Icarus & UTI

Old January 22nd 05, 03:30 PM
Cat Protector

I started noticing it a week or so ago. At first it was thought he was just
doing that because he is fighting to be top cat in the household and also
likes to be near me most of them time. When I started monitoring his urine
output and reading about UTI online I just decided to take him in to get
checked out. They had to take a urine sample at the hospital because he was
pretty much holding it in when it came to the blank litterbox in an isolated
room idea. They pressed on the location of his bladder (located just before
his hind legs) and they got enough urine to spray out into a small black pan
to take the sample. It looked similar to those plastic instant dinner pans
that come with the Banquet brand meals. The other option collecting the
urine would have been a needle through the bladder but Icarus had enough to
collect the other way.

I got a good vet this time around and I'll be using them for my other three
cats. Not only were they patient with Icarus but I was allowed to be there
with him the whole time. He is a fireball with vets so it was good to have
this one and felt involved in the process. He showed me the sample in the
test tube where he stick tested it and showed me the colored areas which
measured the ph levels, etc. I saw some white stuff in the bottom of the
tube that was either the crystals or the white blood cells (he had a more
than normal white cell count as he was fighting the infection). I also got
to see the sample under the microscope as well and saw the crystals for
myself. This UTI was caught early so all he Icarus needs is a special diet
and meds for the next few weeks.

The vet was pretty reasonable in price. I was a little taken back by the
bill at first but it cost around $140 which included the exam, urine
testing, first shot of anti-biotic, first pill, and the special food he has
to eat. All of it was itemized and in hindsight seems reasonable now. Yes it
is an expense but if the UTI were allowed to progress I was told it would
have cost $300 or more probably because they'd have to do surgery.

My parents were the ones who told me about this vet as they take their dogs
to this doctor now. They found him through a list that the pound gives
people when they adopt an animal because the listing shows area vets that do
a first exam for free. They were impressed and have been taking their dogs
to him ever since. I can see why they recommended this vet. He actually
listens to what you have to say, shows you the results, gives you the steps
he took in order to explain things and allowed me to be there with Icarus
the whole time. A lot of vets just take you in a room, allow you to be there
for the exam and then the rest of the time takes the cat away and does their
thing and explains the results later on a piece of paper and you pay the
bill. This one didn't do that.

I have no problem recommending this vet to others and feel comfortable
taking my other 2 cats there as I'll know they'll be in good hands. It is
nice to finally find a good vet for a change.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Jean B." wrote in message ...
Oh! Timely post for me. I hope I can get Mingy to the vet's
TODAY! How long had Icarus been urinating inappropriately before
you got him to the vet? How did you get the urine sample? I know
this has been discussed, but I don't know that I can use the
methods I have seen (meaning I have doubt that Mingy would
cooperate).
--
Jean B.

Old January 22nd 05, 03:34 PM
Cat Protector

I got the antibiotics from the vet as it was prescribed. The pill is small
enough where he didn't have any difficulty taking it. He also hasn't had the
runs and the vet told me that he needs plenty of water. The cats in this
household always have fresh water in the water dishes.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Antibiotics frequently cause the runs so it would be a good idea to get
some acidolphulos (sp) capsules from the refrigerated section of a
health food store. If the problem develops, open a capsule and mix the
powder in with the canned food. It has no flavor so Icarus won't know
it's there. DON'T get tablets at the supermarket - they may not work.
I am not a vet so you might want to run this by your vet.

---MIKE---

Old January 22nd 05, 03:37 PM
Cat Protector

I am confident with what Icarus' vet prescribed and recommended. I'll
probably ask for other options after he is done with the pills as a
preventative.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Jean B." wrote in message ...
Reading this thread too. I have some. I think, given the fact
that Mingy is long-haired, I will try to remember to have the vet
cut a "poop chute". Otherwise...
--
Jean B.

Old January 22nd 05, 09:04 PM
Jean B.

Cat Protector wrote:

[...]

Thank you for all the details! I rather like this Hospital where
I took Mingy, although they took him out to get a sample, and I
did not get to go with him. Then I was waiting for what seemed
like forever, and getting more and more anxious. Turns out the
vet must have assessed things at the same time, because she then
came in and shocked me with the news--esp. the news that he should
spend the night. :-((( They seems to be very good with the
little patients, but slightly less good with the owners. I can
deal with that as long as they really are as kind to the babies
when their owners are not watching as they seem to be when they
are watching.

I have already called once, although the vet should be calling
soon. He has been unblocked and was coming out of the anesthesia
(ketamine, alas). I hope the valium doesn't wear off for a while,
because he is so shy--hates anything new, hides from everyone but
me and my daughter. I am actually more worried about his mental
state than his physical state, although that will change
immediately when he is back with me...........
--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 09:05 PM
Jean B.

Cat Protector wrote:

I got the antibiotics from the vet as it was prescribed. The pill is small
enough where he didn't have any difficulty taking it. He also hasn't had the
runs and the vet told me that he needs plenty of water. The cats in this
household always have fresh water in the water dishes.

Mingy always has fresh water. I need to see if he still drinks
more if there is ice in it. I hope so. They also recommended
water from (unsalted) tuna. I don't know whether that will entice
him, though, because he has never been interested in tuna.

--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 09:06 PM
Jean B.

Cat Protector wrote:

I am confident with what Icarus' vet prescribed and recommended. I'll
probably ask for other options after he is done with the pills as a
preventative.

I have to wait and see what the cause of the blockage
was--infection, crystals, or ??? Obviously, the treatment will
depend on that.

--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 09:12 PM
Cat Protector

NP. I probably would have been more anxious having to wait in the reception
area. If they weren't able to get a urine sample I probably would have had
to leave Icarus there overnight and then probably worried about it a little
but then again the other two cats would have gotten the night off without
him chasing them. Being able to be with Icarus through the whole thing takes
the anxiety off and allows me to face the problem head on which at least
takes the pain out of it. I am glad to see your cat is going to be ok.

Old January 22nd 05, 09:13 PM
Rene S.

Anyway, if you suspect UTI then get the cat checked out at the vet.

Catching
the signs early can really be the best thing and you also avoid

having the
cat worked on surgically which is a lot more expensive than the $140

I had
to pay (that included the exams, shots, urinalysis, anti-biotic shot,

pills,
first bad of special diet food, and of course the liquid anti-biotic.

As
high as the price was for me, it was a small price to pay for Icarus'

well
being not to mention that I now have a good vet for my cats. I

learned
something new as I was never faced with a cat having UTI before. The

vet
said that if it wasn't caught early then it could have cost at least

$300. I
guess I saved some money and also got Icarus the help he needs. Maybe

he
might be a little calmer with other cats in the process.

Um, I hope the next time you have a similar problem with your cat(s),
you will take the advice you stated above and bring your cat(s) in
_right away_. Everyone here was urging you to take the cat in, and you
were bent on holistic treatment.

You might consider feeding an all canned diet and scrapping the dry
food. Will definately help with future urinary problems.

Old January 22nd 05, 09:17 PM
Cat Protector

With Icarus the food turned out to be part of the problem. The vet was
unable to determine what the other problem was but suggested that I also add
another litterbox. I now have the giant one and a medium sized one in the
bathroom now. At least I can monitor the situation this way instead of
isolating Icarus to the bedroom which the other cats like to be in as well
as they like to sleep on the bed at night.

Old January 22nd 05, 09:28 PM
Cat Protector

Rene, the kicking me while I am down or I told you so method of posting is
not necessary. Those who got upset with me early certainly did not just post
like this. As for your feeding only canned food to the cats, the vet said
some cats can handle and thrive on the store bought brands while others
require feeding them a special diet or more premium foods.

Before all this happened the dominance and spraying issue seemed plausible.
Even the vet said this was a possibility before the tests. If it turned out
not to be UTI, then that was the most logical explaination. With the
exception of blood in the urine the behavioral issue has similar symptoms.
The holistic route is actually a nice route to go and can actually be a good
preventative for UTI. I took Icarus in because I read other Sites about UTI
and figured a vet call was needed to rule out the problem. I learned a
lesson, caught it early and now Icarus can move towards healing.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com