AGGGH! #2: Sick L'il Kitty (upper respiratory infection)

Old November 13th 03, 08:22 AM
Miss Violette

I was not offended as most of them are coming from a new kittydaddy who
genuinely wants to make his kitten's life as good as he can, I think that
the occasional post of this nature is good for all of us as there is so very
much great experience here. If Jean doesn't know about it somebody does and
helping our cats or their hoomans is after all what life is about to me,
sorry these are upsetting you and hope you feel better soon, soft
Cory wrote in message
I don't want to start a possible international incident here, but am I
the only one who is a little irked by all of the Off Topic posts?? I
was around before and after the split fracas so many years ago, but not
during. Having said that, I DO happen to have some experience with
people becoming annoyed with Meowchat in RPC before the split.
Meowchatters were CONSTANTLY picked on by people who thought it was
stupid, annoying, childish, or any other idiotic verb you can think of
(such as idiotic). It's one of the reasons the split happened in the
first place. Now that we have the split, everything *should* be
hunky-dory, but IMNSHO, it ain't. One of the reasons RPCC was created
in the first place was so that the kitties (and lurking Uncas and Antis
who are fluent in their own "brand" of meowchat) could have A PLACE OF
THEIR OWN. If others got their noses out of joint because of the
meowchatters, doesn't it follow that the meowchatters would get their
noses out of joint by people constantly coming in here when their
issues would be better off being discussed in, oh, I don't know,
REC.PETS.CATS.HEALTH+BEHAV, or REC.PETS.CATS.MISC???

I've personally had enough of this, and I won't put up with it anymore.
This is NOT a "community" newsgroup in the sense that it should be for
EVERY subject cats that's out there. AAMOF, had I been around
during the split talks, I would have VERY, VERY, VERY STRONGLY urged
whomever was in charge of creating the RPC subgroups NOT to name this
particular group rec.pets.cats.community, and these off-topic posts
would have been my reasoning why. I would have, instead, urged people
to name this newsgroup what it is... rec.pets.cats.meowchat. People
may have been worried about flamers and whatnot, had the group been
named what it should have been, and part of me can understand that, but
IMHO, people should have the guts to flame a narrow-minded pencil neck
geek who flames us in the first place for a dialect that we KNOW is
fantasy, and we KNOW is not a "real" dialect. Get some gumption.
Barring that, there would have always been the header info. that could
have been directed to SOME abuse outlet, should some lame-ass flamer
come in here. Instead, we don't have a flamewar problem, but we DO
have an issue of posts not being posted in the proper place they should
be posted.

I don't mean to offend those who truly don't know any better (at the
same time, if you DON'T know any better, maybe you should Google the
RPCC charter), and if you are offended, I do apologize, but I honestly
do not know which is worse anymore, flamers or misplaced posts. Like I
said, enough is enough, and it's time to take a stand against it.
Maybe a moderated group is finally in order.

--- (Unca) Cory

--
Change the number symbol to a 3 to send e-mail.

Old November 14th 03, 02:13 AM
onlyTwoSeemsSoFewCats

Ah, Cory, I dunno - I guess you've got a point, but I most certainly do
NOT want to see this group "requiring" meowchat posts only. If a kitty
posts asking for other cats' ideas on what to do about it's sneezing
problem, is it allowed or not?

And when those of us who lose our friends seek some comfort and
comisseration for our grief - what about that? I certainly did not feel
like being "Panda" the days my darling meezers died.

I've continued to pop in-and-out of other groups from time to time.
Yeah, maybe, h+b is the most "on-topic" for Mike's questions. But
by-and-large, I've found those groups have become their own enclosures,
and responses are often sharp and intimidating, like "shut up and get to
the vet, stupid", rather than gently sharing past experience with a
newly owned hoomin.

We're a friendly community, maybe begun out of having our own little
quirk but many of us hang out "here" because we know folks, and we find
folks know alot and are pretty good about helping, and can do it
lightheartedly and with humour.

Just my $0.25.

Oh, yeah, and PS: good point about the sports maybe? My cats don't post
about their latest quilting projects, debate the merits of their tarot
decks, or ask about diabetes research.... (=^.^=) (l'il claw poke there)

Old November 14th 03, 02:28 AM
onlyTwoSeemsSoFewCats

Dan Mahoney wrote:

Personally, I didn't realize that posts of this nature were considered
off-topic. Yes, I was aware that the *primary* purpose for RPCC was as a
forum for meow-chat, but didn't know that meow-chat was *the* purpose.

You know, that's another point - there's nothing about this group
charter that ever spoke to "content". Most of the meowchatters were
happy posting with MEOW: at the front and never objected to other
material - it was those who got irked at MEOW: or the occasional missed
labelling of it that wanted the split.

I have no recollection that this group was to disallow OTHER
discussions, (short of trolling and flame wars on the usual hot topics),
it was simply to include the whimsy of MEOW: without having to
repeatedly fight to "justify" it.

Johanna and some four furrs

Old November 14th 03, 05:47 AM
Sonam Dasara

"onlyTwoSeemsSoFewCats" wrote in message

I've continued to pop in-and-out of other groups from time to time.
Yeah, maybe, h+b is the most "on-topic" for Mike's questions. But
by-and-large, I've found those groups have become their own enclosures,
and responses are often sharp and intimidating, like "shut up and get to
the vet, stupid", rather than gently sharing past experience with a
newly owned hoomin.

I'll agree with that, and add "ignorant" and "uncivil" to your comments
about those ng's - and I've had a cat for less than a month! After my
short-lived experience with these news groups I found that the
Persian-specific or Persian show-cat specific mailing lists and web forums
(that are "by invitation only" and moderated) are not only the best source
of information for a newcomer like me with a Persian, but, like this ng,
populated by folks who genuinely want to help a newcomer and their cat with
everyday concerns and advice. I would imagine that other "closed"
lists/forums for other breeds are just as pleasant and rewarding an
experience.

Since I've only known you folks for a very short time, I would (and
should) refrain from forming an opinion concerning non-meowchat posts, but I
*really* can see why a newcomer would give up on those "other" cat ng's and
post here.
--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara

ask-at-electric-hyphen-ink-dot-com

Old November 14th 03, 05:57 AM
Tanada

Sonam Dasara wrote:

I'll agree with that, and add "ignorant" and "uncivil" to your comments
about those ng's - and I've had a cat for less than a month! After my
short-lived experience with these news groups I found that the
Persian-specific or Persian show-cat specific mailing lists and web forums
(that are "by invitation only" and moderated) are not only the best source
of information for a newcomer like me with a Persian, but, like this ng,
populated by folks who genuinely want to help a newcomer and their cat with
everyday concerns and advice. I would imagine that other "closed"
lists/forums for other breeds are just as pleasant and rewarding an
experience.

This group and rec.pets.cats.anecdotes are the only newsgroup I go into
anymore. That's because these two groups are friendly and helpful as
well as fun places to read about each other and our owners' doings.
Sonam, I think there's room for you at RPCA if you wish. We always are
willing to greet those who love their animals and are willing to be nice
to each other.

Pam S. who posts to both on occasion.

Old November 14th 03, 06:55 PM
Samuel R (\Houdini\) Kitten

Oh, yeah, and PS: good point about the sports maybe? My cats don't post
about their latest quilting projects, debate the merits of their tarot
decks, or ask about diabetes research.... (=^.^=) (l'il claw poke there)

Ob corse not - dere's no doubt about which is de best Tarot deck. It's
de Tarot of the Cat People!

Sammy Kitten
whose paw actually purrfers the Sacred Rose deck sometimes