning and one can at night. He gets about a tablespoon of Royal
Canin sprinkled on top. This seems to maintain his weight at 11 pounds
and he doesn't beg for food, etc. I have noticed that Maine Coons will
eat just as much as you will give them. Which is why most of them are
over weight. They do seems to put on weight fast! He is an inside cat
but we do play a lot and he runs up and down the basement stairs, etc.

Bubba's big.

He weighed 22 lbs a year ago and he's pushing 25 after a year on
roughly 10% less than the recommended daily ration of Royal Canin MC
His feet will cover a metal dollar and he's ~32" from nose to the end
of his tail. He refuses to go outside and I try to play with him for
a bit every day to get him some exercise but he's fairly sedate.

He's not quite obese, but I can't feel his ribs either so I don't want
to overfeed him. 3 or 5 5 oz cans seems like a bit much...

Old July 30th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy

I think you are correct. Three 5 oz. cans is too much. And then there
is the theory about eating less quality food gives more waste, etc. My
cat maintains on 6 oz. a day. Since yours is bigger, why don't you try
one 5 oz. can a day [half in the morning and half at night] and see if
you can get him to lose weight. Or witch to Fancy Feast and give one
can twice a day. I wouldn't give too much of the Royal Canin - I only
use 1 tablespoon a day. I swear these Maine Coons gain weight easier
than a middle age woman! They just look at food and put on the lbs.!!!

Old July 30th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Tiger (Maine Coon?) used to look fat until he was shaved three weeks
ago. Now he looks normal. He and Amber share a 5.5 ounce can of
Wellness chicken about 5;30 AM and another about 5 PM. (I say share but
Tiger (the hog) eats about two thirds of it because Amber likes to eat
in small segments). They both get a small handful of dry at Noon (if
I'm home) and again at bedtime.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old July 30th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article .com,
Buddy wrote:
I think you are correct. Three 5 oz. cans is too much. And then there
is the theory about eating less quality food gives more waste, etc. My
cat maintains on 6 oz. a day. Since yours is bigger, why don't you try
one 5 oz. can a day [half in the morning and half at night] and see if
you can get him to lose weight. Or witch to Fancy Feast and give one
can twice a day. I wouldn't give too much of the Royal Canin - I only
use 1 tablespoon a day. I swear these Maine Coons gain weight easier
than a middle age woman! They just look at food and put on the lbs.!!!

I've been giving him one 5 oz can of the good quality split into two
portions, afternoon and evening. I'm trying to find out which brands
and flavors he likes. I'll post a report when we've tried a few.

I need to search out an impartial nutritional comparison so I can
not bother with the bad stuff. I know to avoid ones with grains and
byproducts as the main ingredients, but I haven't been able to find
a semi-simple chart that compares the actual nutritional components.

Old July 30th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
---MIKE--- wrote:
Tiger (Maine Coon?) used to look fat until he was shaved three weeks
ago. Now he looks normal. He and Amber share a 5.5 ounce can of
Wellness chicken about 5;30 AM and another about 5 PM. (I say share but
Tiger (the hog) eats about two thirds of it because Amber likes to eat
in small segments). They both get a small handful of dry at Noon (if
I'm home) and again at bedtime.

Bubba would probably look more slender without the hair, but he's still big.