giving the cat baths...

Old October 14th 03, 05:47 PM
Syd

Hiya...
anyone knows of the most natural, non-chemical way that I can bathe my cat
Fusspot? I live in the Northwest, where the flea season this time was
really horrid and his skin was a bit scally. He doesn't care for a wet
washcloth and even the most gentle brushing doesn't help.

Thanks!

You might try rubbing a natural, light, edible oil under his fur, then
dusting him down with rice flour or cornstarch, then brushing it
out...The oil would definitely help his skin, and soothe the places
where there is discomfort. I would use something like hazelnut (very
light) or avacado oil, although olive oil would work pretty well. The
powder (definitely not talc) would absorb the excess oil (so he
doesn't get too loose, if you know what I mean) and brushing it out
would keep him from consuming too much of it, while removing the
excess dirt, scalies and other yuckies.

Good luck, I would be interested to hear how it goes!

Syd
Old October 14th 03, 08:10 PM
Cat Protector

Actually, baths are good for cats because it helps get rid of excess hair
which can reduce hairballs a little. Every few months I give my cats a bath
and you'd be surprised how much lose hair ends up in the tub.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Barb 1" wrote in message
Does Fusspot have fleas? If that's the case I doubt a bath will be

enough.
You need to speak to the vet about this. Generally cats do not need you

bathe them. They do that themselves.

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.

Old October 14th 03, 09:35 PM
Mary

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Actually, baths are good for cats because it helps get rid of excess

hair
which can reduce hairballs a little. Every few months I give my cats

a bath
and you'd be surprised how much lose hair ends up in the tub.

Baths are not good for all cats, it depends on the condition of the
skin and fur, and other factors such as how upset the cat gets. Gentle
and regular rushing alone can get all the loose hair etc. off of the
cat.

Old October 14th 03, 11:27 PM
Cat Protector

I have to disagree here. If a cat starts rolling around in dirt, has access
hair that is not gotten out or a person has allergies but still loves their
cat, bathing is a nice way to go. I have brushed my cats nefore but still
had to bathe them to get more hair out as well to help in their cleaning
process. While most cats fear water baths are still needed on occasion.
Also, let us not forget that show cats (cats which compete in cat shows)
will often get baths before they compete in the show ring.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

.. .

Old October 15th 03, 12:07 AM
Mary

"PawsForThought" wrote

Your cat is probably shedding more because she's afraid of the bath.

Cats that
are indoors shouldn't need a bath.

My Cheeks (indoor, rescued as a two-year-old) is the gentlest little
cat
in the world, but at bath time seemed convinced that I had fed her,
played with her, cuddled her, etc. just as some sort of ruse to trick
her
into the bathroom and kill her. It is the only time she will put out
her claws,
and she did so to get purchase in my back, at which point she dug in
and
used me as a bridge to get out of the tub. (You can picture this--she
waited
until I bent very close to her and reached over my shoulder. At which
point,
what do you do but let her have her way! LOL!) So I quit bathing her.
It seemed to me that she was kind of stinky after a month, then became
and
pretty much stays sweet smelling. Part of it is keeping her box
scooped
daily. Another good reason not to bathe her is that she has a
predilection to respiratory problems, and when she gets upset she has
asthma attacks that are really scary. I'd like to keep her down to a
minimum of allergy shots.