Rabies law for strays

Old May 27th 05, 09:31 PM
KellyH

Default Rabies law for strays

I know the laws are different for every state, but I was wondering if anyone
else involved in sheltering/rescue has heard of such a thing.
It has come to our attention that in NH, we are supposed to hold a stray cat
or dog for 10 days before giving a rabies vaccine and adopting out to the
public. I went over and over the law and really could not find anything
specific, so I have asked that the shelter speak to someone in authority
with the state before we make radical changes. As you can imagine, this
will impact the way we do things dramatically. Most of our animals are
strays. We are scheduled to have a meeting on the matter.
I'm just curious if other states have such a rule. If they did, how would
any cat especially ever make it to adoption in highly populated areas? Some
large municipal shelters only give a cat a few days before they euthanize, I
can't see them holding a cat for 10 days.

--
-Kelly

Old May 27th 05, 10:12 PM

KellyH wrote:
[...]

Kelly, I looked at the state law & city ordinance and can't find
anything that could be interpreted as such. The only thing I could find
was WRT animals who have bitten or scratched someone, then the rabies
quarantine law kicks in.
If there IS a state or city ordinance, it's not being followed here.
The municipal pound euth's after 72 hours. They don't even vaccinate
for rabies--they take a deposit or something and it's the new owner's
responsibility to have it done and bring them proof of vax to get a
city license.
We keep dogs/cats quarantined for 10 days before making them available
for adoption anyway, for observation of any illness or aggression. But
we are privately funded and not a part of the city's shelter.

Sherry

Old May 28th 05, 02:01 AM
Steve Crane

KellyH wrote:
[...]

That doesn't make a lot of sense. The 10 day period reflects quarantine
requirements for biter animals. This period of time applies to domestic
dogs and cats only. Wild animals cannot be handled in the same manner,
as the incubation period is quite different. The purpose of the ten day
period has always been because a rabies infected animal can only
transmit the disease in the last 4-5 days of it's life, before dying
itself of the disease. Thus if the biter animal is still alive ten full
days after thebite ocurred it is impossible for the animal to have
transmitted the disease to the person bitten. This procedure cannot be
used in foxes, bats, racoons, or other wild animals as the period of
disease transmission is considerably different.

Old May 28th 05, 02:07 AM
KellyH

"Steve Crane" wrote
That doesn't make a lot of sense. The 10 day period reflects quarantine
requirements for biter animals. This period of time applies to domestic
dogs and cats only. Wild animals cannot be handled in the same manner,
as the incubation period is quite different. The purpose of the ten day
period has always been because a rabies infected animal can only
transmit the disease in the last 4-5 days of it's life, before dying
itself of the disease. Thus if the biter animal is still alive ten full
days after thebite ocurred it is impossible for the animal to have
transmitted the disease to the person bitten. This procedure cannot be
used in foxes, bats, racoons, or other wild animals as the period of
disease transmission is considerably different.

That's what I thought, that the 10 days applies if the cat/dog has bitten a
person, and that is what our shelter has been doing. I really think this is
a matter of some people interpreting the law incorrectly.
--
-Kelly