Preventing mats

Old October 19th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Default Preventing mats

I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 19th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA

If you brush him every day, how can he have mats?

Using ANY brush?

Old October 19th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

---MIKE--- wrote:
I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA

Not a brush - use a medium-toothed grooming comb, preferably one that
is teflon-coated. You need to groom him from the hindquarters forward,
by lifting a section of hair and combing the hair *underneath* from
base to tip. Then release a bit more hair and repeat. Work your way
to the front of the cat. Use a fine-toothed comb on paws and face, and
any other areas where the hair tends to be shorter. (Or while his hair
is still short from the shave). You need to comb him every other day,
minimally, and until you get good at it, it may take as much as 45
minutes to an hour to do it properly.

Some day I will take some photos to demonstrate this technique. It's
much easier than it sounds.

Good luck,
-L.

Old October 19th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Thank you for the responses but that is NOT what I wanted to know. I
read a report about a brush that did a superior job of preventing and
removing mats. That is what I wanted to find out about.

Old October 20th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA

Hey Mike,

I haven't used the brush you mentioned so I can't offer a recommendation.

You remember my gal Suggie? She's a longhair- all white (blue eyes) that
look like a Turkish Angora http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg She
mats badly if I don't comb her every few days.

This is the comb I use- works great and only costs about $5.00

http://maxshouse.com/misc/sugieoogie_comb.jpg

You can order one from Petsmart or Petco online.

hth,

Phil

Old October 20th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Thanks Phil. Tiger objects to being combed but does like to be brushed.
Right now I am using a small brush purchased at a barber shop. It is
rubber with "bumps" similar to the "love glove" but a little more
aggressive. I'm not sure how it will work after his hair grows longer
but Tiger likes to be brushed with it right now.

Old October 20th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

---MIKE--- wrote:
Thanks Phil. Tiger objects to being combed but does like to be brushed.
Right now I am using a small brush purchased at a barber shop. It is
rubber with "bumps" similar to the "love glove" but a little more
aggressive. I'm not sure how it will work after his hair grows longer
but Tiger likes to be brushed with it right now.

Well, now you have had two people who know a hell of a lot about cats
(Phil who has been in cat rescue and welfare for 45 years, and myself,
who has been a professional cat groomer, vet tech and in animal welfare
and rescue for at something like 15 years) tell you to use a metal
grooming comb. Keep using brushes and your cat will get matts. It
really *is* that simple. Zoom Groom is a waste of money for
long-haired cats, as are all of those other supposed "great" gimmicks
on the market.

-L.

Old October 21st 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-L." wrote in message
ps.com...

---MIKE--- wrote:
Thanks Phil. Tiger objects to being combed but does like to be brushed.
Right now I am using a small brush purchased at a barber shop. It is
rubber with "bumps" similar to the "love glove" but a little more
aggressive. I'm not sure how it will work after his hair grows longer
but Tiger likes to be brushed with it right now.

Well, now you have had two people who know a hell of a lot about cats
(Phil who has been in cat rescue and welfare for 45 years, and myself,
who has been a professional cat groomer, vet tech and in animal welfare
and rescue for at something like 15 years) tell you to use a metal
grooming comb. Keep using brushes and your cat will get matts. It
really *is* that simple. Zoom Groom is a waste of money for
long-haired cats, as are all of those other supposed "great" gimmicks
on the market.

Mike still uses WebTV, too.

Old October 21st 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

You can go to hell MARY aka Cybercat. Right now I would be lost without
WebTV. I recently got home from a week in the hospital with Cellulitis.
Sitting at a computer desk would be difficult. Do you also pick on
people because they are black, or hispanic. As they say in England
-"get stuffed".

Old October 21st 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:27:27 +0000, Phil P. wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA

Hey Mike,

I haven't used the brush you mentioned so I can't offer a recommendation.

You remember my gal Suggie? She's a longhair- all white (blue eyes) that
look like a Turkish Angora http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg She
mats badly if I don't comb her every few days.

This is the comb I use- works great and only costs about $5.00

http://maxshouse.com/misc/sugieoogie_comb.jpg

You can order one from Petsmart or Petco online.

hth,

Phil

What a beautiful cat! MLB