Cat not eating....

Old December 20th 03, 02:38 PM
H. Howard

Default Cat not eating....

Just thought I would ask some advice... cant seem to find a vet open this
weekend (Its Saturday) and my boy cat, about 5 months old, hasnt eaten in 2
or 3 days and seems to have trouble going to the bathroom (he goes outside
so not sure exactly if he has gone as he slips out quietly). I am getting
quite worried although he doesnt seem too miserable otherwise...sleeps alot
but also purrs and plays a little. But he refuses to drink or eat. Any
advice....could he just be constipated or a tummy ache? He is kind of young
for crystals forming in urinary tract isnt he? He does lick down there more
often than usual so perhaps it is irritated or blocked. Any advice would be
appreciated as I cant get to a vet until Monday!!!

-Helen in Sweden

Old December 20th 03, 02:55 PM
H. Howard

Ive called about 4 vet offices I have found online and they are all
closed.....I am living in rural Sweden so things arent very accessible here,
and I dont speak the language but still trying to find something....

Is there *no* vet that you can get him into? If this is blockage, he
could be dead by Monday.

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Old December 20th 03, 04:00 PM
H. Howard

He doesnt seem dehydrated and in fact seems sort of normal except for not
wanting his food or water...he has had some milk today and goes out every
few hours to use the toilet but not sure if anything is coming out (he stops
when I look!). I am trying to give him stuff to lick so he wont be too
thirsty or starved.... but highly frustrating when everything seems to be
shut down around here... thanks for the replies...

Good luck. I hope it turns out to be nothing, but if it's a blockage,
time really is of the essence. Is the kitty dehydrated? Have you seen
him even trying to urinate?

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Old December 20th 03, 04:18 PM
H. Howard

He just drinks a bit of milk every few hours....but doesnt want any food and
ive tried all his faves...

If i could find a vet that was open weekends, i would be there now!

Is there no way you can get him to another vet any sooner?
purring is not always a good sign, cats purr to comfort themselves when in
pain too etc. Is he eating? drinking?

Old December 20th 03, 04:24 PM
Cathy Friedmann

Is there perhaps a friend or neighbor who (speaks Swedish) could call for
you, to describe the problems? I have no idea about in Sweden, but here,
vets have people on call during closed office hours to handle emergencies.
IOW, if were to call the vet's while they're normally closed, an answering
service would give the on-call vet my name, ph. number, & short description
of the problem, then the vet would call me back in short order & set up an
emergency appt. if s/he thought it wise.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old December 20th 03, 04:35 PM
H. Howard

Well the numbers I called didnt seem to have a 24 hour number...one number
gave another number which I called (I know a tiny bit of swedish) but that
was a dead end, most others say they are back in on Monday.... seems crazy I
know but thats Sweden (closed on weekends!)...so need to know any treatment
i can do for the cat myself.