lazer pointers

Old January 24th 12, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_2_]

Default lazer pointers

is lazer pointer use entertaining and stimulating for the cat also?
or do the readers here consider it cat torment?

I mean it is pretty funny to watch a cat chase something they can never
catch.
I do wonder if it is causing cat distress though.
Do any readers here engage in this activity? ¿

Matt

Old January 24th 12, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M[_2_]

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:23:35 -0600, Matt Ferrari wrote:

is lazer pointer use entertaining and stimulating for the cat also? or
do the readers here consider it cat torment?

I mean it is pretty funny to watch a cat chase something they can never
catch.
I do wonder if it is causing cat distress though. Do any readers here
engage in this activity? ¿

Matt

No doubt about it, they love it! If it caused them distress they wouldn't
chase it.

It's actually a good way to get otherwise sedentary cats to get some
exercise.

Dan

Old January 24th 12, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"Matt Ferrari" wrote in message
is lazer pointer use entertaining and stimulating for the cat also?
or do the readers here consider it cat torment?

I mean it is pretty funny to watch a cat chase something they can never
catch.
I do wonder if it is causing cat distress though.
Do any readers here engage in this activity? ¿

Matt

Since our cats arrived, I've tried to play different games with them.
Agatha loves to play with a stick that has feathers on it. It's a sedentary
game. I lay the stick on a shelf on my bookcase. Sometimes during the
evening she tries to find it, climbs all over my bookcases, finds it and
drops it on the floor. Sometimes she drags it around the house. Then she
forgets about it until the next evening, when the treasure hunt begins
again.

Edgar has a few games. No interest in sticks with stuff on them. He kicks
around a little felt mouse that has a bell attached, but otherwise his
favorite toy is the laser pointer. He'll whine and meow and nothing stops it
until I get the little laser toy. Then he scoots around our basement chasing
it. I usually get tired of it before he does :-).

I read somewhere that it's not good to shine the laser directly in cats'
eyes, but otherwise it's a wonderful game for those cats which like it, and
gives them an opportunity to exercise.

Jay

Old January 24th 12, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 01/24/2012 10:23 AM, Matt Ferrari wrote:
is lazer pointer use entertaining and stimulating for the cat also?
or do the readers here consider it cat torment?

I mean it is pretty funny to watch a cat chase something they can never
catch.
I do wonder if it is causing cat distress though.
Do any readers here engage in this activity? ¿

Matt

TuTu gave up on chasing the red dot after many tries to catch it. She
decided it was wasted energy. She still enjoys a catnip stuffed mousie
from time to tine. MLB
Old January 24th 12, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Matt Ferrari" wrote in message
is lazer pointer use entertaining and stimulating for the cat also?
or do the readers here consider it cat torment?

I mean it is pretty funny to watch a cat chase something they can never
catch.
I do wonder if it is causing cat distress though.
Do any readers here engage in this activity? ¿

Matt

Mine love it I could sit there for hours and use it and they would love
every second of it

Old January 24th 12, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Matt Ferrari" wrote in message
is lazer pointer use entertaining and stimulating for the cat also?
or do the readers here consider it cat torment?

I mean it is pretty funny to watch a cat chase something they can never
catch.
I do wonder if it is causing cat distress though.
Do any readers here engage in this activity? ¿

Matt

I used to have two cats who loved to chase that red dot. However, the two I
have now just aren't interested.

Joy

Old January 24th 12, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Dan M wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:23:35 -0600, Matt Ferrari wrote:

is lazer pointer use entertaining and stimulating for the cat also? or
do the readers here consider it cat torment?

I mean it is pretty funny to watch a cat chase something they can never
catch.
I do wonder if it is causing cat distress though. Do any readers here
engage in this activity? ¿

Matt

No doubt about it, they love it! If it caused them distress they wouldn't
chase it.

It's actually a good way to get otherwise sedentary cats to get some
exercise.

Without the humans having to get any ourselves.

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker