OT Sorry

Old June 8th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default OT Sorry

I haven't been posting because I got my @$$ handed to me from the doctor
about using my right arm. He sat down, with pictures, and showed me what he
had to do during my surgery. Besides taking out my biceps tendon, and saw
the ends off of two bones, he had to literally piece together my rotator
cuff (the rotator cuff is actually a group of tendons criss-crossed over (or
under?) the shoulder bone. To patch together the rotator cuff, he had trim
all those torn and shredded tendons; screw a metal corkscrew into my
shoulder bone and then sew each tendon and "anchor" it to this little pin.
If I were to snap one of those threads or pull out that small pin, there
would not be enough tissue left to fix it and I would probably lose most of
the use of my right arm.

I have to do *everything* with my left arm, so typing takes forever. I have
to be much more careful not to "accidentally" move my right arm for 2 more
weeks. Well, that was the date of when I was supposed to go back to work,
so the doctor "upped" my STD leave time from 6 weeks to 10 weeks, leaving me
two weeks of "active" PT so I can re-learn how to use my right arm.

Now I'm looking at 6 more weeks out of work (I'm sure my boss is "thrilled"
about that). So now I'm more worried than ever about being laid off when I
do get back.

Well, all of that, taking 40 minutes to write ;, to say I'm sorry I haven't
been keeping up, (and I hate this) sending blanket purrs and hugs.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old June 8th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Lori, I made this suggestion some time ago, and I wonder if you looked into
it (or possibly were already familiar with it). That is, Dragon Naturally
Speaking might help with typing, both at home and at the office. It permits
you to speak instead of using your hands for typing. I have never used it,
but I understand that it does take some time to "train" it, but that surely
would be better than trying to type with one hand.

MaryL

Old June 9th 10, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Continue to baby that arm as much as you need to. Purrs for rapid and
complete healing.

--
Joy

Don't believe everything you think

Old June 9th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
at

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:00:55 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

[...]

Wow, this sounds really terrible!

I hurt my right arm back in 2006, and I couldn't tie my shoes, or use
the computer very much.

But, there wasn't a sword hanging over me if I overdid it, just more
pain for me.

Sending purrs that your shoulder heals well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100608-1, 06/08/2010
Tested on: 6/8/2010 8:28:27 PM

Old June 9th 10, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I did, but we can't afford it for home use and the way I type at work (e.g.
editing existing documents rather than straight letters) couldn't be
accomodated by a speech program (I most correct columns of numbers for
government forms that we fill out for our clients.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 9th 10, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know if it would be any use to you, but I once had a program
that would read the numbers off a computer spreadsheet to me so I
could check them without looking back and forth between documents.

Old June 9th 10, 06:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gabey8[_2_]

On Jun 8, 9:44*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I think there might be different flavors of Dragon for different uses.
I know when my cousin (who has cerebral palsy) got it years ago, there
were multiple versions of it, for personal use, for use in medical
settings, and I'm not sure what other versions there were anymore.

It might be worth taking a look-see to find out if there are either
versions of Dragon that are designed for the kind of use you make of a
computer during work, or any competing products that would be well-
suited for you to use.

I feel awful for you. I've seen what it's like to have major surgery
on a shoulder. My mom had a serious accident in 2001 that caused,
among other things, broken bones in the shoulder area and a dislocated
shoulder. Repair surgery involved a lot of reconstructive work in
putting the soft tissue in her shoulder back together. I tip my cap to
the orthopedist who did the work, because her shoulder was a disaster
area -- I think there were more things in there damaged than there
were intact parts. Given her age (70), it's never going to be 100% but
it's definitely close enough that she's able to live a normal life.

Recovery involves doing what the doctor says, though... absolutely not
fun when it restricts activity so severely. But at least the "no
movement at all" restriction is only a temporary, if necessary, evil.

Sending lots of purrs and wags that the weeks until you're allowed to
use the arm again SPEED by.

Donna, Captain and Stanley, and MIni
Old June 9th 10, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
BfloPolska

On Jun 8, 4:00*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
I haven't been posting because I got my @$$ handed to me from the doctor
about using my right arm. *He sat down, with pictures, and showed me what he
had to do during my surgery. *

(respectful snip)

YOWCH!!! Rest that arm, please! As for the boss...well, if I could
spell a raspberry, I'd do it and invite you to hand it to him.
Besides, if you're on real, honest-to-ouch disability, I don't think
the joker can lay you off. You would have so much legal recourse that
he'd need a truss to carry the imposing weight of it around.

At the risk of trodding well-worn paths, I encourage you to look at
the voice-recognition software that has been mentioned by several
others. I'm thinking also that if you register with your local
disability-advocacy office (ask your local United Way chapter where to
go) you may get a grant or some kind of assistance in obtaining and
installing the software. This is because of the "reasonable
accomodations" ruling set up in your friend and mine, the Americans
with Disabilities Act. Do check it out, please. Our local Independent
Living Center has helped people get wheelchair-accessible vans so they
can drive themselves and not be shlepped by others; they helped me
redo my resume so I could pull myself out of the hell wherein I was
employed; and helped in legal instances with schmucks like your boss.

And again, rest that poor downtrodden shoulder! I had an A/C
separation that took years to heal, and that was because I was stupid
and went back to physical labor too quickly. Treat yourself well!

Blessed be,
Baha
Old June 9th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"BfloPolska" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks so much for that information - I had no idea that there WAS such an
entity! I'm printing this out so Ben can check it out when he gets home.