Custer- Not the sharpest knife in the drawer

Old January 5th 12, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

Default Custer- Not the sharpest knife in the drawer

He's a very difficult cat to pill using any method involving forcing
pills down. However, put the pill in with a handful of cat treats in the
palm of my hand, and whoosh, it's gone down the feline vacuum cleaner.

--
Nik Simpson
Old January 5th 12, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 01/05/2012 09:34 AM, nik Simpson wrote:
He's a very difficult cat to pill using any method involving forcing
pills down. However, put the pill in with a handful of cat treats in the
palm of my hand, and whoosh, it's gone down the feline vacuum cleaner.

I sounds to me like hje is plenty sharp. MLB
Old January 5th 12, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"MLB" wrote in message
On 01/05/2012 09:34 AM, nik Simpson wrote:
He's a very difficult cat to pill using any method involving forcing
pills down. However, put the pill in with a handful of cat treats in the
palm of my hand, and whoosh, it's gone down the feline vacuum cleaner.

I sounds to me like hje is plenty sharp. MLB

Our cats love treats -- but do not eat from our hands. We have to put the
treats down on the surface they are on (shelf, table), or the floor,
otherwise they don't touch them.

Jay

Old January 5th 12, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jan 5, 12:18*pm, "J J Levin" wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message

On 01/05/2012 09:34 AM, nik Simpson wrote:
He's a very difficult cat to pill using any method involving forcing
pills down. However, put the pill in with a handful of cat treats in the
palm of my hand, and whoosh, it's gone down the feline vacuum cleaner.

I sounds to me like hje is plenty sharp. *MLB

Our cats love treats -- but do not eat from our hands. We have to put the
treats down on the surface they are on (shelf, table), or the floor,
otherwise they don't touch them.

My first reaction was that they had been to dealer's school. You
cannot hand a poker dealer money. You have to put it on the table in
clear view, whether it is a tip or money to be changed for tips.

What an image.

--
Will in New Haven

Old January 5th 12, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"MLB" wrote in message

On 01/05/2012 09:34 AM, nik Simpson wrote:
He's a very difficult cat to pill using any method involving forcing
pills down. However, put the pill in with a handful of cat treats in
the
palm of my hand, and whoosh, it's gone down the feline vacuum cleaner.

I sounds to me like hje is plenty sharp. MLB

Our cats love treats -- but do not eat from our hands. We have to put the
treats down on the surface they are on (shelf, table), or the floor,
otherwise they don't touch them.

My first reaction was that they had been to dealer's school. You
cannot hand a poker dealer money. You have to put it on the table in
clear view, whether it is a tip or money to be changed for tips.

That's why I don't play roulette or blackjack with my cats. They always win.
:-)

Jay

Will in New Haven

Old January 5th 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-01-05 1:42 PM, MLB wrote:
On 01/05/2012 09:34 AM, nik Simpson wrote:
He's a very difficult cat to pill using any method involving forcing
pills down. However, put the pill in with a handful of cat treats in the
palm of my hand, and whoosh, it's gone down the feline vacuum cleaner.

I sounds to me like hje is plenty sharp. MLB

Some cats would pick through the offered treats and eat everything but
the pill. I had a cat once who, when offered the kind of cat food that
had chunks of meat in gravy, would lick up all the gravy, leaving
sad-looking little lumps of meat on the plate. You couldn't hide a pill
in canned food for her!

--
Cheryl
Old January 5th 12, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

On 2012-01-05 1:42 PM, MLB wrote:
On 01/05/2012 09:34 AM, nik Simpson wrote:
He's a very difficult cat to pill using any method involving forcing
pills down. However, put the pill in with a handful of cat treats in the
palm of my hand, and whoosh, it's gone down the feline vacuum cleaner.

I sounds to me like hje is plenty sharp. MLB

Some cats would pick through the offered treats and eat everything but
the pill. I had a cat once who, when offered the kind of cat food that
had chunks of meat in gravy, would lick up all the gravy, leaving
sad-looking little lumps of meat on the plate. You couldn't hide a pill
in canned food for her!

That's been my experience with cats in the past, they would carefully
eat everything but the pill, and leave the pill artfully placed dead
center in the food bowl as a carefully crafted f*** you message ;-) But
Custer just cannot keep away from the catnip flavored treats, and just
vacuums them up without looking at what he's eating. This makes Custer
the easiest cat to pill I've ever known.

--
Nik Simpson
Old January 6th 12, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

nik Simpson wrote:

He's a very difficult cat to pill using any method involving forcing
pills down. However, put the pill in with a handful of cat treats in the
palm of my hand, and whoosh, it's gone down the feline vacuum cleaner.

Lucky for me, the medicine I have to give Roxy (which is just L-Lysine,
an amino acid) comes in powder form. So I mix it in with a spoonful of
wet food until the powder is fully dissolved, and then I add the bribes:
a bunch of kitty treats mixed in. She has to eat the wet food to get the
treats. Sometimes she leaves some of the wet food with the treats picked
out of it and eaten, so I often have to go through a few iterations -
add more treats, push it all together into a little mound and give that
back to her, rinse, repeat, until it's finally all gone.

Meanwhile, Licky's eating his portion in the bedroom with the door
closed. He knows the drill and doesn't object at all - in fact, I think
he prefers it. Sometimes if I open the door too soon, he looks up at
me as if to say, "Hey, I'm still eating. Don't let *her* in here yet!"

By the way, Licky would like to let you know that cats consider it a bit
rude to use the words "feline" and "vacuum cleaner" in the same sentence.

--
Joyce

Anyone who has accustomed himself to regard the life of any living
creature as worthless is in danger of arriving also at the idea of
worthless human lives. -- Albert Schweitzer
Old January 6th 12, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 2012-01-05 1:42 PM, MLB wrote:
On 01/05/2012 09:34 AM, nik Simpson wrote:
He's a very difficult cat to pill using any method involving forcing
pills down. However, put the pill in with a handful of cat treats in the
palm of my hand, and whoosh, it's gone down the feline vacuum cleaner.

I sounds to me like hje is plenty sharp. MLB

Some cats would pick through the offered treats and eat everything but the
pill. I had a cat once who, when offered the kind of cat food that had
chunks of meat in gravy, would lick up all the gravy, leaving sad-looking
little lumps of meat on the plate. You couldn't hide a pill in canned food
for her!

--
Cheryl

When Persia was first diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and I had to pill her I
used these:

http://www.dtypetsupply.com/Feline-G...3-oz_p_99.html

They're soft little treats with holes in the middle to tuck pills into. I'd
put in her pill, squish it into a little round ball and toss it to her like
a treat. Persia gobbled it up and never noticed the pill Of course this
wouldn't work if they're prescribing really big pills.

Jill

Old January 6th 12, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On 2012-01-05 1:42 PM, MLB wrote:

On 01/05/2012 09:34 AM, nik Simpson wrote:
He's a very difficult cat to pill using any method involving forcing
pills down. However, put the pill in with a handful of cat treats in the
palm of my hand, and whoosh, it's gone down the feline vacuum cleaner.

I sounds to me like hje is plenty sharp. MLB

Some cats would pick through the offered treats and eat everything but
the pill. I had a cat once who, when offered the kind of cat food that
had chunks of meat in gravy, would lick up all the gravy, leaving
sad-looking little lumps of meat on the plate. You couldn't hide a pill
in canned food for her!

--
Cheryl

Rusty (RB) won't even touch his canned food if there was a pill
hidden there. But he would gobble up a Pill(ed) Pocket -- Winnie