OT Scream awards 2006

Old October 12th 06, 10:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Default OT Scream awards 2006

gracecat wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
.. .

"kilikini" wrote

Believe it or not, you can haggle with the cable people! I got our
bill down to $104 and that includes, HBO, Showtime, On Demand,
Internet and phone. The bill used to be $139. Get the deals; beg
for them. You'll get
them.

$104/month is a "deal" ??? Geez, an extra $104/month would go an
awfully long way in this household. I hardly ever turn on the TV.

That does sound high, but $60 of that could be contributed towards
telecommunication. Consider a $30-40 dollar phone bill plus a $20
dial-up 'net service... and high speed is even more so it does work
out to be quite feasible.

Grace

Exactly, Grace. Without cable we get 3 channels here PBS, NBC and, what is
it, CBS maybe? I never watch those channels and since I'm home all day, I
like to have the TV on. We had RoadRunner cable internet already, so we
tacked on the cable package. Then, I realized that I needed a phone, so we
got the broadband phone line. We looked at our bill and went, "DANG!" I
talked them down about $40 and the price hasn't changed in the past year.
We're happy.

kili

Old October 12th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I don't pay for cable TV because I have no interest in
what is offered. IF I could pick and choose, I'd select
the History channel and probably a couple of others

Wouldn't that be great? Cafeteria-style cable tv!

Yes, it would be fantastic!

Why do I
have to pay for 3 or 4 sports channels that I never watch,
and all those boring shopping networks, not to mention
downright repugnant stations like Fox News - bleccch. It
would be great to channel surf without having to see Bill
O'Reilly's ugly mug even for 2 seconds. Just charge a
few dollars per channel and people can pick and chose their
own lineup. Cable TV as dim sum ordering.

I'd love it! They'd have my vote and my order!

Here's a funny story - back in 1980 I'd called to a few days before to order
cable. So the phone rings, it was 11 o'clock at night and I was sick as can
be, couldn't even move without feeling like I was going to hurl. In fact I
had to crawl down the hallway to get to my bed. Here's this woman on the
phone from cablevision - hello? Can I come by and install your cable now?
HUH? What are you, nuts? It's 11PM and I'm sick, so no, I don't think so!

Oh, it will only take a minute, I just need you to sign this paper. Excuse
me, what part of it's 11PM and I'm sick and NO didn't you understand? She
persisted. I immediately told her to CANCEL the order for cable. Sheesh.
When my brother and I were roommates we had cable but once he moved out I
cancelled it. Not interested.

BTW, to Matthew, I can see Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis on regular TV late
nights on weekends... I don't have to pay a premium for it Not that it's
very interesting but it's the only thing on at 2AM LOL I'm more interested
in seeing the old B/W Perry Mason episodes.

Jill

Old October 12th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:
wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I can't believe they called you at 11 p.m.!! That's just rude. I wish
we got more decent local channels besides ABC, CBS, NBC network stuff.
I do like satellite TV, but I admit that in a budget crunch, it would
be the *first* thing to go. I'd much rather keep my internet if I had
to choose.

Sherry

Old October 12th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

In ,
jmcquown purred:
snippage

I'm more interested in seeing the old B/W Perry Mason episodes.

OMG - I used to watch that all the time. Got hooked on it as my *dad* was
hooked on it (and didn't Raymond have the *dreamiest* eyes?!?! But I always
like Paul Drake better ), but after seeing every episode umpteen million
times - including the new TV-movies (useless trivia bit: "Paul Drake Jr" in
the new TV movies was William Katt, son of "Kit Carson" actor Bill Williams
and Barbara Hale {aka Della Street}) and the only of the original series
where Perry 'lost' (I believe there was a retrial at the end, and he won
that) - I quit watching it. Maybe someday buy them on DVD....

Old October 12th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I couldn't believe it, either. It was beyond rude, and she was PUSHY about
it, too! Hello, I'm asleep *and* I'm sick. What part didn't she
understand?! Are cable installers paid on commission? I didn't understand
it then and I sure don't understand it now.

Old October 12th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

In ,
jmcquown purred:
wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

We have cable, for internet only (not even hooked up to a TV), and one
afternoon, a Cable guy (not named Larry ) stopped by the house, and
informed us, that for the past several years, there actually had been no
filters on the cable coming into the house! Had we had it hooked to a TV,
we would have had it for FREE. We told him to go ahead & add the necessary
filters, so long as our internet connection would still work. It does.

*MANY* years ago, I shared an apartment with some co-workers. we had cable
TV (full-blown, all the premium channels), but *never* received a cable
bill. When we went our separate ways & I got my own apartment, I asked the
lady at the cable company (when I went to go have it added to my new apt)
what would be the reason. She shrugged her shoulders non-shalantly, and
stated that sometimes the workers get lazy and don't disconnect it when they
should, but mark it that they did on the paperwork. She said that's common
here (this is a college town, with students moving every couple of months),

Nowadays, with things much more computerized, I would assume that this is no
longer possible.

Old October 13th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Matthew wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
cable channel
Sorry
"Pat" wrote in message
.. .

Wasn't pointing fingers at you, Matthew, just agreeing with Pat. I
don't pay for cable TV because I have no interest in what is offered.
IF I could pick and choose, I'd select the History channel and
probably a couple of others but for the most part it's not worth the
$$ per month. Glad you find it amusing. Sci-fi doesn't interest me,
nor does South Park. I really don't care who killed Kenny. I gather
I'm a bit older than you are

Jill

If you like the History Channel, you'd probably also like the National
Geographic Channel. Oh, and Animal Planet, of course. :~) But then
again, 3 channels aren't worth the $35 a month it costs. I have
cable because I watch CNN, The Weather Channel, a 24 hour local news
station, Lifetime, NGC, Discovery, Science, Animal Planet, Comedy
Central (I love the Stephen Colbert Report) and FX. We have HBO and
Showtime for free, so I watch those, too.

kili

I'm sure I'd like National Geo... but the fact is I can't afford to pay for
cable TV so I don't. I have my phone service bundled with DSL and my cell
phone. And the only reason I have a cell phone is because when I travel my
parents need to be able to reach me. I've gotten along all these years
without cable (or a cell phone)... it's no biggie, really I like to read
so that's what I do. I re-read books but every once in a while I buy a new
one. And John always makes sure I have books for our trips since I spend a
lot of time in airports.

OB Cats: Persia is huffing at me for reasons I don't understand. She's
been fed, she has a clean litterbox and a clean kitty fountain. And we took
a nice nap together this afternoon, so why is she making this noise?
Hmmmmm? Is she jealous because I gave Peaches a carrot?

Jill

Old October 13th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"jmcquown" wrote in message
kilikini wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Matthew wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
cable channel
Sorry
"Pat" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

And you forgot her Bad cat slave now go get her a treat something
healthy

Old October 13th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

OB Cats: Persia is huffing at me for reasons I don't understand.
She's been fed, she has a clean litterbox and a clean kitty
fountain. And we took
a nice nap together this afternoon, so why is she making this noise?
Hmmmmm? Is she jealous because I gave Peaches a carrot?

Jill

And you forgot her Bad cat slave now go get her a treat
something healthy

Unfortunately she's on a prescription diet and I asked the vet but he said
there aren't any commercial cat treats she can eat... she does, however,
catch the occasional cricket Nothing I can do about that!

Jill