Urinating problem

Old September 10th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dave

Default Urinating problem

Sorry did not spell check

Also should have read bleach does not always do the trick. It usually is
the best bet but can damage a lot of things, Never use products with
ammonia in it. Ammonia smells very similar to cat urine

Nice hint, thanks

Old September 10th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dave

I've rung the vets you would probably all like to know.. they want me to
get a urine sample.. How the hell do I do that!! Now I want the cat to
pee on the floor... although I chucked some tissue in the bin that I
soaked some up with before!

Good Man

I have to say you are one of the few that actually listen when it takes
calling a vet most people come in here and ask these questions and get
****ed when we tell them to go to a vet. Most want a quick fix.
internet slap on the back from the USA

Well thank you... Take a hand shake from Yorkshire, England :-) The way I
see it is that I took ownership of the cats so it's my problem.. simple I
say! Well.. simple but complicated eh!

Yes truly is a pain in the butt

I think my cat is thinking that too.. or pain in the bladder or something
anyway )

I decide many years ago it is just best to
let them do it. The money is well worth it.

Hmm .. I think i'll give it one try, I don't want to stress out the poor
thing..
Got a spare bathroom if so take a litter box line it with a plastic bag
make sure the box is clean put NO litter in it put the furball in the
bathroom with food and water close the door. Be ready for a possible
mess ;-)

I can see mess being the result but i'm going to have to try something.. I
ain't really got a spare room as the spare room is full of junk... that's
what they're for aint they?!

If you can't you need to tell the vet and it probably will take an over
night visit so they can properly collect the urine

I'll see what I can do.. I'll try your plastic bag thing I think in a room,
it the best suggestion I heard so far anyway.. Then I'll get some in a
syringe from an inkjet refill kit. Then spray my spare room with
****gone.com or whatever its called! Sounds ok in theory anyway..

Thanks again :-)

Old September 10th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dave

Got a spare bathroom if so take a litter box line it with a plastic bag
make sure the box is clean put NO litter in it put the furball in the
bathroom with food and water close the door. Be ready for a possible
mess ;-)

I mean one of the pans that you use. It will have the smell from being
used before. The clean part is no litter in it just the plastic bag as a
liner. the smell will permeate thru the bag so the cat thinks it is using
the litter box

Ah sounds a plan.. so just put a plastic bag over the litter tray? Or are
you suggesting putting a bag/liner underneath some litter? I can leave the
other cat out overnight or in a different room with another tray..

Old September 10th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Dave" wrote in message
.uk...
That's great you're a star Matthew:-) I will take all your points and work
through them.. I want her well first though so I will focus on the
infection possibility.

I've rung the vets you would probably all like to know.. they want me to
get a urine sample.. How the hell do I do that!! Now I want the cat to pee
on the floor... although I chucked some tissue in the bin that I soaked
some up with before!

Seroiusly.. any suggestions would be great.. The vets said they had some
litter which is non absorbent or they could express some from the cat if I
don't manage to get anything... Anyone done it before?

Cheers,
Dave

Your vet should be able to get a urine sample with a catheter - mine always
have because, like you, I don't know *how* you'd get a cat to pee in a vial
(also, when a woman has to give a urine sample to test for a UTI, it has to
be a "clean" sample (this is probably TMI, but you have to clean the
"outside" area to avoid outside bacteria contaminating the sample, then you
have to get urine during "mid-stream" for the same reason - I wouldn't
expect a cat to be able to do that, so a catheterization by the vet would be
necessary).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 10th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Mon 10 Sep 2007 01:42:57p, Matthew wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

You are like on crack today. lol

--
Cheryl

Nope just a SUGAR RUSH I made my giant double chocolate chip
cookies with peanut butter and raisins today. As any good baker
does I made a bakers dozen at least 3 times and an extra batch
just to "taste".

See what I did today. I based the recipe from one of my
favorite lady on Food Network

3 eggs
1 egg white
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 little dash of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 12-ounce jar creamy peanut butter
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup multi-colored chocolate candies
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup raisins,2 teaspoons baking soda
4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with
parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix
well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix
well. Stir in the chocolate candies, chocolate chips, raisins,
if using, baking soda, and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches
apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand for about 3
minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool,
store in large resealable plastic bags away from your hungry
eyes for they are delicious.

Yikes! I got reciped on H+B!! Sounds good though. Thanks for
the recipe. I will be making those!!

BTW - lots of good info for Dave from you. I was just messin' with
ya.

--
Cheryl

Old September 10th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message

"cindys" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message

Got a spare bathroom if so take a litter box line it with a plastic bag
make sure the box is clean put NO litter in it put the furball in the
bathroom with food and water close the door. Be ready for a possible
mess ;-)

If you can't you need to tell the vet and it probably will take an over
night visit so they can properly collect the urine

-------
Matthew, that's not true. My vet has taken urine samples from my cats on
multiple occasions. The vet tech takes the cat in the back and then
returns the cat 5 minutes later. I have never succeeded in trying to
collect a cat urine sample, and I haven't been asked to do so in years.
It takes only a few minutes at the vet office. I don't understand why any
vet is asking someone to try to do this on his own. The only problem I
have ever run into is if the cat has urinated right before the visit and
the bladder is empty. And the vet can tell if the bladder is full or
empty by palpation. But even at that, bringing the cat back the next day
for another try is still preferable to trying to do it yourself.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

I said probably for a reason. The reason is in my experiences none of my
cats thru the years have ever been able to be coaxed into doing it at the
vets office. Many vets don't have the time to do it that is why I said
it would probably take an over night visit. Many will collect the urine
and send it off with out having to see the vet. Everytime I have left
one over night they had the sample collected from the overnight staff.
They had the test already run and by the time I picked the furball up at
the end of the next day I had everything already ready to go.

Collecting it can be very easy if the cats would work with us ;-)

Vets don't have to wait for a cat to "go", they can get a sterile urine
sample quite easily by simply inserting a catheter.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 10th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Matthew" wrote in message

"cindys" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message

[...]

You have never tried to stick something up there on one of my cats. Even
my vet knows better specially Rumble bye bye fingers hand arm face ;-)

Wow, I didn't think any cat was badder than my Bandit - and the vet never
had any problems with her. What do you do when they need a "sterile" sample
(like for UTIs)?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 10th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 10 Sep, 18:42, "Matthew" wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

On Mon 10 Sep 2007 01:01:40p, Matthew wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

"Dave" wrote in message
o.uk...

Got a spare bathroom if so take a litter box line it with a
plastic bag make sure the box is clean put NO litter in it
put the furball in the bathroom with food and water close
the door. Be ready for a possible mess ;-)

I mean one of the pans that you use. It will have the smell
from being used before. The clean part is no litter in it
just the plastic bag as a liner. the smell will permeate thru
the bag so the cat thinks it is using the litter box

Ah sounds a plan.. so just put a plastic bag over the litter
tray? Or are you suggesting putting a bag/liner underneath some
litter? I can leave the other cat out overnight or in a
different room with another tray..
No use one of their pan that has been emptied out but not
cleaned. Basically no litter dirty pan. Put a fresh plastic
garbage bag over it. The smell is still there but the plastic
bag will prevent it from being soaked into any left over litter
and make it easy to collect. The ink refill syringe is the best
bet.

PS. it is called www.urinegone.com Naturals Miracle is a
good product also your pet store should carry something similar

You will be shocked once you use the black light. I carry one
when I travel. I have made many hotels come in and change the
linen before I even think about laying down.

[...]

resealable plastic bags away from your hungry eyes for they are delicious.- Hide quoted text -

Who said you don't learn plenty new, plenty of times...?
Sheelagh "o"

Old September 10th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Catman 07

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:57:24 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am hoping that you kind newsgroup members can help me establish why my cat
is urinaiting like she is. She is about 2.5 years old, is very much a
domestic cat and there is always a clean litter tray doen for her to use. I
have 2 cats, they wer sisters and have lived together all their lives. I
have had them about 2 years now.

The problem is, she likes to urinate in the house, standing and spraying
against furniture, walls, plastic bags, the fridge, DVD cases.. really
doesn't seem bothered at all! I have recently replaced a stinky carpet in my
living room for wood floor and she has, just this afternoon, urinated on the
side of a clean, dry cardboard box which has run onto my nice new floor. It
is really frustrating me!

Dave, Catman here. Did this come on SUDDENLY?! I think this would be
considered normal ongoing behavior for an un-neutered female cat,
ESPECIALLY if you have two females, with the exception of not covering
up in the cat box. How old was she when she was neutered?

I do occasionally see her using the litter tray but I rarely see her trying
to cover anything up, although I do ocaasionally see or hear her scratching
against the floor and then I know what she has just done!

They can go outside and I leave my door open most of the day to allow that,
but today, the door was left open and she chose to urinate inside on the
cardboard box.

Please help, I don't know what to do. She is such a loving, soft hearted
creature, really beautiful natured but has this horrible habit. I don't know
where to start. I use catsan litter. The other cat uses the tray or goes
outside, no problem at all. I have had many cats over the years and have
never seen this in a cat before.

One BIG question is: Are you feeding your cats DRY food? I found out
the HARD way how that can screw up cats. My cat got FLUTD, and one of
the most pronounced symptoms was urinating out of the box. He peed in
the bathtub (that was considerate of him, as it was easy to clean up,
but I don't think he is actually THAT smart) and on the floor near his
box. Peeing out-of-the-box only lasted for two days. He also didn't
cover what pee he did do in the box, at that time. Switching him to
canned fish dinner cat food, imho, fwiw, cured him of his FLUTD, in
about a week.

See: www.markshouse.com for more info.
Catman

I would massively appreciate any advice you could give me.

Many thanks for your time,
David

Old September 11th 07, 11:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Dave" wrote in message
.uk...

Seroiusly.. any suggestions would be great.. The vets said they had some
litter which is non absorbent or they could express some from the cat if
I don't manage to get anything... Anyone done it before?

Just to clarify.. I didn't mean done the expressing.. I aint doing that..
I meant getting a sample..

I read that back and it didn't sound clear.

The vet might be able to provide you with some clear plastic 'pearls' that
you put in a clean litter box. When the cat urinates in the box you can pour
off the urine into a clean container and take that to the vet. At least
that's how we did it with my Isabelle. Turns out she had crystals in her
urine and also has chronic kidney infections so there was a reason for my
girl to be peeing outside the box.

Wendy