A "novel" new use of MySpace

Old March 6th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

Default A "novel" new use of MySpace

LITTLE ROCK (AP) - A brazen bank robber with nothing but a baseball cap and
dark sunglasses hiding his face is one of the latest members of the
social-networking Web site MySpace, and he wants meet "more bank tellers so
that I can continue my crime spree!!!"

Even though MySpace is popular mostly with teenagers, Fort Smith police Sgt.
Jarrard Copeland created the profile Friday hoping someone will recognize
the man estimated to be about 60 years old and suspected in four bank
robberies across Arkansas.

"We figure that might be one way to get this photo outside of the market,"
he said.

Amid a backdrop of $100 bills and a song "Citizens on Patrol" from the movie
"Police Academy," the profile displays several photos from a Feb. 22 robbery
at a U.S. Bank branch in Alma in which the suspect wore a blue jacket with
"FBI" lettering on the left front and a blue baseball cap.

"The pictures are definitely clear enough and there's enough of his face and
facial features exposed that someone who knows him will definitely recognize
him and hopefully they'll call police," Copeland said.

The photo gallery shows a series of bank security camera photographs,
including comic captions like "Here I am robbing the Van Buren bank. See my
little gun?" and "I'm robbing the bank in Fort Smith here.... I'm so
cool!!!"

Copeland said he didn't go out of his way to ridicule the robber.

"I'm not concerned about taunting him," he said. "If it can get him
flustered and it can cause him to slip up and make a mistake, it might help
us apprehend him."

Steve Frazier, an FBI spokesman based in Little Rock, said his agency
"didn't have a problem" with the MySpace effort, though they would stick
with their traditional bulletins to the media.

On the Net:
MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/bankrobber2007

Fort Smith, Ark., Police Department: http://www.fortsmithpd.org/

--