Urgent--uncontrollable cat diarrhea

Old May 20th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Linda J.

Default Urgent--uncontrollable cat diarrhea

Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.

We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
and her and our male subsequently had kittens. The kittens were born
on February 28th and are still nursing. The vet told us not to make
her stop, that she would stop when ready. She has now developed
diarrhea so severe that any pressure on her stomach, such as us
picking her up, brings it on. I'm wondering if the prolonged nursing
has affected her health. We can't afford to take her to the vet until
Thursday, and am wondering if anyone has any home remedies we could
try. We have tried removing food overnight, but that did not help.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old May 21st 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

Linda J. wrote:

Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.

We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
and her and our male subsequently had kittens. The kittens were born
on February 28th and are still nursing. The vet told us not to make
her stop, that she would stop when ready. She has now developed
diarrhea so severe that any pressure on her stomach, such as us
picking her up, brings it on. I'm wondering if the prolonged nursing
has affected her health. We can't afford to take her to the vet until
Thursday, and am wondering if anyone has any home remedies we could
try. We have tried removing food overnight, but that did not help.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It could indeed be stress-related, or caused by an as yet undetected
parasite or illness. From your description, there does seem to be
something very wrong with her gastrointestinal system.

Keep her off food for another 12 to 24 hours, but make sure she has
water (not milk or any other drink, just water) to prevent dehydration.
After that, feed her small portions of equal parts of cooked rice and
chicken baby food, and keep lots of water for her.

If the diarrhea has evidence of blood, or is fluid, or has a very foul
odor, don't wait until Thursday. Call the vet ASAP, ask to come in right
away, and ask about the possibility of a payment plan or paying on a
later date. If the vet refuses, keep calling others and don't stop until
you find one who will. But get that cat in as soon as you can if any of
the aforementioned conditions exist; they are possible signs of a very
serious illness that must be attended to urgently.
Old May 21st 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Linda J.

On May 20, 7:22 pm, Noon Cat Nick
wrote:
Linda J. wrote:
[...]

serious illness that must be attended to urgently.- Hide quoted text -

Thankfully there is not blood.

I'll try not feeding her again, and thanks so much for your advice.
I'll keep you posted.

BTW, her name is Jessica.

Old May 21st 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Linda J." wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.

We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
and her and our male subsequently had kittens.

Diarrhea will kill her before Thursday.

Old May 21st 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Linda J." wrote
I'll try not feeding her again, and thanks so much for your advice.
I'll keep you posted.

BTW, her name is Jessica.

Please take Jessica to the vet before Thursday. I think she has
had this diarrhea for too long. When cats get dehydrated it is
very dangerous. The vet will work with you. (Hock something
if you need to.)

Old May 21st 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gaius

On May 20, 6:56 pm, "Linda J." wrote:
Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.

We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
and her and our male subsequently had kittens. The kittens were born
on February 28th and are still nursing. The vet told us not to make
her stop, that she would stop when ready. She has now developed
diarrhea so severe that any pressure on her stomach, such as us
picking her up, brings it on. I'm wondering if the prolonged nursing
has affected her health. We can't afford to take her to the vet until
Thursday, and am wondering if anyone has any home remedies we could
try. We have tried removing food overnight, but that did not help.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,
I am not a vet, but I sure have had a lot of cats. Over the years my
cats have had 4 litters. I never observed a phenomenon of diarrhea
such as you are describing that was related to nursing. I really just
wanted to emphasize a point in one of the earlier replies.

Contrary to popular opinion, it is never advisable to give a cat
milk. It promotes diarrhea. As the other author indicated, water is
the drink of choice.

If I were in your position, I would make an appointment to see the
vet. I would also ask about the advisability of using products
available over the counter to control the problem. Under the
circumstances, you might find out the vet's opinion on weaning at this
time.

We rescued a kitten, not long ago, who was 5-6 weeks old (we
thought). There was a problem contacting my vet due to a weekend and
holiday. The kitten obviously didn't know what to do with cat food,
but he was obviously hungry. I dabbed my finger in the food and got
the kitten to lick it. I slowly lowered my finger into the food, and
the little guy discovered he could lick that too. The plate was clean
shortly thereafter. We were careful, however, not to feed him a lot,
and waited around 6 hours before we fed him again. He didn't
understand about drinking water either, but the same technique worked
for that also.

Old May 21st 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Linda J.

On May 20, 9:51 pm, Gaius wrote:
On May 20, 6:56 pm, "Linda J." wrote:

[...]

Thank you to everyone for their input. We phoned the emergency clinic
at about 8:30 p.m. and they were very understanding. We brought
Jessica in and they are keeping her at least overnight on an IV and
will then run tests. They do have payment options, which was a
relief, and Jessica is now getting the care she needs. The vet thinks
the kittens will do fine, as they are old enough to be weaned.

Again, thank you, it's a relief to know you are here.

Old May 21st 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Linda,

Your cat needs to go to the the vet right away. That kind of diarrhea is
very dangerous. It could also be a sign of something like feline
distemper or parasites which could affect the kittens.

Having a litter can be expensive -- but when you chose to take on that
responsibility you've got to beg, borrow, or ask the vet to delay
payment, but your cat cannot wait for medical treatment.

I would also NOT withhold food. You can do that to dogs, but not to
cats. Cats can develop liver problems from not eating. Our cat had a
condition which is treated by fasting dogs, but never cats because the
risk is too high.

What are you feeding her? Have you changed food recently? Nursing moms
should be on a good quality kitten food. They need the extra nutrients.
Our vet had us change our mom-cat over slowly to not upset her system.
Hope your cat is eating wet cat food for the extra moisture.

Let us know what happens.

Rhonda

Old May 21st 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

Linda J. wrote:

Thank you to everyone for their input. We phoned the emergency clinic
at about 8:30 p.m. and they were very understanding. We brought
Jessica in and they are keeping her at least overnight on an IV and
will then run tests. They do have payment options, which was a
relief, and Jessica is now getting the care she needs. The vet thinks
the kittens will do fine, as they are old enough to be weaned.

Again, thank you, it's a relief to know you are here.

Thank you for letting us know. Please keep us appraised on Jessica's
situation, if you would.
Old May 21st 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 21 May, 00:43, "Linda J." wrote:
On May 20, 7:22 pm, Noon Cat Nick
wrote:

Linda J. wrote:
[...]

BTW, her name is Jessica.- Hide quoted text -

just take thecat to the vet and explain your financial situation, they
will help you, your cat will not survive until thursday unless you do
something NOW

home remedies are not enough you cat needs serious medical attention
immediately and when she is better you really must get her spayed,
very irresponsible to have allowed such a young cat to have kittens
with your tom, she is still a kitten herself really

bookie