Pope John Paul II

Old April 1st 05, 07:29 PM
Kreisleriana

Default Pope John Paul II

Just saw on AP that the Pope has passed away.

Theresa
Old April 1st 05, 08:48 PM
Julie Cook

33 minutes ago (2:10 EST -5 hrs GMT) the Vatican was denying reports of
the Pope's death. I think, however, it is just a matter of time.

Julie

Old April 1st 05, 08:50 PM
Karen

Now they say the Vatican is denying this.

Old April 1st 05, 09:15 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:48:23 -0500, Julie Cook
yodeled:

33 minutes ago (2:10 EST -5 hrs GMT) the Vatican was denying reports of
the Pope's death. I think, however, it is just a matter of time.

Julie

Yes, I have heard the correction, too. Sorry for jumping the gun. As
of 3:00 PM, I am still hearing reports from the death watch.

Theresa
Old April 1st 05, 09:29 PM
Gabey8

[[33 minutes ago (2:10 EST -5 hrs GMT) the Vatican was denying reports of

the Pope's death. I think, however, it is just a matter of time.

Julie

Yes, I have heard the correction, too. Sorry for jumping the gun. As
of 3:00 PM, I am still hearing reports from the death watch. ]]

Don't worry -- I saw the same reports. Shame on whatever news agencies are
reporting these things without having the information confirmed first.
Double shame on them for not getting their facts straight, KNOWING how
many millions of people are awaiting information regarding the state of
the Pontiff's health.

Unfortunately, given the most recent medical bulletins coming from the
Vatican, describing the Pope's condition, it's likely that his passing is
imminent. They said his breathing is shallow, his pulse and blood pressure
are unstable, and he is experiencing heart and kidney problems.

I'm certainly no doctor, but it sounds to me as though his body is
shutting down. He was even described as "fading serenely" earlier today.
It sounds, from the press releases, as though he understands and accepts
the fact that his passing is near.

If that's the case, and it sounds like it is, then may his passing be a
peaceful and painless one. And if he has already gone, by the time I type
these words, then may he rest in peace.

Donna

Old April 1st 05, 10:12 PM
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
Just saw on AP that the Pope has passed away.

Theresa

Surely not someone's idea of an April Fool's joke?

Jill

Old April 1st 05, 10:22 PM
Shiral

Maybe somebody thought they were being funny, but it wasn't a joke in
good taste. Tsk, tsk. Or perhaps it was sheer carelessness.

He has been in failing health pretty much all this spring. I did hear
he had been given Last Rites as of yesterday. There's probably already
a lot of political wrangling going on among those who would like to be
the next Pope.

Melissa

Old April 1st 05, 10:39 PM
Karen

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
Kreisleriana wrote:
Just saw on AP that the Pope has passed away.

Theresa

Surely not someone's idea of an April Fool's joke?

Jill

No. Just "trying to break news first" syndrome.

Old April 2nd 05, 12:01 AM
Yowie

"Shiral" wrote in message
oups.com...
Maybe somebody thought they were being funny, but it wasn't a joke in
good taste. Tsk, tsk. Or perhaps it was sheer carelessness.

He has been in failing health pretty much all this spring. I did hear
he had been given Last Rites as of yesterday. There's probably already
a lot of political wrangling going on among those who would like to be
the next Pope.

Joel and I had a half-written game for a role-playing convention based on
the political wrangling that goes on to select the next pope.

Unfortunately, it now seems in horribly bad taste.

It could be adapted to another sort of power, like a king or something like
that, but even so, that means hundreds of hours of research on the history
of the papacy can no longer be used. Still, its not so bad as the history of
the Papacy is fascinating and is worth studying just by itself.

I'm not Catholic, but I think I'll be a bit sad when the current Pope dies.
Since Joel, who is Catholic, insisted we got The Yowlet baptised into the
Catholic church, I"ve been more interested. I've come to respect the man who
has tried to struggle on to serve his organisation whilst so obviously sick.
I may not agree with some of his beliefs, but I've come to admire his
courage and strength of conviction.

Yowie

Old April 2nd 05, 12:33 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "Yowie"
wrote:

I'm not Catholic, but I think I'll be a bit sad when the current Pope
dies.
Since Joel, who is Catholic, insisted we got The Yowlet baptised into the
Catholic church, I"ve been more interested. I've come to respect the man
who
has tried to struggle on to serve his organisation whilst so obviously
sick.
I may not agree with some of his beliefs, but I've come to admire his
courage and strength of conviction.

I have to agree with you in both respects: not agreeing with many of his
positions, and greatly respecting that he seems to be staying focused as
long as possible. There are warrior cultures that say of someone "he
died well." That seems to be the case here.

OT/ Paul Newman's Cat Food? Slimpickins Cat health & behaviour 12 February 19th 05 07:06 PM
Meghan.. give me a call.. still a problem cat in St. Paul (was: cat introduction) Brian Link Cat health & behaviour 0 January 2nd 05 07:02 AM
Purrs for John jmcquown Cat anecdotes 69 September 30th 04 01:40 PM
Extra! Man bites dog! Cat saved! Pants ruined! Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 8 February 25th 04 03:37 AM
To John Biltz re Vegas JBHajos Cat anecdotes 11 October 31st 03 03:18 PM