Two cats is better?

Old April 7th 04, 03:52 PM
trents32

Default Two cats is better?

We are considering getting a cat.
Will a cat be happier with companionship of 2nd cat.
Is there an issue getting two cats?
Does it matter if they both male or female or a mix when both are nuetered
and spayed?
We lost our cat and to have enough cats for everyone in family to share I
thought 2 cats would be good.

Thank you for any thoughts

Old April 7th 04, 06:26 PM
Cat Protector

I think it is always a nice idea to get another cat. The two can keep each
other company when you are at work, on vacation, etc. It doesn't matter what
the sex is. I have to females for example that get along pretty well. But of
course if you are pressured into balance male/female is always good too.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old April 8th 04, 04:28 AM
JoJo

I've always heard it's best to have them in "pairs". One of the shelters
vet techs tells me that - not sure why. I've only got seven......of my own!

JoJo
http://home.comcast.net/~zookeepr/fosters.html

Old April 8th 04, 06:21 PM
Luvskats00

If you're in a situation where you are thinking of getting 2 cats, why not see
if there are 2 cats already waiting to be adopted (who are already used to one
another). It's great when 2 cats don't have to be separated! Maybe a mom and
baby or 2 siblings ready for a loving home! Good luck.
Old April 11th 04, 04:18 AM
Kalyahna

"trents32" wrote in message
We are considering getting a cat.
Will a cat be happier with companionship of 2nd cat.
Is there an issue getting two cats?
Does it matter if they both male or female or a mix when both are

nuetered
and spayed?
We lost our cat and to have enough cats for everyone in family to share I
thought 2 cats would be good.

Thank you for any thoughts

Check with your local shelter. Much of the time, shelters will have "bonded
pairs" available. These are cats that likely were raised together or have
lived together for a long time, and separating them can lead to depression,
lack of appetite, illness, etc for the individuals. Bonded pairs usually
take quite awhile to get adopted, so I'm sure your local shelter would be
thrilled that you're interested in two!

A benefit of adopting a bonded pair as opposed to two cats strange to each
other is that you do not have to deal with introducing the cats to each
other on top of bringing them into a new home. These cats will help keep
each other calm while they're learning the ropes of their new home, and
they'll keep each other busy while you're occupied (sleeping or working or
whatnot).

Old April 11th 04, 07:28 PM
Cat Protector

Some shelters actually have cat rooms where the felines are able to interact
with each other. You can adopt pairs this way too.

Old April 11th 04, 11:55 PM
Cheryl

"Kalyahna" dumped this in
on 10 Apr 2004:

Check with your local shelter. Much of the time, shelters will have
"bonded pairs" available. These are cats that likely were raised
together or have lived together for a long time, and separating them
can lead to depression, lack of appetite, illness, etc for the
individuals. Bonded pairs usually take quite awhile to get adopted, so
I'm sure your local shelter would be thrilled that you're interested
in two!

A benefit of adopting a bonded pair as opposed to two cats strange to
each other is that you do not have to deal with introducing the cats
to each other on top of bringing them into a new home. These cats will
help keep each other calm while they're learning the ropes of their
new home, and they'll keep each other busy while you're occupied
(sleeping or working or whatnot).

Even a non-bonded pair but know each other can be successful. One of the
SPCA fosterers I used to know had many many foster cats in her care and
even those who weren't really a "pair" did well together. Last summer, I
also found a home for two stray kitties hanging around here and while
they weren't buddies (two adult males), they are amazingly bonded now. It
only took a short separation period and now they are inseparable.

--
Cheryl