Survey

Old April 8th 05, 11:42 PM
CatNipped

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
There is a lot of history going on here in rpch+b that I don't know (or

even
wish to know). But I *would* like to know more about the experiences

people
here have had with cats.

To that end, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see if I could get some

data
that might help me formulate opinions or weigh advice. So that you'll

have
the same from me, I'll answer this first [my answers are in brackets].

[Please note, this is as unbiased as I can possibly make it and

certainly
*not* meant to start controversy, but if you feel a question is phrased

in
provocative manner please feel free to change it. I'm not asking for or
giving opinions, only data.]

How many cats to you currently live with?

Two

What are their ages and sex?

13 - female

Close to my Bandit's age (15) - we might be able to compare notes as they
continue to age.

5 (or maybe 6) - male

(actual birth dates not known for either one)

My current four were all adopted as kittens so it was easier to guestimate
their ages although the actual birthdays I've assigned each are purely
arbitrary! ;

Are they purebred or moggies?

Moggies - a LH calico and a "tuxedo"

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

Yes:

female - don't know age - was already spayed when adopted at approx. 1 yr.
old
male - neutered when several (guestimate 7 - 11) months old

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm interested

in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

Not AFAIK (no history known before each adoption)

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

Dry. They sometimes have canned, but prefer dry. Given smallish amounts

in
the morning, late afternoon, & in evening

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor, mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

Indoor only, except they have access to a screened-in porch when I'm at
home, as long as the weather's warm enough to keep the LR/porch door open.
Access to porch once in a while in the winter - for short periods of time.

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

Four, since age 23.

First cat was a female - adopted as a kitten in '73; she died in '91, at

age
17.

Second cat was adopted in very late '86, when she was slightly less than 2
yr. old (AFAIK - actual birth date unknown) - she died in 2001, at age 16.

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

No

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

No; donate occasionally - cash &/or old towels, throw rugs, food

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or

cats
in
particular?

No

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

Don't know - never kept track; maybe 5?

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

None are stuck in my memory...

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were they?

Yes:

Idiopathic vestibular syndrome

Wow, I've never even heard of that - what is it was it bad?

Hyperthyroidism
Liver disease (acute, then chronic)
CRF
kitty "colds"

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a

cat?

Yes:

sub-Q fluids
Procrit

How long did it take you to learn to give fluids? Did it make you queasy
the first few times you did (it would be, I don't know if I could do that
first stick - hoping I never have to, but with a 15 year old I'm trying to
educate myself in case I do just to be realistic)?. What's Procrit?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cathy

Old April 8th 05, 11:46 PM
CatNipped

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Fri 08 Apr 2005 05:10:08p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

How many cats to you currently live with?

4

What are their ages and sex?

3.5 - M
2.5 - F
7 mo - M&F littermates

Are they purebred or moggies?

beautiful moggies

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

Yes. littermates, at 3mo (male) and 4mo (female), shamrock, 1yr (he
was a stray found at 1yr old) Bonnie (really unknown, but she was
probably 6mo at time of spay but could be much later (she was a
feral that I trapped).

Yeah, I've read about Bonnie - that amazes me that you've been able to do so
much with her. The only ferals I've ever dealt with have been the ones I
feed at my "outside cats" feeding station. I've tried trapping "little gray
cat with the too tight flea collar" but for the second time she's
disappeared as soon as I put the trap out (even after carefully following
Megan's instruction).

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm
interested in what health issue might or might not be associated
with this)?

No.

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

canned and dry

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor,
mostly outdoor, only outdoor?

indoor with access to an outdoor fully enclosed "playpen" when the
weather is nice

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

counting foster cats, about 15

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

no

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

yes

What did you do?

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal
husbandry or cats in particular?

no

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

maybe 5?

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid
in your experience?

yes

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what
were they?

unfortunately, yes. megacolon, IBD, FELV, URIs (shelter "side-
effect")

Yeah, I'd also read about your experiences with IBD - it surprised me that
cats even *got* that, for some reason I thought that was a human-only
problem.

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected
medicines to a cat?

yes

Was it hard to do, were you queasy at first, if so how long did it take you
to get used to doing it?

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

Old April 8th 05, 11:52 PM
CatNipped

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1112998543.84d8bf734646303f1e856616418b245d@t eranews...

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

There is a lot of history going on here in rpch+b that I don't know

(or
even wish to know). But I *would* like to know more about the
experiences people here have had with cats.

To that end, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see if I could get some
data that might help me formulate opinions or weigh advice. So that
you'll have the same from me, I'll answer this first [my answers are

in
brackets].

[Please note, this is as unbiased as I can possibly make it and

certainly
*not* meant to start controversy, but if you feel a question is

phrased
in a provocative manner please feel free to change it. I'm not

asking
for or giving opinions, only data.]

survey snipped

You realize of course people may embellish their "qualifications" and

you
will have no way of knowing it.

You know, I really *didn't* think of that - I'm blushing and quite

abashed
and appalled at yet again showing my naiveté. Hopefully, though, folks

will
be honest - this isn't a contest about who knows the most.... um, I'm

doing
it again aren't I???!! sigh

Hugs,

CatNipped

Post what you like. A survey is a great idea. There are people who
will find it entertaining and people who don't. That's the nature of
a free and open forum.

I know, that's what I (and apparently lots of others) love *AND* hate about
usenet. It will probably take me a while to get over my naiveté and learn
how to separate the wheat from the chaff, but I like that fact that this is
the ultimate opportunity for people to practice "freedom of speech"
(although, IMHO, some should practice "freedom *FROM* speech"!!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 9th 05, 12:16 AM
jmc

How many cats to you currently live with?

one

What are their ages and sex?

8, female

Are they purebred or moggies?

moggie

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

spayed as soon as she was old enough

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm interested in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

no

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

dry, canned in the evening

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor, mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

indoor, outdoor only under supervision, in our fenced garden

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

only two

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

no

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

no, only dogs when I was a teen

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or cats in
particular?

yes, horses.

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

no idea. a few.

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

not offhand

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were they?

luxating patella, cystitis, and some sort of infection, almost a
hotspot, cause unknown but I'd guess a spider bite. She was in a collar
for 3 weeks, poor thing

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a cat?

not to a cat, but I've often given shots to horses.

jmc
Old April 9th 05, 12:19 AM
Justin L

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:10:08 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

snip intro

How many cats to you currently live with?

2

What are their ages and sex?

7 months, and about 1-1/2 yrs - both male

Are they purebred or moggies?

moggie woggies

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

yes, 5 months and 1 yr (approx)

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm interested in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

no

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

dry food - free fed, and canned twice a day - soon to be just canned

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor, mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

indoor only, Jake was outdoor previously, and he misses it sometimes.

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

1 childhood, and these 2 (I got Elwood about 4 months ago, Jake about
2)

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

no

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

no

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or cats in
particular?

no

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

4 - 5

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

not really

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were they?

Jake had round worm when I first adopted him

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a cat?

squirted medicine in Jake's mouth once. That doesn't count though does
it?

Thanks!

no problem!!

Justin

Old April 9th 05, 12:21 AM
Mary

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Mary wrote:
"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote:

There is a lot of history going on here in rpch+b that I don't know (or

even

wish to know). But I *would* like to know more about the experiences

people

here have had with cats.

To that end, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see if I could get some

data

that might help me formulate opinions or weigh advice. So that you'll

have

the same from me, I'll answer this first [my answers are in brackets].

[Please note, this is as unbiased as I can possibly make it and

certainly

*not* meant to start controversy, but if you feel a question is phrased

in a

provocative manner please feel free to change it. I'm not asking for

or
giving opinions, only data.]

survey snipped

You realize of course people may embellish their "qualifications" and
you will have no way of knowing it.

Well if they are sad enough to do that, I'm all for letting them.

Not that you have any say about it... in reference to your "I'm all for
letting them" comment.

I meant "letting them without getting my shorts in a permanent knot
like Joe seems to get his into over EVERYTHING these days."

Old April 9th 05, 12:24 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Right; except in cat terms 2 years can be a biggish gap .

[...]

It's a vestibular disturbance/illness of unknown origin. Spontaneously
arrives & spontaneously disappears.

My cat (Debbie) had episodes of it for 2- 3 years. Each episode had an
acute stage of a couple to several hours, & then gradually eased off each
time. A few to several episodes per year, with no discernable pattern.

Classic symptoms: cat is very off-balance/dizzy, may be nauseous as a
result, lethargic - since they feel so crummy, nystagmus - eyes dart from
side-to-side (although my cat didn't display this symptom), & a permanent
head tilt may be a leftover effect - which Debbie did display.

Debbie also had a mild seizure at the start of each episode.

The vet prescribed Meclizine to be given as soon as I noticed the subtle
symptoms of an approaching episode, to lessen her off-balance/dizziness -
which in turn, lessened her nausea, etc.

Hyperthyroidism
Liver disease (acute, then chronic)
CRF
kitty "colds"

Knew I forgot something:

UTI

Plus the common consitions/ailments of strays & shelter cats:
fleas, worms, ear mites, URI.

And a couple of stubborn hairballs, to the point where the cats were
starting to not feel well. Both eventually self-resolved. (IOW - *huge*
hairballs chucked up.) Both were long-haired cats.

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a

cat?

Yes:

sub-Q fluids
Procrit

How long did it take you to learn to give fluids?

I had several (5 - 6) lessons at the vets' office first. So... about 2 - 3
weeks of practice there, before going solo. (My vets' office is only 4
minutes fr. my house, door-to-door.)

Did it make you queasy
the first few times you did (it would be, I don't know if I could do that
first stick - hoping I never have to, but with a 15 year old I'm trying to
educate myself in case I do just to be realistic)?.

No, it didn't make me queasy. I did have some trouble getting the angle of
the stick right at first, though - getting through/under the skin. But
actually, the biggest problem I first had was handling everything at once -
with only 2 hands: the cat, the tubing, the thingamajig valve that opens &
closes the fluid's flow, & the needle.

Otoh, my vet said *she* _did_ have a big problem in vet school when doing
her very first stick: took her 45 minutes to work up the courage to get the
needle to make contact with the cat. ;-)

What's Procrit?

It's for anemia, when the PCV (packed cell volume) dips below "x" (18, 20??)
level. I've seen ads on TV for it - human cancer patients who become
anemic. I gave the injections of Procrit to Debbie when she had CRF, of
which anemia can be a by-product. Those injections were a cinch: no tubing,
just the needle attached to the syringe, & the needle is *tiny* - slipped
right in, no problem. And her PCV went back up to normal - 33-34, IIRC.

Cathy

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 9th 05, 12:28 AM
Joe Canuck

Mary wrote:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

Mary wrote:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Well, if that is what you meant to say then why didn't you the first
time around?

In any case, I never get my shorts in a knot... then again maybe I don't
wear shorts.

Old April 9th 05, 12:35 AM
Helen

"CatNipped" wrote in message
What's Procrit?

It's for anemia, when the PCV (packed cell volume) dips below "x" (18,

20??)
level. I've seen ads on TV for it - human cancer patients who become
anemic. I gave the injections of Procrit to Debbie when she had CRF, of
which anemia can be a by-product. Those injections were a cinch: no

tubing,
just the needle attached to the syringe, & the needle is *tiny* - slipped
right in, no problem. And her PCV went back up to normal - 33-34, IIRC.

Also known as Epogen or Eprex:

http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm#rhepo

Helen

Old April 9th 05, 12:45 AM
Mary

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
news
Mary wrote:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

Mary wrote:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Excellent question, Joe. I am but flesh and blood; even if I shot
for perfection I would necessarily miss the mark!

In any case, I never get my shorts in a knot... then again maybe I don't
wear shorts.

Well now that's a bit more than we needed to know. Then again,
it was I who broached the topic of undergarments.