Smudgie's Proud Catch

Old June 18th 13, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie

Default Smudgie's Proud Catch

As some of you may remember (I haven't posted here for a long while) Smudgie
has a garden enclosure, which we got for her after she went missing for 3
weeks some years ago. She loves her enclosure and has been making the most
of it during the few days of summer we have had so far this year.

Yesterday was also a nice day so Smudgie had been outside in it almost all
day. Early afternoon she came into the house (through the lounge window)
with something hanging out of her mouth. At first I though it was a large
leaf but when she dropped it on the floor it was a baby bird. I shooed her
away to see if she had hurt the poor thing. It was small and just starting
to get it's adult feathers .. and was cheeping it's head off. It had a
small amount of blood under it's head but seemed quite perky considering. I
popped it into a little box and rang my local vet for advice. He said to
take it in, which we did. After a quick examination he said that it was in
a reasonable condition so he would glue the wound shut, give it some
antibiotic and take it home to nurse it "where he had some mushed up juicy
mean worms" for it

When I got home Smudgie was "killing" her toy mousie. I think she was
annoyed that I didn't have the decency to eat the delicacy she brought in
for me. In hindsight I wondered how she got the bird in the first place?
It must have either blown in through the wire of her enclosure from a nest
high up or got dropped in there from a bird of prey. Either way, I'm happy
I could do something to help it.

Old June 18th 13, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:59:51 +0100, "Sharon & Smudgie"
wrote:

[...]

Always nice to help out a little critter.

I was biking home yesterday through Flushing Meadows Corona Park and
there was a pretty big (maybe 10") turtle in the middle of the
roadway. Cars aren't supposed to be there but it was likely to get hit
by someone on a bike. So I pulled on some gloves, picked it up,
put it in my pannier, and headed off to the zoo (not too far away in
the park). The zoo was apparently closing but I found a security guard
who asked if it was one of theirs.

I looked a bit perplexed and he laughed and said to just put it
through the fence near the turtle pond. So I did; the bottom of the
fence was lined with some chicken wire to keep critters from crawling
through but this one had managed the trick.

Last I saw, the turtle was just sitting on the other side of the fence
but I'm hopeful that it found its way to the pond. I've been in there
and it is a very nice place to live if you happen to be a turtle. This
one must have had wanderlust. Or maybe it had just wandered from the
Flushing River but I doubt that they even live there. And that would
be a far longer walk for a turtle than just getting out of the zoo.

I should have video of this since I had my helmet cam on the whole
time but I didn't bike today so I'll have to check it tonight and
figure out how to post it, or at least get some stills from it.
Old June 18th 13, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/18/2013 6:59 AM, Sharon & Smudgie wrote:
[...]

Nice to see you back, Sharon! Well, Smudgie did a good job not killing
the bird and you and the vet with the worms did a good job of saving it.

Jill
Old June 18th 13, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Sharon & Smudgie
wrote:
[...]

As much as I like birds if one gets into a cat enclosure that's a Darwin
award of how not to survive.
Since KFC, Boyfie rarely catches birdies.
It's way too much trouble for himself. He does go out for rat patrol every
night but hasn't caught a small one since last year.

He's 11 now and maybe he can't be bothered.

Tweed

Old June 19th 13, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:
[...]

He looked at you and thought, "She's retired. Maybe I should do the same."

--
Joyce

"Bacteria, with a few more bells and whistles."
-- Bonnie Bassler, describing human beings
Old June 20th 13, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

I do expect him to try at the small rats now far too lazy about catching
them.
He was never brave about the big ones. He expects the terriers to come to
save him from the difficulty.
I have to keep him in if the terriers come otherwise he would be killed in
an instant.
they kill everything in their path.

They are great with rat killing but not so good with cats.

ings