Feeding questions

Old November 4th 03, 01:54 PM
Wendy

Default Feeding questions

We have a 16 year old spayed female tabby, Tigger, who has a tendency to be
overweight. We got her down to 9 lbs. but this is still a little heavy for
her frame. It is imperative to keep her weight down as she has arthritis.

We also have a 1-2 yr. old long hair spayed female, Isabel. We recently
adopted her from a local shelter and she appeared to be grossly overweight
(her picture was in the dictionary next to bowling ball). We are trying to
get her down to a healthy weight.

Our third cat, Boots, is 12 weeks old. He is the last of a litter of kittens
we ended up bottle feeding when Mom took off and left them on our property.
The last of his siblings were adopted last Saturday.

Now to the feeding question. Since Boot's siblings have left he has decided
he doesn't want to eat the kitten food. He wants to eat the same food as the
adult cats. How long should he be on kitten food? I hesitate to ask as I
gather there is a debate over dry and wet food but should he be on more
"wet" food because he is a male? He doesn't seem to want to eat much at one
sitting but would rather munch during the day. This is a challenge as Isabel
is a total chow hound and must be watched like a hawk or she'll eat the
kitten food if left out.

Any suggestions how to handle the needs of all these guys so that they all
get what they need?

Old November 4th 03, 04:37 PM
GAUBSTER2

Or, you could feed an "all life stages" food for all the
cats.

That is definitely NOT good advice. All life stage foods are formulated for
kittens and may contain nutrient levels (of fat, phosphorus, calcium,
magnesium, sodium, etc.) not appropriate for senior and/or adult cats.

Canned is definitely better for them than dry food which tends to be
more cereal than meat.

Canned is a good idea but not because of the "cereal vs meat" argument. (what
kind of cereal is that? Frosted Flakes?? lol) Canned foods are mostly water
and getting enough water into the cats should be a goal of proper nutrition.

Old November 4th 03, 07:20 PM
Karen M.

Wendy wrote:
We have a 16 year old spayed female tabby, Tigger, who has a tendency to be
overweight. We got her down to 9 lbs. but this is still a little heavy for
her frame. It is imperative to keep her weight down as she has arthritis.

It's so hard to get a cat to lose weight, isn't it? I feel for you,
believe me!

[...]

Wendy, since you have two cats that are needing to lose weight, I would
feed them seperately on the same food. I would try to choose a light
food with a higher amount of protein and less carbs (canned food will
help with this too, there are light formulas available). Give them
controlled portions 2x a day, say morning and evening. They will get
used to the feeding times. Keep the food down for say, half an hour,
then take it away. Feed them where the kitten cannot get to the food.

For the kitten, you really should be feeding a kitten food til 1 year.
Kitten foods contain more fat and protein than other foods, which they
need for growth. An all-life-stage food many times won't have as high
percentage of these nutrients as a actual kitten food, so I would stick
with that. As for brand, that's something your cats will have to decide
, I would just stay away from supermarket brands and choose a
higher-quality food. You can keep the adults out of the kitten food by
taking a milk crate or heavy box or something similar, cut an opening
big enough for the kitten but too small for your more "robust" two, and
keep the food in there. That way kitten can have free access to her food.

HTH,
Karen M.

Feeding time! Lois Reay Cat anecdotes 4 October 15th 03 12:09 AM
Looking for a vet... What questions should I ask? Al Kondo Cat health & behaviour 12 October 10th 03 07:59 PM
Tube feeding for liver disease?? Bill from Tampa Cat health & behaviour 10 August 20th 03 12:25 AM