Pua Update

Old September 3rd 05, 04:01 PM
kilikini

Default Pua Update

Well, I just got back from the vet and using ultraviolet light it's
confirmed that Pua has ringworm on her face and on her belly. Sigh. They
gave me liquid Program® for her to ingest and a shampoo that I can't use on
her until next week. ($16 a bottle, yikes!) This is all fine and good, but
I still have to keep her isolated during the entire coarse of her treatment.

They also told me that the spores are microscopic and airborne; they move
with any breeze. Most likely my other two cats will be infected with me
going in and out of that room and no amount of scrubbing in that room will
remove all the spores for at least 6 months. Another negative is that even
if the symptoms are gone on Pua, she may be a carrier for ringworm; which in
that case putting her with my other two cats will definitely infect them
anyway.

I didn't know it was such a stickler. I hate to have an outdoor cat, but I
may just choose this course of action. I don't know.

Anyone else have solid, good experience with ringworm in a multi cat
household?

kili

Old September 3rd 05, 04:30 PM
Ted Davis

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:01:52 GMT, "kilikini"
wrote:

[...]

I had an epidemic last summer - five of the twelve cats got it to some
degree.

My vet is unusually cost conscious - I don't see how he stays in
business being that way - and he told me I could use the human grade
ringworm and athlete's foot creams. One brand (Lamisil AT -
terbinafine hydrocloride cream 1%) is a once a day for one week
treatment that worked like a charm with no detectable side effects.

Disclaimer: that is a report of what I did, not medical advice - I
always check with my vet before doing anything like that.

--
T.E.D. )
Old September 3rd 05, 04:30 PM
Trish

"kilikini" wrote in message
[...]

That's right, let's banish a sick cat to the outdoors, geeesh!

Old September 3rd 05, 04:44 PM
Helen Miles

"kilikini" wrote in message

Anyone else have solid, good experience with ringworm in a multi cat
household?

kili

Yes. When HRFL had ringworm, my vet told me to buy a tube of Canesten
Anti fungal cream and use it on his face, and my hands after handling
him. It helped prevent the spred of spores. He only tried to lick it off
once, but it tasted so foul that he gave up! Obviously you don't want to
smother her in it, but a thin covering across the worst sores will help
kill it off.

Helen M

Old September 3rd 05, 05:04 PM
Pat

A healthy cat with a strong immune system will not develop ringworm sores
despite exposure to them. So in addition to whatever external treatments you
choose to do, just keep feeding her the best catfood you can afford, and
give her the love and attention she needs to be happy, and she will get well
quickly.

Old September 3rd 05, 05:17 PM
kilikini

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:056bfb7c3cc7bd1698839adb7232ddae.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
"kilikini" wrote in message

Anyone else have solid, good experience with ringworm in a multi cat
household?

kili

Yes. When HRFL had ringworm, my vet told me to buy a tube of Canesten
Anti fungal cream and use it on his face, and my hands after handling
him. It helped prevent the spred of spores. He only tried to lick it off
once, but it tasted so foul that he gave up! Obviously you don't want to
smother her in it, but a thin covering across the worst sores will help
kill it off.

Helen M

Thanks, Helen! I'll try this!

kili

Old September 3rd 05, 05:18 PM
kilikini

"Trish" wrote in message
. ..

"kilikini" wrote in message
[...]

No, I don't want to do that, I want to help her. That's why I'm asking for
advice, here. The vet just scared me silly!

kili

Old September 3rd 05, 08:41 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Trish wrote:

That's right, let's banish a sick cat to the outdoors, geeesh!

SFAIK, a cat with ringworm is not exactly "sick", and many
cats PREFER to be outdoors (so long as they have access to
warmth and shelter, along with food and water). Either you
don't know much about cats, or you simply enjoy being
obstructive and unpleasant. (Too bad there are other, more
civl, posters here also named "Trish" - when I tried to
kill-file YOU, I eliminated THEM, too.)

Old September 3rd 05, 08:51 PM
Dan and Nancy Mahoney

I didn't know it was such a stickler. I hate to have an outdoor cat,

but I

may just choose this course of action. I don't know.

Anyone else have solid, good experience with ringworm in a multi cat
household?

kili

That's right, let's banish a sick cat to the outdoors, geeesh!

So she's not allowed to ask for help? How considerate of you.

Sheesh, ANOTHER entry to my killfile. I'm sure glad there's no practical
limit to the size.
Old September 3rd 05, 09:23 PM
Adrian

kilikini wrote:
"Trish" wrote in message

No, I don't want to do that, I want to help her. That's why I'm
asking for advice, here. The vet just scared me silly!

kili

Don't take any notice of Trish, she's a troll, killfile her as most
others have done.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

OneTrueHome update Harri Cat community 8 November 27th 04 01:03 AM
ANOTHER UPDATE UPDATE Tomorrow Adrian Cat anecdotes 2 August 6th 04 07:27 PM
Latest Crackles Update (appt moved up) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 2 July 12th 04 01:37 PM
Nice Update on B5's creator, J.Michael Straczynski & Buddy the cat Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 8 January 19th 04 11:01 AM
Natasha Update Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 14 August 22nd 03 06:30 PM