cat fighting! help!

Old February 12th 04, 06:34 PM
Danathar

Default cat fighting! help!

Any help would be appreciated.

About 4 months ago (Thanksgiving) I got a 2 year old pound kitty
(Marigold) that was fairly shy. We already had/have a 13 year old
(Whiskers). They seem to be ok with one another at first (with the
occasional hissing from the older cat at the younger) and everything
seemed to be ok.

Lately it seems Marigold one has gotten some backbone. After Whiskers
hisses at her, the Marigold one runs up to Whiskers cat and basically
tries to hit her across the face with her paw outstretched. Whiskers
was sitting on my lap while I was watching TV and Marigold came up
three times to try and "smack" Whiskers. It does not look like her
claws are extended, but it definitely looks like "payback".

I feel bad for our older cat. She is older and has stopped playing
since we got the newer cat. She just can't seem to do anything other
than hiss Marigold. Should I be concerned? I really don't want to get
rid of Marigold. She was a pound kitty and I like her, but poor
whiskers does not deserve this (or maybe she does with the hissing). I
think Marigold would be nice if whiskers did not hiss at her all the
time. Marigold has attempted over and over to make overtures to
Whiskers but is always met with a hiss or growl.

sigh...HELP!

Distressed Cat owner!
-Doug
Old February 12th 04, 08:24 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

I feel bad for our older cat. She is older and has stopped playing
since we got the newer cat. She just can't seem to do anything other
than hiss Marigold. Should I be concerned? I really don't want to get
rid of Marigold. She was a pound kitty and I like her, but poor
whiskers does not deserve this (or maybe she does with the hissing). I
think Marigold would be nice if whiskers did not hiss at her all the
time. Marigold has attempted over and over to make overtures to
Whiskers but is always met with a hiss or growl.

sigh...HELP!

Take heart. The situation is actually not too bad. If all that happens
is a little batting and hissing with no injuries or fights, you're doing
better than a lot of the people who come here for advice on this.

My advice, FWIW: Give them some "alone time". For some time each day,
Marigold goes in the other room with the door closed and Whiskers gets
your undivided attention for play, laptime, grooming, or whatever. Then,
for another time, Marigold gets the same time with you, no competition.
Any time EITHER cat initiates a "hissy fit" - whoever "started it", so
to speak - the instigator gets put in another room for a time out.
Immediately, so they can connect the behavior with the consequence. A
firm 'NO' as the hissing occurs can add to the correction. Say NO
firmly, but not loudly, and (go) get the kitty and put them in the other
room for 5-10 minutes. The consequence of being a brat (hissing/batting)
is that you take your attention away.

Don't forget to praise good behavior! Treats and extra pets for Whiskers
for NOT hissing can give added incentive to "be nice".

If it makes you feel better, it took almost a year for my new addition
(Jeffrey) to be fully accepted by my Rowan. Time outs were very helpful.
They still are, actually, when Rowan decides to be a brat. *LOL*

~kaeli~
Kill one man and you are a murderer. Kill millions and you
are a conqueror. Kill everyone and you are God.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old February 12th 04, 08:24 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old February 12th 04, 08:45 PM
Karen

My advice, FWIW: Give them some "alone time". For some time each day,
Marigold goes in the other room with the door closed and Whiskers gets
your undivided attention for play, laptime, grooming, or whatever. Then,
for another time, Marigold gets the same time with you, no competition.
Any time EITHER cat initiates a "hissy fit" - whoever "started it", so
to speak - the instigator gets put in another room for a time out.

THis is exactly what I do. My newest cat, while more agressive in some ways,
will not play if the other two are playing (she seems to think it will draw
chase - though it won't, but if my other girl starts running around the new
girl *will* chase her, so she thinks it is the same the other way). So, at
night for at least i will try playing with all three for a few minutes, then
I put Grant and Sugar in the bedroom and play with Pearl so she will run
around a bit, which with the other out, she willingly does. Sometimes, I put
Pearl in the bedroom for a while so that the other cats can chase around a
bit. It seems to make them all much happier.

Karen

Old February 12th 04, 08:53 PM
al

"Danathar" wrote in message
om...
| Any help would be appreciated.

Well, when you put it that way.

And my solution also comes from THANKSGIVING. What a coincidence.

I went to some friends. I took a laser pointer along, mostly by
accident. Had been playing with my cat. Nope, I took it along
to play with their cats if I saw them.

They were really, REALLY enthusiastic about the laser pointer.

WHY?

It solved the problem of their older cat getting along with
the new kitten. JUST LIKE YOU.

Both cats actually chased the pointer together. So this was
togetherness, if you will.

Just had to pass this along. Will it help? I don't know.

I do know the little laser pointers with the buttons are a big
pain. The buttons are more expensive usually than AAA's
and harder to buy.

I found AAA pointers at Best Buy for $14, good deal. Nice and
bright.
Try not to shine it in the eyes. Humans have a blink response
and not sure about cats. They also avoid direct exposure.
But the pointers you buy here in USA, if that is where you are,
will have a DANGER thingee on them. So don't shine them in
anybody's eyes, as a matter of course.

Old February 12th 04, 08:53 PM
al

om...

Old February 12th 04, 11:45 PM
minerva nine

OK, this may sound insane, but bear with me. I was in the *exact* same
position -- have an older cat, got a younger cat, younger cat was wearing out
older cat with his antics. By chance I happened to take in another young-ish
cat, and.... problem solved! The two youngsters now keep eachother entertained,
and old girl is left alone. It's not much harder taking care of three than two,
and now when old girl passes on, the two youngsters will still have eachother as
pals.

M9

om...

Old February 13th 04, 01:40 AM
Danathar

"al" wrote in message ...
"Danathar" wrote in message
om...
| Any help would be appreciated.

Well, when you put it that way.

And my solution also comes from THANKSGIVING. What a coincidence.

I went to some friends. I took a laser pointer along, mostly by
accident. Had been playing with my cat. Nope, I took it along
to play with their cats if I saw them.

They were really, REALLY enthusiastic about the laser pointer.

WHY?

It solved the problem of their older cat getting along with
the new kitten. JUST LIKE YOU.

Both cats actually chased the pointer together. So this was
togetherness, if you will.

Just had to pass this along. Will it help? I don't know.

I do know the little laser pointers with the buttons are a big
pain. The buttons are more expensive usually than AAA's
and harder to buy.

I found AAA pointers at Best Buy for $14, good deal. Nice and
bright.
Try not to shine it in the eyes. Humans have a blink response
and not sure about cats. They also avoid direct exposure.
But the pointers you buy here in USA, if that is where you are,
will have a DANGER thingee on them. So don't shine them in
anybody's eyes, as a matter of course.

| I feel bad for our older cat. She is older and has stopped
playing
| since we got the newer cat. She just can't seem to do anything
other
| than hiss Marigold. Should I be concerned? I really don't want
to get
| rid of Marigold. She was a pound kitty and I like her, but poor
| whiskers does not deserve this (or maybe she does with the
hissing). I
| think Marigold would be nice if whiskers did not hiss at her
all the
| time. Marigold has attempted over and over to make overtures to
| Whiskers but is always met with a hiss or growl.
|
| sigh...HELP!
|
| Distressed Cat owner!
| -Doug

Thanks! I actually DO have a laser pointer. Whiskers used to play with
it, but since Marigold starting playing with it she just kind of looks
at it and does'nt do anything (Wierd).

-Doug