allergic to cat

Old November 13th 04, 07:35 PM
Laila

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 03:53:23 -0500, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Laila" wrote in message
.. .

does contains all sorts of stuff including dead skin cells, i should
've said. we don't live anywhere near earth. so our dust is dead
skin cells, dead insect parts, feather parts from pillows, molds, and
probably some pollen from the summer.

...and dust mites - which are well known allergens. Imagine these nasty
looking things crawling around in your nostrils....

http://www.maxshouse.com/ImageDatabase/Dust_Mite.jpg

yak. where do they come from and what do they eat? why do they live
in dust?

-L
Old November 13th 04, 08:47 PM
Phil P.

"Laila" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 03:53:23 -0500, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Laila" wrote in message
.. .

does contains all sorts of stuff including dead skin cells, i should
've said. we don't live anywhere near earth. so our dust is dead
skin cells, dead insect parts, feather parts from pillows, molds, and
probably some pollen from the summer.

...and dust mites - which are well known allergens. Imagine these nasty
looking things crawling around in your nostrils....

http://www.maxshouse.com/ImageDatabase/Dust_Mite.jpg

yak. where do they come from and what do they eat?

Mostly dead skin that people and animals shed. People shed about 1/4 oz of
skin/week. So, your (anybody's) mattress (unless its sealed) is harboring at
least a few hundred thousand to a few million dust mites - not counting your
pillow.

"Nighty night; don't let the bed bugs bite" suddenly has new meaning! LOL!

You chauffeur them around from one room to the next and from house to house
on your clothes. Their digestive enzymes are what makes people wheeze.
You'll never get rid of all them.

You can see the nasty critters with a 10-15x jewler's or printer's loupe.

why do they live
in dust?

Because dust contains "tons" of skin flakes and other organic material. The
stuff you see floating in the air in a beam of sunlight coming through your
window is almost all skin flakes.

Creepy, huh?

Phil

-L

Old November 13th 04, 10:39 PM
Laila

wrote:

...and dust mites - which are well known allergens. Imagine these nasty
looking things crawling around in your nostrils....
http://www.maxshouse.com/ImageDatabase/Dust_Mite.jpg

yak. where do they come from and what do they eat?

Mostly dead skin that people and animals shed. People shed about 1/4 oz of
skin/week.

i never thought of it in volume. ick. i guess since my boyfriend has
psoriasis, he sheds more skin.

So, your (anybody's) mattress (unless its sealed) is harboring at
least a few hundred thousand to a few million dust mites - not counting your
pillow.

oh god, that's utterly gross!

"Nighty night; don't let the bed bugs bite" suddenly has new meaning! LOL!

i thought it referred to body lice.

You chauffeur them around from one room to the next and from house to house
on your clothes. Their digestive enzymes are what makes people wheeze.
You'll never get rid of all them.

/sigh i was about to say i will do some major cleaning to get rid of
them. well, at least we are getting rid of the dust, so there 'll be
fewer millions of them.

You can see the nasty critters with a 10-15x jewler's or printer's loupe.

they look scary.

why do they live in dust?

Because dust contains "tons" of skin flakes and other organic material. The
stuff you see floating in the air in a beam of sunlight coming through your
window is almost all skin flakes.

so now we just have to find a way to become cyborgs. hmmm

Creepy, huh?

yeah!

-L

-L

Old November 14th 04, 03:41 AM
Phil P.

"Hodge" wrote in message
link.net...
In article ,
Laila wrote:

"Nighty night; don't let the bed bugs bite" suddenly has new meaning!

LOL!

i thought it referred to body lice.

It refers to bed bugs, an entirely different animal.
--
http://www.mindspring.com/~slywy/

No kidding. Did you not see "Nighty night; don't let the bed bugs bite"
suddenly has ***new*** meaning"? "*New*" - as in "Having been made or come
into being only a short time ago"....

I'll say it again in case you're skimming again....*New meaning* - *New
meaning* - since the subject is *dust mites* a/k/a Dermatophagoides farinae,
not Cimex lectularius.

Gotta watch that skimming! If you skim over your drivers license test you'll
be walking! LOL!

Nighty night; don't let the bed bugs bite....

Old November 15th 04, 11:53 PM
Sideshow

Do you know if those come in pill form too?
No, I do not. I'll ask my friend who owns the local homeopathic store.
Old November 18th 04, 01:20 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-11-12, Sherry penned:
People can be allergic to the pollen of a tree that grows in one area of a
country and not the other. Plus, the climate of Vancouver and NYC is
different. In addition, people often move to areas like the Southwest to
escape their allergies, but find once they start living there, they develop
allergies to the local pollens.

Allergies are weird that way. Did you know that people can also be *more*
sensitive to a particular cat over another. I also remember some study
about lighter-haired cats bothering allergy sufferers worse than light
hairs. (or maybe the other way around). It must be very frustrating and
difficult to pinpoint the real source to treat.

*tiptoes into this mess*

My husband has been able to live with a long-haired grey female cat for years.
Introduce a short-haired black male cat (neutered), and his allergies went
nuts, and he got seriously sick several times over a one-month period. I'm
guessing his immune system was affected enough that he became more susceptable
to whatever's making the rounds.

Combine this with my first cat's utter hatred/terror for the new cat, and
unfortunately we are looking for a new home for the boy, even though he is the
sweetest, most loveable cat we've ever met. I've shed many a tear, and I'm
sure I'm not done.

--
monique